Survival Sack: When things go bad...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
robert said:
I personally like my Brunton Helios lighter

Have you had good luck with that? Several years ago in CO I played around with a several different 'stormproof' lighters. With each one I had to futz around with it everytime I changed altitudes, and none of them worked at all above about 8K'.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
SEREvince said:
I would add a wool or poly pro watch cap to everyone’s list.

Very good point. I, personally, like the multi-function ones that can funtion as a hat/hood/balaklava/neck warmer.

robert

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
Have you had good luck with that? Several years ago in CO I played around with a several different 'stormproof' lighters. With each one I had to futz around with it everytime I changed altitudes, and none of them worked at all above about 8K'.

I can't say as I've used it at altitude. I've only used it on the east coast and mainly keep it with my kayaking/canoing stuff. I've heard of folks having issues with butane stoves so I can see where there could be a problem.

Zippo has out a new butane lighter that is getting good reviews but I haven't seen one yet. I don't like regular Zippos as you always have to worry about them going dry.

BMAN

Adventurer
This thread is a great read. Can't believe I missed it for so long.

One of my favorite "Lurking" sites is the Hoodlum forums at www.survival.com

There's SOOOOO much good info over there that I'll spend hours at a time just sitting and reading. I've gleaned many a good idea from there and they've got an entire board devoted to Bug Out Bags and their contents.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I'd add cash to any list, it can't buy love, but you don't need love when you stuck, broke or hurt.:) I always try to carry a couple hundred bucks when I wander far from home. I use plastic when ever I can and keep the cash in reserve.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
BigAl said:
I'd add cash to any list, it can't buy love, but you don't need love when you stuck, broke or hurt.:) I always try to carry a couple hundred bucks when I wander far from home. I use plastic when ever I can and keep the cash in reserve.

Id add that you keep it in SMALL bills. You dont want to depend on people for change or show them $100 bills(sometimes a safety issue).

TeriAnn

Explorer
It has been an interesting thread & I've learned at lot, esp. about the so called thermal blankets. All good stuff to know. Thanks everyone.

I try not to travel into dangerous places and have an active phobia of heights so tend to stay away from places where my Land Rover is remotely likely to roll. But things break and you can get good and stuck.

My strategy is to stay with my Land Rover Dormobile if at all possible and signal for help. It is a fairly complete 4X4 RV with built in 15 gallon water tank and 5 gallon propane tank. On trips I keep a full 3 gallon water container on the roof rack along with a spare propane tank in case I run out of either on the trail. I also have a signal kit with assorted flares, radio and a battery powered strobe with spare batteries to run at night. On the trail I almost always have 3 meals worth of food for at least 3 days and much more if I've recently filled the fridge & larder.

Space is always a premium in a Land Rover so I choose to have one set of gear that I use daily when camping instead of having that plus packing a second set for bug out . I feel I'll almost always be best off staying with my Land Rover. Even on a day trip it has food, water and heat.

That said I do have an red orange day pack that I keep up front for day walks out of sight from the Land Rover that has emergency stuff, for just in case. I've tried to keep it light weight since a pack left behind is totally useless.

In the rear pouch I have two one quart plastic drinking bottles. In the main compartment I have:

* Orange plastic distress signal flag
* Portable battery powered strobe
* signal mirror
* whistle
* Orange polyethylene emergency tube shelter
* spool of twine
* knife
* 2 canned heat fuel sources (good for 4 hours each)
* tube of fire paste for starting fires
* water proof container containing water proof matches
* Water proof container that carries:
o pair of heavy wool socks
o Yellow rip stop nylon hooded wind breaker
o Yellow rip stop nylon pants
o Bright orange vest (I want to be seen if I need help)
* Waterproof container with a first aid kit containing:
o Roll of 1 inch stretch gauze bandage
o Telfa pads
o Roll of 1 inch tape
o Scissors
o Tweezers
o Cold pack
o Bottle of Advil
o Bottle of water purification tablets
o Antiseptic swabs
o Antiseptic cream
o Knuckle bandages
o Band-Aids
o butane lighter

I wanted enough to fall in the water or get caught in a rain then safely survive overnight and to be easily found if I got lost. It is not a serious bug out bag but it is about as bulky as I'm willing to carry in a day walk from the vehicle and the water makes it as heavy as I want to carry. A pack left behind because it is too heavy, bulky or awkward is totally useless.

The other thing I like to do is leave a note on the drivers seat telling where I intend to go, when I intend to return and that I am carrying a whistle, orange objects and a strobe for after dark signaling.

Thoughts? flaws in my thinking?, something obviously missing? (I have a wrist mounted compass)

dieck

Adventurer
Lynn said:

I second that. High tech lighters have always failed me at altitude. Bic or matches work best.

dieck

Adventurer
I've been pretty big into preparedness and all the corresponding bug out bag stuff.

Here is my practical experience for what it's worth.

1. It is fun to research all the gadgets and toys, but most are impractical to lug around.
2. If its not on your body or within 5 feet at ALL times you probably won't have it when you need it.
3. Bug out bags generally don't work if they are not regularly used. Batteries die, light bulbs break, etc.

I've revised my solution several times and here is what I do today.

1. Have a point and shoot 4x4 as a daily driver. This will pretty much be in the parking lot of wherever I am and can get me into and out of most anywhere. Keep the gas tank more than half full.
1a. Keep necessary tools an spares for repair in the truck (ie belt, headlights, fuses, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc) This can be done pretty weight effectively if you find a good compact tool kit and bring only what you need.
1b. Keep survival gear in the truck up to date, check each month. For me this includes but is not limited to a hennesey hammock, freeze dried food, kelly kettle, compact sleeping bag, knife, lighter, matches, complete first aid kit, firearm, and ammo. This all fits in a hardware store plastic tote in the back of my jeep with the exception of the firearm.
2. in my work backpack (swiss gear) keep meds, light first aid, knife, headlamp, gps, fire starters, water purification, and mini dopp kit, spare batteries. This is VERY compact. This is with me at work and just about everywhere I go. It is low key and untactical looking so it doesn't draw unecessary attention.
3. I keep cash, but I won't tell you where. In america, this is THE BEST survival tool.

I try to use and replentish both kits regularly to keep them top of mind, and familiar. I use them both regularly including shooting and lubing the guns.

robert

Expedition Leader
Here is an example of a well equipped pack. It's extremely expensive so I'd just use the list as a guide. http://dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_contents.htm

If you're interested in the subject of survival then Equipped to Survive is a good website. It is heavy on the aviation side but has lots of good info. This isn't a mutant zombies attacking got to get out of Raccoon City type of site but rather real world experience and talk about things like having to ditch your aircraft, getting stuck offroad, etc.
http://www.equipped.com/

As an aside, I'll have to try the Brunton next time I go up to Mt Mitchell (highest point on this coast). If it doesn't work well there it's not that big of a deal as most of my camping and boating is pretty near sea level.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Colorado Ron said:
Id add that you keep it in SMALL bills. You dont want to depend on people for change or show them $100 bills(sometimes a safety issue).
I would add that it is best to keep $20 in bills in one pocket, and the rest stashed in small lots in different pockets on your person and in your pack. Flashing a roll of twenties isn't always a good idea.

I always try to have some coin change for vending machines and/or phones.

robert

Expedition Leader
A roll of quarters can be real "handy" in an emergency :littlefriend:

(We need a winking smiley too)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy