The Official 2012 Overland Expo thread!!! Post your comments, questions, images...

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Will camp fires be allowed in the expo camping area? I see that it says no open fires on the Camping Info page but then on the News page it says: "Fire restrictions are in effect now. Campfires, charcoal, coal and wood fires allowed in developed campgrounds only. Gas stoves are allowed." I'm guessing that is for the campgrounds surrounding the expo location, not the actual campgrounds that are within the expo, right?

Mormon Lake Lodge is on private property, but we are conforming with Forest Service regulations, so no open ground fires. Fire pans, charcoal barbecues, gas fires, etc. are okay.

There are a whole bunch of outstanding vehicles rolling in here by the minute . . .

kb7our

Explorer
How's the weather and scenery up there guys? We're heading out in the morning from the Phoenix area staying in Munds Park off I17.

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
Camped last night up on the north rim, came back to Utah for the night to resupply. See you all tomorrow afternoon!

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Please, If you don't need a fire, don't have one. Even though it is private property, it is wise to go with the restrictions in effect with the adjoining forest (Currently RED FLAG).

Let's not be known as the group that burnt Mormon Lake down.

skibum315

Explorer
We'll be debuting a very promising pop-top sleeping system for the 80-Series Land Cruiser at this year's Expo, from Campteq in Colorado. Clamps to the rain gutters; access is either from inside through the front or rear sunroof, or from the outside. Very low highway profile.

View attachment 98170
Love the look of this thing ... unfortunately I can't attend the Expo this year, or I'd just ask directly, but do you have any contact info for the company; or a website? A quick Google search didn't turn up anything direct, only links to threads on other forums ...

Must say that I'm jealous of all you folks getting out there to this event. Maybe I can make it in the future.

ETA: Found the thread in the Landcruiser Forum, and got some more details there ... but still don't see contact info; may just need to PM the OP from that thread.

Last edited:

roamingaz

Explorer
Please, If you don't need a fire, don't have one. Even though it is private property, it is wise to go with the restrictions in effect with the adjoining forest (Currently RED FLAG).

Let's not be known as the group that burnt Mormon Lake down.
X2 on this, please no camp fires.

Does anyone know if 89 through Payson is still open?
I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon and wanted to avoid I-17, any route suggestions ?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Actually, under a red flag condition, there are NO outdoor fires permitted, regardless of property ownership. I can't even burn in my chiminea on my back porch in the city. Under a red flag, I believe, that you can't smoke outdoors, either.

X2 on this, please no camp fires.

Does anyone know if 89 through Payson is still open?
I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon and wanted to avoid I-17, any route suggestions ?

According to AZ511, there are some lane restrictions, but no closures on 89.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Jess- we flew into Phx yesterday, and drove up via 17 to alt89 then up through Sedona, on to Flagstaff, and no issues. The fires are very visible just west of 17 which may impact your preferred route as I am not too familiar with the area.
Can't wait to get over to Expo!!

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Upon further review, Do you mean 87 through Payson?

If so it currently is open with a heavy smoke, low visibility warning.

AZ511.gov

Description forest fire
Location On State Route 87, NS-bound from mile post 199.0, at Bush Highway Saguaro Lake Rd to mile post 235.70, at SR 188
Duration from Sat, 12 May 2012 3:43 PM Until Further Notice
Restrictions
Public Notes Heavy smoke may cause low visibility.
Event Id 45470

Adventurer
HI All,
I feel a bit embarrassed to ask these questions but until now I was not interested in attending. You see I had another trip planned that would prevent me from attending. But that trip fell through and my time is now available.

I think I am too late to attend but I thought I would ask anyway.

Is there a site where all the pertinent information is available? Such as:

1. Dates
2. Location with maps
3. Availability of camping locations, RV sites along with details such as trailer hookups, web sites, etc.
4. Cost such as tickets
5. Activities such trail outings?

I'm really sorry if all this has been covered elsewhere but I did not see it.

I would appreciate you response.

Thanks, Sparky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven