The Official 2012 Overland Expo thread!!! Post your comments, questions, images...

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We are coming for a look. Roseanne and co. have been inviting us for last couple of years and we finally have the chance to get away. A real last minute decision but now I can't wait.

Also the hospitality and invitation of accomadation offered by some of the ExPo members here was awesome. Thanks.

....oh yeah. The app is pretty cool too.

Regards John.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Getting ready to get under way to head to overlandexpo tomorrow, second time coming and safe to say this one will be huge for us as we are getting married there on Saturday afternoon and our hard work on the camel build will be on display in the VIP section...kicking off our round the world travels from thee as well..stop in and say G'Day..
march-23-278-L.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Question, are there mountain biking trails accessible from the Expo location? I don't know the Flagstaff trails at all and am hoping there is some riding right from the venue. Anyone have some beta? Gracias

STREGA

Explorer
Question, are there mountain biking trails accessible from the Expo location? I don't know the Flagstaff trails at all and am hoping there is some riding right from the venue. Anyone have some beta? Gracias

Since I have never been to Mormon Lake I was kinda wondering about that myself, although I don't know if there will be any spare time to much riding while there.

Fergie

Expedition Leader

Yes. I don't bike, but I'll ask the locals and have some info on it for you.

Also, Sedona is close for some killer trails, and the Peaks are 30 minutes away if you want some downhill.

G

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The AZ Trail is very close to the event as well....a few miles max and that is some decent single track stuff.

FJLED

Adventurer
Quick question. We'll be flying into Phoenix and renting a car to get up to OX. I noticed that the directions out of flagstaff note its partially a dirt road to the lake. Is there any reason 4wd would be needed (aside from class sign ups) to get to the campsights? Just trying to see if I need to spend an extra couple hundred on a 4wd rental or just go with the normal rental car? Thanks in advance.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The AZ Trail is very close to the event as well....a few miles max and that is some decent single track stuff.

Sweet, thanks man. Yeah, we are planning on hitting Sedona after Expo for some riding as well. I will try looking up info on the AZ trail.

roamingaz

Explorer
Hey Gavin, I'm trying to plan my route and not familar with the area. What would be the best way to get there from Payson / Pine area?
I'm trying to make my trip there and back on as many back roads as I can.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Quick question. We'll be flying into Phoenix and renting a car to get up to OX. I noticed that the directions out of flagstaff note its partially a dirt road to the lake. Is there any reason 4wd would be needed (aside from class sign ups) to get to the campsights? Just trying to see if I need to spend an extra couple hundred on a 4wd rental or just go with the normal rental car? Thanks in advance.

Unless you make a wrong turn, the entire route from PHX to Flag, and Flag to Mormon Lake is paved. The camping and parking around the Lake are dirt, but again, nothing a car couldnt handle easily.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Hey Gavin, I'm trying to plan my route and not familar with the area. What would be the best way to get there from Payson / Pine area?
I'm trying to make my trip there and back on as many back roads as I can.

Good question. You'll need a Skyhook to ascend the Mogollon Rim, or just drive the actual road up from Pine, and then head in the forest once you get above the Rim.

I'll look at my maps today and see what there is.

Gavin

FJLED

Adventurer
Unless you make a wrong turn, the entire route from PHX to Flag, and Flag to Mormon Lake is paved. The camping and parking around the Lake are dirt, but again, nothing a car couldnt handle easily.

Thanks for the information. I had looked at the directions yesterday and for some reason I thought the road out of flagstaff to Mormon Lake (or some portion of it) was listed as unpaved dirt road. Probably just misread. Anyways thanks for the clarification!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I downloaded the app its really cool.
Ill be arriving friday evening. Someone save me a spot to camp, Ill have some good adult beverages to share

We plan on getting up there Thursday night to try and pick out a primo spot. Look for the Glamping Society!

http://flagstaffbiking.org/

http://singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=58&pos=0

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
True but I don't even get to sleep in my Glamper. I'll only be able to come visit it like everyone else. :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven