Tacoma Teryx Build by Sierrahsky

sierrahsky

Adventurer
About Us: In 2009 I decided to make some major changes in my life. I have always been athletic and have spent the last 15 years either compeeting in sports professionally, backpacking, rockclimbing, mixed martial arts, and doing as much as I could outdoors. A horrible back injury sidelined me so I decided to focus more of my time doing the fun stuff. I come from a light weight backpacking background and try to apply those principals to my expedition build. I am obsessed with form and function and constantly evaluate my gear, my self, and work harder to make them function at the best they can.

Goals & Purpose: After rehab on my back I decided that I would focus more time on being outdoors, but with backpacking something I could no longer do I turned my attention to vehicle expeditions. This would allow me to use the vehicle to carry gear needed and I would not loose my ability to travel to the deepest parts of nowhere. I chose to get a tacoma because of 3 main reasons. I wanted something small and light enough to get me in hard to reach area's of the sierra's. I needed a vehicle that could carry my huskies on a daily basis and do so in safely in places most people would not dare go in winter. I wanted something reliable and that had a huge resource of people doing something similar.

Daily Driver DutiesWe have 2 Siberian Huskies that we run daily and take with us everywhere. We needed a vehicle that could carry them, our safety kit, and get us in and out of the most gnarly terrain safely! We spend 5+ days a week in the snowy back country of the Sierra Mountain Range and in the summer spend just as much time traveling, hiking, camping, and so on.

* Please read the end of this post as I would like to thank those who have helped me or have paved the way for my choices

The Truck
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Trim Access Cab 4x4
Transmission 6 Speed Manual

Wheels & Tires XD Series 17" 0mm Offset with 285's Duratrac Tires

Suspension
1. 886 OME Coils
2. 1/4" Top Plate Spacer * April 11 - no longer running until lean is sorted
3. Bilstein 5100's Front & Rear
4. Light Racing Upper Control Arms
5. OME Dakar HD Leaf Springs
6. OME Dakar AAL April 11 - not installing until bumper is done

Exterior Modifications & Accessories
1. Shorty Antena
2. Partially Removed Emblems
3. Color Matched Grille, Grill Craft MX, Modified Toyota Logo
4. Bed Mat + Bed Mat Mod
5. Diff Breather Mod
6. ARB On board Air Compressor
7. Safari Snorkel *slick guppie hose connections
8. Bestop Supertop
8. Bestop Additional Clamps
9. Steel Braided Extended Rear Break Lines
10. Superwinch + Relocate Kit

Trail Armor
1. Relentless Hybrid Sliders (freaking awesome)
2. Bud Built Mixed sized Skids
3. COMING SOON ***
4. COMING SOON ***

Interior Modifications
1. Ipod Adapter (isimple)
2. Custom Switches
3. Mag light Mod
4. GPS Mod - Re done with Ram Mount
5. Removed Aux Input and relocated to dual aux input's
6. Weather-tech Digital Liners
7. 12 Fuse Block
8. ATO Hi-Lift Mount
9. Custom Rear Cab bench
10. Removed rear interior & subwoofer

Accessories
1. Ipod 60gig
2. Garmin GPSMAP 62ST
3. LED Mini Mag Lite
4. Window Breaker
5. Black Cat Heater * Removed until winter
6. Action Stacker (48Gal + 3x24GAL) Sealed (Foam)
7. Hi-Lift EXTREME (48")
8. ARB Fridge Freezer
9. Additional powersource for fridge + others
10. Inverter

Coming Soon
(Custom Switch Panel * In build process)
Trail Armor * Build in process (Final order Nov 2011)
IBS Dual Battery System * (Nov 2011 unless needed)
Seat Covers ( Feb 2012 )
Subwoofer + Deck + amp ( Not until 2012)

Pictures

As she sits currently

Relentless Installing the Sliders

This is a typical dog run day. Dealing with snow is just our favorite part!

We just installed an ARB Fridge / Freezer.

Props In the building of this truck I have done countless hours and hours of research. This has been a labor of love and I have tried to make everything work as best to my ability to match my goals. There are a few people who were there before me that did a great job of detailing what they did and helping us out along the way. There have also been a few members from all over the internet that have helped me in one way or another. I would just like to take the time to thank them as they have made the learning curve much faster for us all and we really appreciate it.

Tacodoc
barlowrs
relentlessfabrication.com
sierraexpeditions & flyingwil
wheelersoffroad.com
maxamillion (tw)

Last edited:

sierrahsky

Adventurer
Places Visited Updated 3-18-11

Nevada
All though we live here we travel around nevada quite a bit. I have chosen not to include every place but pretty much just include the entire state!

Oregon
Grands Pass
Medford
Ashland
Klamath Falls
Merill
Redwood
CaveJunction
Brookings
Gold Beach
Coos Bay

California
Yosemite NP
Eldorado Forest
Rubicon
San Francisco
Sacramento
Stockton
Monterey Bay
Redwood National Forest
Crescent City
Mt. Shasta

Utah
Just outside Delta
Moab
Canyonlands NP
Arches NP
Lake Powell
Glen Canyon NP
Poison Springs

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
IMG_5867.jpg

sierrahsky

Adventurer
So the fridge install is taking forever but I will have pictures and info up hopefully soon. We started makin the frame and have run in to TONS problems. I have scrapped my original idea and have gone for something simple and cost effective.

To avoid the $$$ issues with moving the stock sub we are going to just buy a new enclosure and subwoofer.

Also while in the process of doing the wiring I decided to re-do the fuse block mount.

View attachment 53521

sierrahsky

Adventurer
aefdfb2e-1177-7f28.jpg

Terry grinding out the new mount for the fuse block. Used 16 gauge sheet metal, next up is cleaning, primer, and a coat of flat black.

sierrahsky

Adventurer
aefdfb2e-1296-47b9.jpg

I used 3/4 square .120 wall steel for the "ribs" of the frame. We discovered that the would held just fine but added bulk that we didn't want. So the front section was removed and we used the steel in it's place.

One benefit we had right away was the ability to remove the mount easily and to utilize some of the space underneath for a few small items. More pics soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl