Texas to Alaska to Texas. 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid driving on the Dalton Highway and the Dempster Highway. July/August 2023.

Wow ! That drone can really fly quite high!
The drone has always had a maximum height of 0.3 of a mile. But before I left for this trip, there was an update from the manufacturer that I did and now the drone can go as high as 0.6 mile. Basically, it used to disappear in the sky with 0.3 of a mile. Now at 0.6 of a mile, I do not even want to try it. I often take my very high shots at aboit 0.2 of a mile high.

Last edited:
Great pictures! They're definitely making me want to get a trip on the books. I really have a hard time understanding the mentality of those who can easily camp in bear country, especially after an encounter. Nothing against it! Either you're brave, smart, savy, or misjudging a couple of things. lol Whatever it is, I'm too scared.
Thanks for the compliment about the pictures.

I have also seen that people are very comfortable here and will camp anywhere. Any pull out on the Alaska Highhway seems like a good place to camp.

Two days ago, I checked into my hotel at 4 pm. I got bored because there was nothing to do and the room could not get dark enough for me to go to sleep and so I decided to leave at 11pm to drive for 12 hours throughout the night to my next destination. It was quite an adventure.

The night drive on the Alaskan Highway was very beautiful. I am so glad I made that decision to travel some parts of it at night. I saw maybe only 3 other vehicles. The road from Haines Junction to the Alaska/Canada Border is rough! Be careful on this section of the road. Also, I saw tons and tons of people pulled over on almost all pull outs and camping or spending the night by lakes. It was so beautiful. I made a lot of random stops because J was sleepy myself and also to use the restroom and stretch my legs. It was a very tiring but beautiful night drive. It was not even very dark, but it was a very enjoyable experience.

As soon as I started the drive, I saw 2 bears. When it got after midnight, places got slightly darker, and I saw a moose. I took a picture. I saw tons of other animals like an owl, a red fox, a bobcat, and many rodents.

I finally got to the US/Canada Border at 3:15am. Crossing was very easy. I stopped to take pictures at the Welcome to Alaska sign, and mosquitoes tried to eat me alive. I hurried and was out of there pretty fast because the mosquitoes were biting me nonstop. It was a nightmare!

I was now in Alaska! I finally made it to Alaska! I drove to Delta Juntion to officially complete my long drive of driving the whole 1,422 miles of the Alaskan Highway. What a great bucket list achievement!

I looked for something to eat and was extremely tired. But it was time to hit the road again to head to Valdez, AK. I did that, but it was not an easy drive. But I am glad that I made it to Valdez safe and sound.
XsRmkKH.jpg

FKszBar.jpg

2 random stops in the middle of nowhere to listen to complete silence and take in peace and solitude. Also, to stretch my legs and not be too sleepy behind the wheel.
jFdQWqZ.jpg

8mtZZQc.jpg

Quick stop at the border before crossing.
LBlZt7T.jpg

Welcome to Alaska sign @3:15am. I was tired!
P1rUvZb.jpg

qqO1MkE.jpg

My Honda Accord did it! It drove the whole 1,422 miles of the Alaska Highway! It drove from Texas to Alaska!
90WbczF.jpg

pYXD3Pg.jpg

XfmYMQT.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Valdez, Alaska!
Very beautiful town.
XPwyaNe.jpg

2UGYGNY.jpg

Thompson Pass
tIRTxis.jpg

225fmnb.jpg

r09xMTD.jpg

PKjNN66.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls along Thompson Pass
p1Q10EQ.jpg

EkWxiOx.jpg

Horsetail Falls
M7bcL0Z.jpg

Fish Hatchery in Valdez. 4 sea lions in there eating a buffet of salmon.
5hHlBi3.jpg

nWwyWOG.jpg

A random stop by the oil pipeline
W0BpdGk.jpg

For those still on the fence whether they should get up and travel or not. Please, I encourage you to do so if you can squeeze the time. Make it work for you financially. You can travel expensively or you can travel cheaply. I have met people traveling on foot. I have met some on bicycles. I have met some with cheap old beat-up cars. I have met some with fully luxurious 4x4s. I have met some with very expensive RVs. No matter what you have, you can travel near or far and enjoy yourself. But I have to share this pic I took yesterday. Remember this also and so get out and travel as early as you can. Do not postpone it, or it may be too late.
OSLafmi.jpg

Last edited:
It's not mine, and I am not affiliated to the seller, but I saw it on the street here in Valdez, AK and thought it looked cool with the background. So, I took pictures. It is priced at $32,000. That seems kind of high, but I do not know what classics like this fetch these days.
MpXhgua.jpg

R3M6rUe.jpg

lRxbtwL.jpg

DWnL8hp.jpg

haoLKK3.jpg

3wdH2f6.jpg

pywOA55.jpg

Nmk20HE.jpg

More pictures I took in Valdez today.
Valdez visitor center
fQCAKPy.jpg

Mama bear with cub running infront of me
FIRs6uT.jpg

Tons of people camping downtown Valdez. Lol, drones are blocked from flying here because the planes fly so low. My drone can not even start when I am in this area.
AIXWA3g.jpg

I went looking for smoked can salmon all around. No luck. I will look in other towns. By the time I was done today, they had known me as the guy looking for the smoked can salmon since I went to almost all the stores anybody mentioned that might have it.
KSriEZk.jpg

On my last night in Valdez, I was driving by a gun range and saw a bunch of teenagers shooting. I stopped by and stood there to watch. I doubt any of them was more than 21.

The kid among them who basically brought all the guns there asked me if I wanted to shoot. I said sure. So, he let me shoot all the guns they had there. They had so much ammunition to waste. I could not believe it.
YNrteFs.jpg

1eAtGiq.jpg

r43A35E.jpg

zZtKtn1.jpg

m36IgSq.jpg

v13OPlY.jpg

On a stretch of road going to Chitina, AK, there is a stretch of road called the 6 Miles Straight Road. I stopped there to take some pictures.
vwXueRK.jpg

DqjrcbS.jpg

I continued to go to Chitina and stopped at a small waterfall there. But I passed by their cute little Post Office before getting to the waterfall.
C6Sw3N9.jpg

i0CcPF9.jpg

dqDtjup.jpg

After Chitina, you go through the pass to start your trip to McCarthy on bad roads. There is even a warning there about how bad the road to McCarthy is.
SrT0qSB.jpg

DgIWiLo.jpg

KyfGqPi.jpg

bXJSIgj.jpg

I could not go all the way to McCarthy because of time and so I went as far as the popular Kuskulana bridge.
d41h08X.jpg

nIc0m7p.jpg

xVQMcO5.jpg

cN1UIqs.jpg

ITTOG

On a stretch of road going to Chitina, AK, there is a stretch of road called the 6 Miles Straight Road. I stopped there to take some pictures.
vwXueRK.jpg

DqjrcbS.jpg

I continued to go to Chitina and stopped at a small waterfall there. But I passed by their cute little Post Office before getting to the waterfall.
C6Sw3N9.jpg

i0CcPF9.jpg

dqDtjup.jpg

After Chitina, you go through the pass to start your trip to McCarthy on bad roads. There is even a warning there about how bad the road to McCarthy is.
SrT0qSB.jpg

DgIWiLo.jpg

KyfGqPi.jpg

bXJSIgj.jpg

I could not go all the way to McCarthy because of time and so I went as far as the popular Kuskulana bridge.
d41h08X.jpg

nIc0m7p.jpg

xVQMcO5.jpg

cN1UIqs.jpg
Beautiful pictures, except for the river. That is some nasty water.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Alaska prices, are a lot like Island prices at times.

I worked a lot of villages where trucks and cars had to be flown, or barged in. As the only roads were the one inside the little community. With none leaving. And very limited access in the summer.

Seward Hughway just before exit to Whittier, AK
Ri53pf7.jpg

tseD68K.jpg

jMqHgI5.jpg

OqURpES.jpg

Approaching the tunnel to go to Whittier. I was extremely lucky that each time I got to the tunnel, I had to wait just 10 more minutes, and it was time for us to go through the tunnel.
yqqcmW7.jpg

317LZcG.jpg

In the tunnel
oUSgs41.jpg

After exiting the tunnel. I stopped to take some pictures
91r5HhP.jpg

After visiting Whittier, return trip to go through the tunnel again
mo9hIfZ.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member