The full sized mid-size, my 2014 F150 "Fiddy"

Grassland

Things are going to get worse before they get better judging by how the copper/aluminium/steel/microchip industries are faring.
This is absolute insanity for a 301A Supercab with 2.7 PP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210827-184105.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-184105.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 56

ricoisme26

Things are going to get worse before they get better judging by how the copper/aluminium/steel/microchip industries are faring.
This is absolute insanity for a 301A Supercab with 2.7 PP

Drove my brother in laws 2021 powerboost today and the total 1 mile trip I did blew me away in just comfort and ease to drive. Didn’t really get to notice the drivetrain on such a short trip but the seats and suspension are head and shoulders over my 2012 xlt. I believe the new generation shares the same seats with the previous? I recall them being much more comfortable than mine as well. It may have been a test drive my wallet regrets, but not likely in the current market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grassland

The usual softroading camping trip for hunting this weekend.
But the temps were anything but! We left the surveyor tent at home along with the stove because it was daytime highs of ... 27 friggen degrees Celsius!?!?!? In October? I'm Ron Burgundy?
#globalwarming.
In any case, got to try out my new wool blanket and turns out I'm a sissy ********** who can't handle a brisk evening well above freezing.
Hunted some grouse/spruce hens, devalued the truck a bunch with tree branches removing paint.
Only to look at my buddies second gen Escape AWD that got there slightly slower than me.
Clear evenings with no aurora or asteroids we noticed, and the bugs clocked out by sunset.

Attachments

• 244451267_10166050600545497_1484777869756380390_n.jpg
    244451267_10166050600545497_1484777869756380390_n.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20211002_084346.jpg
    IMG_20211002_084346.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41

Grassland

With Covid inflation, the hilarious lack of value from the Canadian dollar, multiplied by how extra useless living in central Canada is, realistically I'll not be able to afford a new gas F150 for at least 3-4 years.

Instead, I've focused on a 3-4 year plan for adventures, as currently "affordable" at $1.65-1.85 a liter for gas (currently 1.42 for 87 octane and $1.62 for premium in Loserpeg Manitoba, it's worse east and west of here, and the 3.7 needs the 91 for the minor HP bump.)
I'll still be far behind in affording an electric pickup (or for work an electric Transit 250) at the 15-20k premium with NO federal discounts these vehicles qualify for. But by then, I feel the nails will be in the coffin for gas poeoeri vehicles, and we will be taxed exorbitantly for them regardless.

For the short term, basic maintenance is still on the list, we have spark plugs left for near term, as Transfer case, front and rear differential fluid, transmission fluid, and coolant changes have taken place along with brake rotors and pads.
The truck is under 120k KM still thanks to me working a stupid amount.

Barring more Covid restrictions and lock downs, we intend to drive from Loserpeg through Ontario and Quebec, and up to Labrador in late August or early September next year.
This will be while towing our 2021 Escape Trailers 19 fiberglass trailer, which will be our home on the road.
From Labrador we will ferry into Newfoundland, spend some time there, before ferrying into Nova Scotia for a week or so where we will visit friends near Digby (scallops are not good for your health but I'll eat them anyway!), and then heading back to Manitoba. We have budgeted 6 weeks for this trip and untold thousands of dollars just in overpriced fuel, nevermind overpriced Telecom

In the meantime, in trying to budget for the Fiddy..
So far I am somehow on stock ball joints, uppers, tie rods, CVs etc.
Everything has seemed tight, what tests or checks should I do or what else should I be looking at?

ricoisme26

With Covid inflation, the hilarious lack of value from the Canadian dollar, multiplied by how extra useless living in central Canada is, realistically I'll not be able to afford a new gas F150 for at least 3-4 years.

Instead, I've focused on a 3-4 year plan for adventures, as currently "affordable" at $1.65-1.85 a liter for gas (currently 1.42 for 87 octane and $1.62 for premium in Loserpeg Manitoba, it's worse east and west of here, and the 3.7 needs the 91 for the minor HP bump.)
I'll still be far behind in affording an electric pickup (or for work an electric Transit 250) at the 15-20k premium with NO federal discounts these vehicles qualify for. But by then, I feel the nails will be in the coffin for gas poeoeri vehicles, and we will be taxed exorbitantly for them regardless.

For the short term, basic maintenance is still on the list, we have spark plugs left for near term, as Transfer case, front and rear differential fluid, transmission fluid, and coolant changes have taken place along with brake rotors and pads.
The truck is under 120k KM still thanks to me working a stupid amount.

Barring more Covid restrictions and lock downs, we intend to drive from Loserpeg through Ontario and Quebec, and up to Labrador in late August or early September next year.
This will be while towing our 2021 Escape Trailers 19 fiberglass trailer, which will be our home on the road.
From Labrador we will ferry into Newfoundland, spend some time there, before ferrying into Nova Scotia for a week or so where we will visit friends near Digby (scallops are not good for your health but I'll eat them anyway!), and then heading back to Manitoba. We have budgeted 6 weeks for this trip and untold thousands of dollars just in overpriced fuel, nevermind overpriced Telecom

In the meantime, in trying to budget for the Fiddy..
So far I am somehow on stock ball joints, uppers, tie rods, CVs etc.
Everything has seemed tight, what tests or checks should I do or what else should I be looking at?

Ever take a look at your 4x4 hub actuators? common issue on these trucks. Not sure if you plan to use 4x4 but would hate to need it and not have it, could ruin a perfectly good vacation in a hurry.

Grassland

Ever take a look at your 4x4 hub actuators? common issue on these trucks. Not sure if you plan to use 4x4 but would hate to need it and not have it, could ruin a perfectly good vacation in a hurry.
Good call, I haven't looked at them or the vacuum lines.

Grassland

Ok so, focusing on vacuum hubs/system, spark plugs, and front end.
If no surprises in going to spoil myself and replace my chrome grille.
I know it's not functional, but it would be nice to have a feel good item.
Most of the stuff I've seen out there either involves cutting or is meant for a Bro-Dozer, or both. Not tons of OEM-ish grilles. My other plan as it's same price point is the textured black OEM two bar grille.

Attachments

• T542484.jpeg
    T542484.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20211024-110940.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-110940.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 27
On the vacuum lines, ours(2011) got brittle and cracked. I just pulled the hose off the vacuum port(aft driver's side under the hood) and leave the hubs connected. Didn't notice a mpg difference. So if you start getting problems with the actuators on the road or trail. Just pull the hose off and leave them engaged.

I'll be getting a new hose line assembly next year before our big trip in the summer just because I don't like 'broken' stuff

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ricoisme26

On the vacuum lines, ours(2011) got brittle and cracked. I just pulled the hose off the vacuum port(aft driver's side under the hood) and leave the hubs connected. Didn't notice a mpg difference. So if you start getting problems with the actuators on the road or trail. Just pull the hose off and leave them engaged.

I'll be getting a new hose line assembly next year before our big trip in the summer just because I don't like 'broken' stuff

I had one side go bad which led to partial engagement on the opposite side due to the vaccum leak. This made a grinding noise and I replaced the hub that was grinding. By this time the vaccum leak on the hub i didn't replace was bad enough that it was effectivly doing what you mentioned removing all vaccum and with my new hub installed this made a gear whine at the front differential from the axles driving the dif and the front driveshaft. I quickly replaced the other hub to correct the vaccum leak and stop this drivetrain whine. I would be hesitant to just remove the vaccum line because of this but that's just my experience.

In a pinch where i needed 4x4 and i had a known vaccum issue with no hub engagement issues I would agree to remove vaccum line to maintain 4x4 capability

Grassland

Somebody makes an IWE delete kit and if I recall it leaves the hubs engaged permanently. With oversized tires I imagine I'll notice the fuel economy drop.

I've seen the kits, but I'll just replace the lines instead. I haven't experienced any whine or mpg and it's been since last year so 20k miles since. We have 34s ko2s on now and get 15 city and 16 hwy. When I replace the line I would love and increase in mpg but I didn't see a decrease. You can get OEM line for I think $80 and there's a aftermarket for $130 and is supposed to be made with better hose material. Those were the only two I found in my search.

Grassland

Well, just about to fly back to Loserpeg from Halifax. Going to take the Fiddy out and meet up with buddies camping and get a few more chicken hunts in this weekend.

Had a RAV4 LE AWD as a rental for the week we were in NS. 7l/100 average but mostly highway.
I miss the fiddy, but not it's fuel economy.
Rural NS is such a nice place, and we had amazing weather for our hike on Tuesday, 14° C and sunny. We walked the Brier Island coast and watched seals and various sea birds. Also did I believe the Acacia trail which was super nice and peaceful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-100030.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-100030.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211112-100016.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-100016.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211112-095924.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-095924.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 16

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Well, just about to fly back to Loserpeg from Halifax. Going to take the Fiddy out and meet up with buddies camping and get a few more chicken hunts in this weekend.

Had a RAV4 LE AWD as a rental for the week we were in NS. 7l/100 average but mostly highway.
I miss the fiddy, but not it's fuel economy.
Rural NS is such a nice place, and we had amazing weather for our hike on Tuesday, 14° C and sunny. We walked the Brier Island coast and watched seals and various sea birds. Also did I believe the Acacia trail which was super nice and peaceful.
How did you like the RAV4? Curious as it could be a good replacement for our '11 Tucson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal