Stolen Adventure Trailer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Curren

Explorer
Martyn,
Thanks for the info and I hope he does decide to stay and avail himself of the hospitality we have to offer. Perhaps we can attend an AT function and we can make him really welcome..

Bergger

Explorer
That is terrible and I'm sorry to hear about this Martyn. As a police officer here in Colorado I can tell you the laws do not favor the owner of rental property. You need to wait 30 days from the time the rental is due back and you need to send a certified letter to the crook prior to having it entered in the system as stolen! Browsing throught the posting above it appears that California has a similar law. This has to do with the fact that it is a breach of contract and can be construed as a civil matter in the first month. I don't agree at all with that. However I would still contact you local agency and try to report it stolen. A lot of officers do not not the 30 day law, so don't mention it, or do not care about that law and may report it anyway. I've done that myself in the past because it is sometimes the right thing to do. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for it here in CO. On a side note. If someone sees an identical trailer with CO plates and being pulled by a silver Tacoma it's only me!! ;)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x2

Report it stolen to your local law enforcement agency if possible. If not stolen, they may call it an 'embezzled vehicle' and still take the report and list it on national computers.

One challenge is that the VIN plate on the Chaser is simply a sticker, quite easy to remove, and it may be easier to not have a VIN or registration papers for a trailer than a tow vehicle should he be stopped and questioned by the law. He could claim it was home built, etc.

Bergger said:
That is terrible and I'm sorry to hear about this Martyn. As a police officer here in Colorado I can tell you the laws do not favor the owner of rental property. You need to wait 30 days from the time the rental is due back and you need to send a certified letter to the crook prior to having it entered in the system as stolen! Browsing throught the posting above it appears that California has a similar law. This has to do with the fact that it is a breach of contract and can be construed as a civil matter in the first month. I don't agree at all with that. However I would still contact you local agency and try to report it stolen. A lot of officers do not not the 30 day law, so don't mention it, or do not care about that law and may report it anyway. I've done that myself in the past because it is sometimes the right thing to do. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for it here in CO. On a side note. If someone sees an identical trailer with CO plates and being pulled by a silver Tacoma it's only me!! ;)

Last edited:

Bergger

Explorer
Redline said:
One challenge is that the VIN plate on the Chaser is simply a sticker, quite easy to remove, and it may be easier to not have a VIN or registration papers for a trailer than a tow vehicle should he be stopped and question by the law. He could claim it was home built, etc.

I agree and if you have the information, vin & plate, on his tow vehicle add that to the report. If not it may be something you guys should record in the future when renting trailers.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well it has been removed from JKforum by the owner. If you are not a paying vendor he does not allow you to post. :(

On a different note has anyone tried posting it on Adv. rider or some of the other Baja threads.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Far stretch from you...

Martyn,
I'm way out of the way, but if I see a black Jeep towing a cool Adventure Trailer I'll take a close look and get in touch.

I hope he gets spotted soon. :ar15:

Cheers :beer:,
P

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Martyn,

I passed the info along to some folks in the Flagstaff Police Department, and I'm hoping my father can get it to some other LEO agencies in the area.

G

Cabrito

I come in Peace
That is a super bummer.
I have been known to find things though so I will keep an eye for it in Lake County and San Francisco, ca -
Rental business is tough like this sometimes. I'm not sure what you require for security deposit but where I work at a very large Video/Audio equipment rental company with offices around the country and even Canada and Amsterdam we require full replacement cost up front on a credit card for the duration of the rental and actually hold the funds. If the deposit does not clear then you get no rental. Anything over 10k value needs a valid insurance certificate naming us as the loss payee for liability and property. I'm not sure how that would work in your case but I hope you are insured for this type of loss.

Crossing my fingers..

-mg

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
That sucks. We'll definitely keep Arizona under surveillance for you (c'mon all AZ people - help us keep an eye out!)

I posted it so far at:

Yotatech (stolen vehicles section)

4x4Wire (off-topic area is for registered users only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach