TDeSanto's Montero Mod Thread

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Do you have a drain plug in the tank for draining water? And can you get to it easily?

I want to fit a similar system but haven't quite figured out a way to drain the tank easily when the truck is loaded.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Spikepretorius said:
Hey the Mitsu is looking good!
Looks like I've got some catching up to do on my Mitsu
Thanks for the motivation.

Thanks for the compliment.

Spikepretorius said:
Do you have a drain plug in the tank for draining water? And can you get to it easily?

I want to fit a similar system but haven't quite figured out a way to drain the tank easily when the truck is loaded.

Nope. I didn't think of it. I can pull the whole thing (not too easily) and drain the tank when necessary.

Maybe I should install an air filter between compressor and tank? You can see in one of the pics that I did buy a little one for running air tools; however, this doesn't do me much good for the tank if it's installed after the tank.

Last edited:

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I reckon the tank definitely needs a drain plug.
My regular compressor in my garage get's plenty water in it and I drain it daily.
My small compressor in the truck also seems to pump significant water.
I won't fit my system till I've figured out a way to drain it conveniently.

I was also considering fitting a tank under my truck but didn't want the hassle of crawling underneath to do the draining chore.

Is there anyone else here with a bright idea?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
So are you still considering swapping to a Disco? Seems like you are at the point where you can just enjoy it now!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Spikepretorius said:
I reckon the tank definitely needs a drain plug.
My regular compressor in my garage get's plenty water in it and I drain it daily.
My small compressor in the truck also seems to pump significant water.
I won't fit my system till I've figured out a way to drain it conveniently.

I was also considering fitting a tank under my truck but didn't want the hassle of crawling underneath to do the draining chore.

Is there anyone else here with a bright idea?

Well, the tank does have several threaded openings. I could've run a 90* elbow at the bottom and pulled the air from there. That would have pulled the water out with the air. Then, maybe using an air filter after the tank to keep the water out of air tools and tires. Or, I still like the idea of the air filter between tank and compressor. The filter has a threaded bowl that you can remove to dump the water out that it collects.

Also, consider calling or emailing (given the time difference) Extreme Outback. They know their products and I'm sure George can help you find a solution to meet your needs.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
Tony,
Very cool updates. Your mod list must be getting pretty short by now!
Cheers,
P

You're absolutely right about that. Short, but expensive list.
  1. Laptop mount in the cabin for navigation
  2. Airbags for the rear springs
  3. 4.9 gears in both diffs
  4. Lockers in both diffs if rumors are accurate about ARB coming out with a locker for the rear this summer
  5. Snorkel
  6. Custom rear bumper (I may evenutally build it or have it built)

preacherman

Explorer
t- looks good, I like the new changes (air compressor and such) how was your mpg when you went to New Mexico, any better?

Willman

Tony,

Great setup on the Extremeaire compressor!!!!!

The fan idea is a great one!.....I would have used one..but..i used some steel mesh instead to keep the air flowing.

Oh..and keep your sweet rig.......You are all setup!.....The coolest Montero out there!

:26_7_2:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
preacherman said:
t- looks good, I like the new changes (air compressor and such) how was your mpg when you went to New Mexico, any better?

About the same. I think I'm settled on the fact that I need to keep it in 4th most of the time and 3rd when climbing hillls. MPG sucks, but hey, I'm pulling a trailer. Around 10-11 MPG.

If ARB comes out with the locker for the rear or I get impatient and look to fit an OEM locking diff in the rear, then I'll regear to the 4.9's.

It's funny though, when I head east and don't have the serious headwinds that west Texas has or the steep climbs, my mileage is much better. I was in east TX 2 weekends ago and my MPG was around 15. Mostly flat terrain without the headwinds.

Willman

MPG's

Here's an old idea....

Take off the rack and put all the stuff in the trailer...;)

Wonder what the difference would be?? 1-2mpg???

Worth a shot....

:friday:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Willman said:
Tony,

Great setup on the Extremeaire compressor!!!!!

The fan idea is a great one!.....I would have used one..but..i used some steel mesh instead to keep the air flowing.

Oh..and keep your sweet rig.......You are all setup!.....The coolest Montero out there!

:26_7_2:

Thanks, Nic, for the compliments. The compressor is sweet and I'm enjoying it alot. I think if I can sort out some of the suspensions quirks and regear with lockers, I'm set.

I've only been toying around with the idea of getting a 2004 disco. Starting the research and doing my homework. But everyone I talk to, including the area's top LR mechanic (Alan at North Texas Rovers), tells me that I need to find one with low mileage and to purchase the $4K extended warranty (takes you to 100K), because without the extended warranty I'm guaranteed to spend more than $4K on repairs. With my Mitsubishi, I wouldn't even think about spending $4K on a warranty. The reliability is so good that even spending 1/2 of that on repairs under 100K miles is unheard of. But, after spending a whole weekend watching these rigs run some very tough trails (same trails I was on BTW), I love the way their suspensions work. I really dig the extra departure angle, aftermarket support, and suspension articulation that the disco's have. They really are sweet machines; just too bad that LR hasn't graduated to the more reliable designs. The lure is still there though.

Cheers,

TD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach