The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

Dougnuts

I like alot about it. I see how this will be a big hit for most of the masses of LC users. But the hybrid powertrain is an immediate turn off. The last thing I want on my mind when out remote is an electronic nightmare. I just never see a place where fording water, dust intrusion, and electronics will be an inclusive love affair.

The powertrain is a turn-on for me. I'm not the least bit worried about an electronic nightmare. For those who are, the GX550 exists.

nickw

Adventurer
The powertrain is a turn-on for me. I'm not the least bit worried about an electronic nightmare. For those who are, the GX550 exists.
I think the Priuses have been very reliable - they work cab duty in many cities.....now they don't operate in extreme environments, but have shown how reliable they are in fairly demanding working conditions.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Yeah - if this has Payload numbers close to the Grenadier the IG is DOA from a practical perspective...
I'm interested in a whole slew of numbers to compare it. If this ticks all the boxes, and is straddled with a full hatch instead of a tailgate, that will be soOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOooooOOooo upsetting. Maybe its me, but the the full hatch vs tailgate or door, is what separates alot of truck usefulness vs minivan usefulness. if you like a hatchback, you need to put the (her/she) pronoun lable on your facebook page.

Markal

I saw 27mpg combined on Toyota's site.

Scroll down to the last image, which is interactive. Click on performance, then click on the bubble in front of the grille.

screenshot-2023-08-01-at-8-36-10-pm-png.900691
Awesome, thanks.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Are you girls really discussing MPG? Really? Range, maybe, but actual MPG? It's too late for pearl clutching! The earth is dead. The heat we're seeing now is from Pittsburgh pollution in 1982, we haven't even gotten to the industrial revolution of china yet. We done messed up, we're all dead, toss a HiPo 2fe and h55f in there and party like youre on the Titanic Dance floor.

Kingsize24

At 27mpg, that's a 50% increase for our 5th Gen 4Runner resulting in a 33% fuel savings. That's huge. The increased electric gremlins that could pop up is always concerning but I have more faith in Toyota than other manufacturers.
I think the Priuses have been very reliable - they work cab duty in many cities.....now they don't operate in extreme environments, but have shown how reliable they are in fairly demanding working conditions.

Different strokes 😉

But that's why many options are available, which is a plus. And I do think it works for the masses, just not me. Everyone has to be relaxed in their mind about the reliability and capabilities of any vehicle when remote traveling. That to me is what allows you to relax and enjoy the trip and focus other things. I just personally couldn't with the complexity of the hybrid system and associated electronics.

Markal

Are you girls really discussing MPG? Really? Range, maybe, but actual MPG? It's too late for pearl clutching! The earth is dead. The heat we're seeing now is from Pittsburgh pollution in 1982, we haven't even gotten to the industrial revolution of china yet. We done messed up, we're all dead, toss a HiPo 2fe and h55f in there and party like youre on the Titanic Dance floor.
Girls? Are you for real? Check your CO monitors.

utherjorge

Observer
I love the passive aggressive shade I keep seeing people post here: "It's a prado, just set your expectations accordingly..."

That's the same as the nonsense on IH8Mud. Some people need some pretty significant therapy.

Nope. They always were Land Cruisers. All of them And they all work just the same, arguably the best in the industry. Please offer constructive comments.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just watched the tfl review.
Couple of things jump out at me. Toyota has a serious model line up issue now. They have 3 versions of the 4runner in slightly different configurations and all very close in size.

The strange rear false raised floor bump up from the rear hatch seen in the Sequoia and now LC is a serious head scratcher. GM did that to the prior gen Tahoe/yukon when they were trying to eek out a few more yrs on the dated platform yet have fold in floor 3rd row to compete with the Expedition.

Toyotas SUV line up is super baffling with these new renditions of the 4runner, Sequoia and LC which are all very similar in size.

SkiWill

First, the name "Land Cruiser/Landcruiser" has been slapped on the 25, 40, 55, 60, 70, 80, 100, 150, 200, now 250, and 300 series. Sometimes with Prado, sometimes not. Recently in some markets one could buy a 76 series, 79 series, 150 series, and 200 series platforms all with a badge saying Landcruiser somewhere on the vehicle, so which one is the real "Landcruiser?" I don't really care. They could call this the Toyota Janitor Bucket for all I care as long as the build quality and payload are there and I can fit everyone I take with me on trips in the vehicle. I'm not buying a name, or anything else, to impress anyone, but I am buying a useful tool for remote travel.

I also think that the 27 mpg combined is excellent and I hope it is accurate, though I suspect it is highly optimistic in the real world as most manufacturer's estimated numbers tend to be.

However, if it is 27 mpg, even with a measly 20 gallon tank, that would be a fantastic 540 miles of range. YES PLEASE. YES PLEASE!!!!!!! I want more range. The 200 series, my Land Rover, and the Grenadier are all deplorable in this regard. Thank you. Give us the range specs, and please make sure it's 500+ miles. That is all.

phsycle

Adventurer
I like alot about it. I see how this will be a big hit for most of the masses of LC users. But the hybrid powertrain is an immediate turn off. The last thing I want on my mind when out remote is an electronic nightmare. I just never see a place where fording water, dust intrusion, and electronics will be an inclusive love affair.

Agreed. I don’t care if you drive a Toyota or Ford. Get water in electronics, and bad things happen. Only time I see heavy water crossings is way out in the boonies. It’s certainly a consideration if you do a lot of remote touring. Toyota has the hybrid thing down but they’re not impervious to breakdowns.

I know folks with 1st Gen 4Runners and GX’s with electrical issues after some water intrusion during water crossings. I can only imagine a newer vehicle will be exponentially worse.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
First, the name "Land Cruiser/Landcruiser" has been slapped on the 25, 40, 55, 60, 70, 80, 100, 150, 200, now 250, and 300 series. Sometimes with Prado, sometimes not. Recently in some markets one could buy a 76 series, 79 series, 150 series, and 200 series platforms all with a badge saying Landcruiser somewhere on the vehicle, so which one is the real "Landcruiser?" I don't really care. They could call this the Toyota Janitor Bucket for all I care as long as the build quality and payload are there and I can fit everyone I take with me on trips in the vehicle. I'm not buying a name, or anything else, to impress anyone, but I am buying a useful tool for remote travel.

I also think that the 27 mpg combined is excellent and I hope it is accurate, though I suspect it is highly optimistic in the real world as most manufacturer's estimated numbers tend to be.

However, if it is 27 mpg, even with a measly 20 gallon tank, that would be a fantastic 540 miles of range. YES PLEASE. YES PLEASE!!!!!!! I want more range. The 200 series, my Land Rover, and the Grenadier are all deplorable in this regard. Thank you. Give us the range specs, and please make sure it's 500+ miles. That is all.
The range thing was a big problem out west with my J80. Absolutely hated the lousy range so much so it was a big reason we moved to a Sequoia and got a 20% bump in range easily which made a big difference. However my current Expedition heavy tow consistently is about 2mpg average behind my Subaru 2.5i outback with a 25gallon tank and 400hp. Big trips easily land in the 500mile range.

The bigger issue here is that you’ll likely be choosing between the new 4runner with selectable 4whl and 2 wheel drive with better driving dynamics in 2whl and possibly better real mileage vs the near identical sized LC

If you need / want more load carrying capacity the Sequoia very slightly larger by just a few inches here and there is your choice. All three are very close to the same size. Super bizarre vehicle line up by a Auto maker

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Agreed. I don’t care if you drive a Toyota or Ford. Get water in electronics, and bad things happen. Only time I see heavy water crossings is way out in the boonies. It’s certainly a consideration if you do a lot of remote touring. Toyota has the hybrid thing down but they’re not impervious to breakdowns.

I know folks with 1st Gen 4Runners and GX’s with electrical issues after some water intrusion during water crossings. I can only imagine a newer vehicle will be exponentially worse.
Lots of V8 4runner owners ditched them when the ABS system went to the floor literally. Same system Mercedes put in the 500 series SLKs same issue too.

Toyota hasn’t been the poster boy of simplicity and bullet proof for over a decade now.

85_Ranger4x4

27mph hwy is not implausible, our non hybrid Bronco flirts with 25 pretty regularly.

But in retrospectit ours is not full time 4wd...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__