scratch build Trailer for my diesel Jeep Cj5

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks good!
Two suggestions. Lose the rear bar bumper it hinders departure angles. I would shorten the tongue a little.

Thanks! Yeah I have thought about getting rid of the bumper... I may cut it off or just move it up about 6 inches. As for as the tongue goes. I didn't realize it was so long until I hooked it to the jeep and stepped back. What is a good guild line for length?

Looks good!
Two suggestions. Lose the rear bar bumper it hinders departure angles. I would shorten the tongue a little.

Thanks! People often comment on the view on our property....I kind of got used to it. Thanks for reminding me to stop and enjoy it. The cj5 has been a project of mine since I was 15. We have been through a lot together. I let it sit for the 4 years right after I got married. I was really busy and couldn't afford to fuel it....the economy of the diesel engine has given it a new lease on life. It is now my daily driver. I cant wait to get this trailer done and take it on some trips.

Wow what a view!
Nice work on the trailer, the 5 is sweet.

ober27

Adventurer
As much as I like your trailer and your jeep, I would really like to see more of your one of.a kind motorcycle.
It appears you.are a man of many talents.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Not sure of length ratio but a foot shorter would look proportional. That is unless you are mounting a spare or tongue box.
What town in Pa are you from? That is a great view.

Xrunner

Explorer
For length maybe compare the hitch to axle measurement of the trailer to the front wheel to back wheel measurement of the Jeep and then adjust a bit as needed?

The other thing I would check is what part of the trailer hits the jeep bumper first when you jackknife backing up. This part shouldn't be an issue though with your Jeep and trailer.

Thanks! Yeah I am hoping to paint it to match and run some black steelies to match. I will probably take your advice and take a foot or so off of the tongue. I see you are from Pa too! I live near williamsport. About 20 mins away from where the have the little league world series. Where are you from?

Matching green paint with black steel wheels will finish off the trailer very nice.

ober27

Adventurer
Sure I will post a few pics of the bike..... The cafe bike on the bench?.....or the scrambler/sidecar bike?
I.would really enjoy seeing more of the scrambler when you have a chance.
A thought on the trailer, if you plan on hauling a canoe or kayak, you may want to load them and see where they sit before cutting the tongue off. I also like room for the trailer spare tire and/or a storage box on the front.
Thanks for sharing this build with us.

I will add some pics of the bike but for now, if you got to www.xs400.com there is a full write-up and a link to the build thread on the home page. Since the article I have made some suspension upgrades and a few other little things.

I.would really enjoy seeing more of the scrambler when you have a chance.
A thought on the trailer, if you plan on hauling a canoe or kayak, you may want to load them and see where they sit before cutting the tongue off. I also like room for the trailer spare tire and/or a storage box on the front.
Thanks for sharing this build with us.

I really don't want to do this but my wife says I should keep track of how much I spend on this trailer build. I know this will only depress me. Especially since I haven't really bought anything cool yet. Here it is so far. ( shipping included on on-line items)

trailer tub (box) $100.00
Axle/springs/etc. $181.57
24' .250 wall 2.5" $103.91
24' .120 wall 2" $81.50

Total so far $466.98

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk