Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I don’t agree with this being a for sale thread. I may be in the minority. But boooooo glws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Getting rid of ol trusty
686b19aff8b1b67884e2c2754f6c8e9f.jpg

If I take out the latch and trim a little metal I got this at Costco the coleman gladiator!

da1f50f96d9a7bd3a281fc4bfca84a2f.jpg

2b2158cf2c8f3a5fbf8e7b233b7d311e.jpg

7fe44d2285b29c4fe9431bc5f0b49e53.jpg

708590f5d5fb5194f86bcc8f8f8e1784.jpg

agussio

I'm new here, but I would like to say thank you for all the inspiration and cool setups I see on here. I am looking for feedback or help with a couple of ideas and short comings I'm running in to.

I've had my Scout for a couple years now, but this year we decided to get serious and make it "ours". We sold the SmittyBilt RTT and awning that came with it, because we dont RTT anymore (dogs), and we wanted a bigger awning.

Ventilation? Has anyone else installed air vents for the box? I have a fridge and Goal Zero that will be in the back, but I want to try and keep the temps at ambient levels.
What are people using to run wiring in/out of the main box? I have though about using marine seals, but I wondering if there is an easier way.

And finally, where are people getting replacement parts? I need to get a new jack and support for the rear. One of mine is missing.

Thanks in advance
-Anthony20210630_233812114_iOS.jpg

2018 Scout (after the frame changes)
Partner Steel 18" grill
CFX3 75DZ
Goal Zero Boulder 100w mounted panel

robepa

I'm new here, but I would like to say thank you for all the inspiration and cool setups I see on here. I am looking for feedback or help with a couple of ideas and short comings I'm running in to.

I've had my Scout for a couple years now, but this year we decided to get serious and make it "ours". We sold the SmittyBilt RTT and awning that came with it, because we dont RTT anymore (dogs), and we wanted a bigger awning.

Ventilation? Has anyone else installed air vents for the box? I have a fridge and Goal Zero that will be in the back, but I want to try and keep the temps at ambient levels.
What are people using to run wiring in/out of the main box? I have though about using marine seals, but I wondering if there is an easier way.

And finally, where are people getting replacement parts? I need to get a new jack and support for the rear. One of mine is missing.

Thanks in advance
-AnthonyView attachment 776859

2018 Scout (after the frame changes)
Partner Steel 18" grill
CFX3 75DZ
Goal Zero Boulder 100w mounted panel

I am working on adding a positive pressure ventilation connected to the trailer power currently, I tend to have to keep increasing the pressure on the doors to keep the dust out.

For spare parts I call Smittybilt, they have been good about this.

jojackc

I put some of these vents on the front tongue box because the battery's are in there and wanted to make sure they where getting ventilation: As far as running wire I keep it under the trailer to minimize water exposure. Every factory trailer, including boat trailers I have seen do this. So I just copied it.

agussio

I found 2 companies that make cable seals for marine applications. Seaview cable gland and Scanstrut. I’m going to install one on the top for the cable from my GZ Boulder 100. I like the design because you can leave the connector on the cable And they have a multiple wire option.
Seaview Cable Gland

UPS man was nice to me today. Got my Amazon basket for the top. Goal Zero stuff came. And my new Kodiak tent got here. I’m going to be busy with trailer and Jeep before head out for Memorial Day.

greyfox14304

I've been lurking on here for a while and I finally decided to post to help out with the forum. I managed to get the dirt worx tire carrier. He was about 4 weeks out from getting it to me which was fine. I will be sending it off to get powder coated next week. Here are some more detailed pictures of what you will get should you order this. I will tell you the quality is amazing, and they are doing some awesome stuff at dirt worx. I can't wait for the final product after it's powder coated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_210021701.jpg
    IMG_20230522_210021701.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230522_210026761.jpg
    IMG_20230522_210026761.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230522_210053485.jpg
    IMG_20230522_210053485.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230522_210120842.jpg
    IMG_20230522_210120842.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230522_210139255.jpg
    IMG_20230522_210139255.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 43

ttn333

Observer
Just picked up a used '22 model. Quick question. The tent rack wobbles a bit, is that normal? Does it stablelize once the tent is mounted? TIA

Attachments

• 20230526_184510.jpg
    20230526_184510.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Just picked up a used '22 model. Quick question. The tent rack wobbles a bit, is that normal? Does it stablelize once the tent is mounted? TIA

There’s a little slop from the tolerances in the square tubes but it’s nothing I’ve noticed in the tent when I’m sleeping. The whole thing shakes when your climbing up and getting settled. Only gets worse the higher you go so pick the minimum height you need or can stand and rock on.

el jefè in CA

I have a brake question… and I’m embarrassed to ask, but here goes! Regarding the brakes on the Scout, do you need a brake controller for them to work, or are they powered through the 7 pin connector to my 4Runner? Also, does the breakaway battery need to be functional for the brakes to work? Thanks for any info…. Jeff

ttn333

Observer
There’s a little slop from the tolerances in the square tubes but it’s nothing I’ve noticed in the tent when I’m sleeping. The whole thing shakes when your climbing up and getting settled. Only gets worse the higher you go so pick the minimum height you need or can stand and rock on.

Seems like a lot of slop, especially on the tallest rung. Does feel a bit better half way down. Thanks.

CRYA

What do you all use to plug in a 12v fridge? I’m testing out my wiring to my fridge in the rear slide compartment. I’m using a mounted Blue Sea car socket as that’s what my fridge uses. But it isn’t secure at all and will definitely lose contact even on a smooth highway.

They claim the socket has a lock feature but I can’t get the male end to lock in.

Looking for ideas on how you all make a secure connection. Cheers!

jojackc

I have a brake question… and I’m embarrassed to ask, but here goes! Regarding the brakes on the Scout, do you need a brake controller for them to work, or are they powered through the 7 pin connector to my 4Runner? Also, does the breakaway battery need to be functional for the brakes to work? Thanks for any info…. Jeff
You do have to have a break controller in the vehicle. Once you have one installed it will use the 7pin to send the command to the brakes on the trailer. The battery is only needed if the trailer becomes disconnected from the vehicle. It will use that battery to put the brakes on the trailer to stop it from traveling where ever its going once it leaves your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater