Surprised no one is discussing the Cybertruck today.

ThundahBeagle

Anybody could build a horizontal rack if they wanted, and even make it look nice. This is obviously not the image you were thinking of, but I don't see the CT losing any (more) style points with a sloping bed rail.

Rivian-Cybetruck-EPA.jpg
Yeah that's it

ThundahBeagle

Why should people have to customize a horizontal rack to fit? That's my point.

I mean, clearly this is not a practical truck in the first place. Beating the Porsche while towing a Porsche is great salesmanship but how much range did it have left after that.

I do like the stainless like the old Delorean, but a delorean was meant to be sporty.

Even a fully decked out Denali can do everything a truck should do

rruff

Explorer
I mean, clearly this is not a practical truck in the first place.
It's way more practical than a muscle car. :unsure:

A fully decked Denali isn't a "practical truck". It's a luxury lifestyle, poser, macho vehicle. It's better than a CT at some truck tasks, but it won't do 0-60 in 2.6s, or handle like a sports car (kinda), or get 97 mpge (I'm sure that's the base model).

A practical truck isn't that easy to find anymore. We have to get stripped down versions of lifestyle vehicles.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
These are my thoughts

I've got nothing against EVs in general (though I think the cyber truck is uber ugly), what I have a problem with is the government artificially forcing their adoption, and the banning of ICE vehicle production. EVs have strong points and weak points. I really don't think if left to fend for themselves that the technology is there yet to entice consumers to drop ICE vehicles in favor of EVs. But let consumer demand (or lack there of) drive the EV market, and let the chips fall where they may.

And don't get me stated on EVs and the environment :rolleyes:

ThundahBeagle

It's way more practical than a muscle car. :unsure:

A fully decked Denali isn't a "practical truck". It's a luxury lifestyle, poser, macho vehicle. It's better than a CT at some truck tasks, but it won't do 0-60 in 2.6s, or handle like a sports car (kinda), or get 97 mpge (I'm sure that's the base model).

A practical truck isn't that easy to find anymore. We have to get stripped down versions of lifestyle vehicles.
I'm not driving a muscle car. I dont need a truck to do the zero to 60 in under 3 seconds. And I dont need a truck to handle like a sports car. Fine if it does but that's not what a truck is ostensibly for.

And a Denali IS a truck first, with all of a truck's practicality. AND as much luxurious comfort as one can buy.

How is the cyber truck not a lifestyle poser-mobile? Everything for it, like bed cap, tent, rack, tool box, body panels, glass, would all have to be special made to order. Has anyone mounted a plow to one of these? Sander? With no other vehicle like it, it will be very expensive with long wait times for part and repairs. And as we are beginning to see, how much electricity is being used to charge these EV's, and how much they expend at a given task, will become just as important as gas fuel economy, just, for now, you will be consuming 80% fossil fuels to generate that electricity.

I'm not against electric vehicles. I dont care what powers my truck if it does the things I need it to do. Cybertruck is cool, for sure! But for me, too expensive for nowhere near enough return on practicality. 80 grand and everything else is special order. At least the top end Denali at 80 or 90 grand can fit a real need.

epyonxero

That sounds a bit extra. Tesla solar has only existed since 2016.

My issues were with design changes, they essentially have just three systems.
SolarCity was bought(bailed) out by Tesla in 2016 and officially became part of the Tesla brand but before that they were already known as Tesla's solar company. Elon was on the board and the company was founded by his cousins.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've got nothing against EVs in general (though I think the cyber truck is uber ugly), what I have a problem with is the government artificially forcing their adoption, and the banning of ICE vehicle production. EVs have strong points and weak points. I really don't think if left to fend for themselves that the technology is there yet to entice consumers to drop ICE vehicles in favor of EVs. But let consumer demand (or lack there of) drive the EV market, and let the chips fall where they may.

And don't get me stated on EVs and the environment :rolleyes:
The EPA isn’t banning ICE. I keep seeing this comment and it just is classic “I heard bob at the waffle shop talk about a Fox article 🤦‍♂️” The auto makers are trying to find the magical combination cost vs utility vs mileage etc. The EPA is setting expectations for emissions that will push at minimum a hybrid solution to address the worst use / ICE cycle for emissions short, low speed stop and go use etc. Many auto makers like that electric motors offer the ability for them to simplify the number of moving parts in a vehicle. So many extinct auto brands will probably resurface because they don’t need to buy surplus engines from big auto makers, transmissions etc.

They can just focus on platform design and go.

What will be the last of the ICE powered vehicles? Full sized SUVs, full sized trucks which make up the bulk of the long haul trip vehicles doing long trips. The rest of the vehicles today mid sized etc 99% of them rarely travel more than 30 miles a day (worst type of use for ICE vehicle anyway)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
SolarCity was bought(bailed) out by Tesla in 2016 and officially became part of the Tesla brand but before that they were already known as Tesla's solar company. Elon was on the board and the company was founded by his cousins.
The “official deal” was actually looked at as a tax scheme/ write off deal and money financing business that saved Tesla more $ than it made them or cost them.

Leased Solar system business model was all about the Finance business not the actual hardware. If you can get most Solar contracts to be a high profit finance loan you generate $$$.

No different than the used car business high interest loan rates on cheap ******** auction junk cars!! Tesla Solar is the same exact business model only less transparent and less understood/ nearly zero customers research it and those customers are typically low risk vs the sub prime used car lot buyers.

Tesla didn’t invent a new business model. They repurposed one with far less savy lower risk customers 😆😆

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I'm not driving a muscle car. I dont need a truck to do the zero to 60 in under 3 seconds. And I dont need a truck to handle like a sports car. Fine if it does but that's not what a truck is ostensibly for.
And a Denali IS a truck first, with all of a truck's practicality. AND as much luxurious comfort as one can buy.
And all the truck's impracticality.

The main thing you use yours for is a long daily commute. It's a hideous tool for that job, and about as impractical as it could get. This has become normalized in our society, sure... drive the biggest thing you can afford, and use it for everything... but the rationalizations are lame.

I'd much rather have the Cybertruck's performance, than the Denali's luxury. Of course the Cybertruck is poser vehicle. So are the great majority of pickups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach