Simple Shower

Geodoc

Adventurer
If I spray paint a soda bottle black would it work better to be all blacked out or have a "window" a non painted area left on the bottle to help absorb sunlight?

Don't know the answer to that. When I did the test using a bottle with paint, it was spray painted only on one side, much like the solar showers are. I believe if you paint it all black it would probably heat up faster, but by leaving the side facing the sun clear you can also disinfect the water (if you leave it in direct sunlight for 6 hours). Solar disinfecting - the poor person's UV sterilization pen :)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm thinking if you did wear out that hole some sugru would be a good patching solution.

I find the 2 part epoxy putty to be really useful - and it lasts longer than Sugru (which has a 6 month shelf life). I recently cut into a stick of putty that had to be at least 5 years old and it worked perfectly.

Dawg-Epoxy-Putty-Sticks-150-2-lg.jpg

kai38

Explorer
I did a quick test on two bottles today.
One completely blacked out (bottle 1) and 2nd I left a 3in wide "window" on the bottle (bottle 2).
Both filled to the top with very little air space in them.
Both were spray painted with black PlastiDip paint.
Water temp from the kitchen sink was 58 degrees
After sitting in the sun for 1/2 an hour temps in bottle 1 went to 82 degrees
Bottle 2 went to 80 degrees
After 1 1/2 hours both bottles were at 100 degrees
So I don't think the window made a difference, I'll leave them as they are and test them while in the roof rack on the next trip.

bottle 2.jpg

bottle 6.jpg

bottle 8.jpg

Attachments

• bottle 3.jpg
    bottle 3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 41

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Don't know the answer to that. When I did the test using a bottle with paint, it was spray painted only on one side, much like the solar showers are. I believe if you paint it all black it would probably heat up faster, but by leaving the side facing the sun clear you can also disinfect the water (if you leave it in direct sunlight for 6 hours). Solar disinfecting - the poor person's UV sterilization pen :)

While the UV MAY kill some pathogens the light will certainly promote algae growth. If you drain it each night maybe not a problem but leave it on a roof rack for a few days and you might have a shower/spa treatment all in one!

Geodoc

Adventurer
One completely blacked out (bottle 1) and 2nd I left a 3in wide "window" on the bottle (bottle 2).

Can you advise what air temps were? Even a ballpark figure helps.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Jr Explorer, not sure how many days need to pass to promote algae growth, but here's an excellent link to the SODIS method that's being used throughout the developing world.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
So I don't think the window made a difference, I'll leave them as they are and test them while in the roof rack on the next trip.

Thanks for test and data

kai38

Explorer
Can you advise what air temps were? Even a ballpark figure helps.

It was in the mid 70s that time of day
I also tested how hot my kitchen water was it got to 105 degrees, that felt too hot to take a shower in.
Maybe mixing the bottles with water for another container would make a comfortable shower.
I'll use it next week on a trip to AZ & NM

Geodoc

Adventurer
It was in the mid 70s that time of day
I also tested how hot my kitchen water was it got to 105 degrees, that felt too hot to take a shower in.
Maybe mixing the bottles with water for another container would make a comfortable shower.
I'll use it next week on a trip to AZ & NM

Thanks for the infokai38. Let me know how it works out for you (wish I could be down there - love the SW).

HennyJenny

Observer
Just ordered mine! Can't wait to try it out! I take a whole brood of kids with me when I go camping, this will be perfect for cleaning up in the evening. Thank you for designing this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy