Solving the gas Crisis - 95 Discovery I

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Absolutely, I agree with you. I drove a 300 Tdi 110 with an R380 in Moab and it was a blast to just crawl up/down obstacles. This won't really be an off-road truck besides some light trail riding and the inherent risks of driving dirt roads in Vermont during spring.

spikemd

Explorer
Driving a 5 speed D1 vs an auto is like a totally different truck. Feels like so much more power.

Very cool conversion you are doing. Can't wait to see it completed. A guy out here in Ca just bought a D1 with Isuzu engine and is getting 28mpg in mixed driving. :drool:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Thanks, it is fun to be learning a lot of new stuff as I go. Last night I only had 30 minutes to play so I cleaned up the flywheel housing(which it turns out I'll have to remove anyways because the rear main had already been done). I was hoping to just knock out the rear main, but it appears someone had their way with RTV and the thing was GLUED on there. Got it off and cleaned the surface with a razor blade...carefully.

k01owJQ.jpg

psHh7Q8.jpg

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Rear main, flywheel housing cleaned, bolts wire brushed and sprayed, flywheel installed, clutch job nearly complete.
AFIDmoB.jpg

2ltQNTl.jpg

XQvECYt.jpg

Marcelo

Looks like that D1 was really loved by the previous owner. That is the nicest interior that I have ever seen.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Truly amazing that someone can keep a vehicle in this good of shape for nearly 20 years and 200,000 miles. There are plans to re-trim the interior when the build is completed :)

dcarr1971

Adventurer
Nice looking D1 Zack. I'm in the process of getting mine road-worthy again. It won't ever be nearly as nice as yours looks (it was previously owned by Ed T from the NELRC, so you it has had a few 'experiences' LOL), but I'm sure you won't regret the move the auto box to the R380. Just make sure to get an R380 that has good syncros...

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Thanks Dave, I am doing all I can to make this truck as perfect as possible... Nothing Ed has owned will ever drive straight again :)

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
While most people were out having a good time or relaxing this weekend, I was learning how to remove a drivetrain with a buddy. Lots of cuts pain and stains, but it's out.

s10E1Cw.jpg

wY9q49Z.jpg

jdAwhOA.jpg

eekL566.jpg

Xz4hJIj.jpg

Dpz11sr.jpg

AYmAOhQ.jpg

PxmrZ9u.jpg

A.J.M

Explorer
I would echo the comments, don't take it out in the salt.
D1s can rot like pears with salt and trapped mud under them.

That's a clean example, look after it. The 300tdi responds well to having the EGR valve removed, some nice silicone hoses, and maybe a tweak on the fuel pump to give a bit more power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven