Simple Shower

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
So, I've gotten a 2 liter soda bottle. Threads fit, as you already knew. I mis- wrote my comment about threads fitting. I did not want to apply a different threaded device (simple shower) to the smart cap and risk damaging the smart cap threads so its cap would not tighten/seal when I am transporting it full and capped.
I recognize a dribble at the shower thread is not important. It might be the engineer in me.

Also, i really think this device is a great idea. Not purposely raining on your parade.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Thanks jeffjeeptj :) I recognize it wasn't purposeful, and believe me when I say I welcome such good constructive criticism. It helps me ensure that everyone knows the pros and cons of the Simple Shower (and did you mean to end with such an awesome pun :bowdown:?).

Geodoc

Adventurer
Thanks Mark - I'm already on that. The hard part as the manufacturer is getting retailers to listen/respond. Once they see it in action, then they go "yeah, that's kewl", but trying to get them to see it.... Even one of our own local retailers that prides itself on buying local won't return calls, even though I've provided a sample. Ah, well, just need to keep knocking on doors.

kai38

Explorer
I bought two bottles of soda and dumped them out, then spray painted the bottles black. I'm going to place them in my roof rack this weekend to see how warm/hot they get while up there. Testing them out for a AZ/UT trip this summer.

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks all. To those who have purchased, any feedback?

Works well with the soda bottles as designed. No dice on the MSR dromedary bag. The threaded part is far too small. Haven't used it camping yet, but I think the large platypus bottles will be the best, as they pack down tiny.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
The ONLY comment that isn't positive...and this isn't a negative either...is maybe the holes could be a few thousands smaller. You do get great flow...maybe just a smidge more than needed.
Now granted I have only washed my hair with it so far and the flow is more than enough for rinsing all of the shampoo out.
I haven't tried it in the field yet but did do a full shampoo and rinse in the bathtub just as I would in the field.
A 2 litlre bottle was perfect for the whole operation. I have also figured out how much to fill my coffee pot so when I add that boiling water and then enough cold water to a 2 litlre bottle I get a perfect temp for washing...not to hot and not to cold.

BTW do NOT pour boiling water in a plastic soda bottle it will shrink and looses about 10% of the volume. Instead have the bottle 1/2 full of cool water to temper the hot.

GREAT IDEA and product.

Darrell

Geodoc

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback Darrell. That point about boiling water is extremely important (which is why we limit the water temp to 104F). I actually use a bottle in my display booth at shows showing what happens when you add boiling water. While the Simple Shower can take it, the bottle can't.

kai38

Explorer
If I spray paint a soda bottle black would it work better to be all blacked out or have a "window" a non painted area left on the bottle to help absorb sunlight?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback Darrell. That point about boiling water is extremely important (which is why we limit the water temp to 104F). I actually use a bottle in my display booth at shows showing what happens when you add boiling water. While the Simple Shower can take it, the bottle can't.

When I did poured the boiling water in I watched the bottle shrink in just a few seconds...it was pretty cool to watch actually, very unexpected. I would have thought, if anything, the bottle would have gotten soft and bulged out. Only the section of the bottle in contact with the hot water was affected.

Darrell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy