The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

nickw

Adventurer
I am completely baffled by the backlash to this reveal. I am in Germany right now and they only sell the 150 series here, and they just call it the Land Cruiser. In the end the Prado is just an addendum to the name to distinguish it from its larger sibling.
It's much more than an addendum in name.

I don't think any of the backlash, real or perceived (even from me) is real until we get the specs.....that will tell the story.

The current GX460 vs LC200 are nowhere near the same vehicle from an engineering perspective.

nickw

Adventurer
Yes, and I'd say, objectively, the only advantage. I've had full size trucks and I don't particularly like the footprint, but they work in North America and not the rest of the world which is why they dominate NA and are essentially absent the rest of the world. I'd never in a million years drive through small mountain villages overseas in a 3/4 ton Ram, but have done it in NA many times and driven any trail I've cared to drive as well.
People travel overseas in Unimogs and the most traveled overlanders, Turtle Expedition, has used full size NA Trucks for what, going on 40 years? I don't disagree with you, honestly, I'd be scared, but people make it work!

jmodz

I don't think any of the backlash, real or perceived (even from me) is real until we get the specs.....that will tell the story.

The current GX460 vs LC200 are nowhere near the same vehicle from an engineering perspective.
The GX and LC are different but the GX is no less of an engineering accomplishment. It has been the #1 most reliable vehicle according to Consumer Reports for quite a few years. Globally the LC200 series used the same 4.6L engine in certain markets.

We certainly need more specs and real world testing by normal people.

utherjorge

Observer
The GX and LC are different but the GX is no less of an engineering accomplishment. It has been the #1 most reliable vehicle according to Consumer Reports for quite a few years. Globally the LC200 series used the same 4.6L engine in certain markets.

Ask Middle Eastern royalty which use these as support vehicles ask...I mean, anyone, man. Dude's still playing they Grumpy Cat Prado Face game, and it seems that's going to be his personal cross to bear lol

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city

I disagree. It depends on the engineering.
Engineering comes in many forms but most commonly, optimized or over-engineered.
The LC Prado is an efficient use of engineering with a purpose-built function.
The LC is an excessive use of engineering with a purpose-built function. Hence you're HD rhetoric.

The engineering problem today is that the gained efficiencies of the LC Prado have earned a higher duty level that begins negating the need for the no-compromise over-engineered HD.
There is a healthy balance in engineering where the excess or robustness has negative effects on the total package.

i.e. HD axles sound great mechanically but they're heavier, cost more, and to some design engineers, only deliver marginally better performance. Sounds like an inefficient use of weight.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You can easily buy a Toyota out of state- get a one way ticket and drive it home for less than dealer add ons
You do realize Toyota is the largest store front owned brand in the Lithia Auto group which dominates most of the western US to the Mississippi. By far the worst offender for dealer markups. So much so every earnings report lists and brags about the average sale price over MSRP per unit. If people actually listened to these public earnings reports they would quit buying cars from these Auto Groups.

nickw

Adventurer
I disagree. It depends on the engineering.
Engineering comes in many forms but most commonly, optimized or over-engineered.
The LC Prado is an efficient use of engineering with a purpose-built function.
The LC is an excessive use of engineering with a purpose-built function. Hence you're HD rhetoric.

The engineering problem today is that the gained efficiencies of the LC Prado have earned a higher duty level that begins negating the need for the no-compromise over-engineered HD.
There is a healthy balance in engineering where the excess or robustness has negative effects on the total package.

i.e. HD axles sound great mechanically but they're heavier, cost more, and to some design engineers, only deliver marginally better performance. Sounds like an inefficient use of weight.
You disagree they are engineered different? They are. Your use case and perceptions are your own, mine maybe be different.

It's is incorrect to say they are engineered excessively - that depends on use case and be careful with your words, if we find out this has HD axles, I guess it isn't the rig for you since it's excessive and inefficient, you may have boxed yourself in there.

It's not rhetoric it's factual quantitative data I am after - dimension which speak to design intent. The old cruisers used overseas, including the modern 70's have FF axles, do you know why? Do you think Toyota just throws those on for the hell of it? It's too bad they got away from that but they still use the HD diff which again, speaks to design intent.

Your "healthy balance of engineering" may be somebody else's "diluted to a price point since nobody uses them as intended"....

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You do realize Toyota is the largest store front owned brand in the Lithia Auto group which dominates most of the western US to the Mississippi. By far the worst offender for dealer markups. So much so every earnings report lists and brags about the average sale price over MSRP per unit. If people actually listened to these public earnings reports they would quit buying cars from these Auto Groups.
I can drive about 20 miles from my house and buy without markups, another one in OKC as well. Ordered a highlander last year and paid sticker.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Zero interest in driving a 25-30 year old rig that is getting harder and harder to find parts for....but they are $40k for a REASON, no mid 90's Explorer is even on the road anymore let alone selling for more than original price with 100,000 miles on it. Now I may not agree with the reason, but many people do, ever think why? What do having rigs on the road that are 30+ years old do to consumer preferences?

The common consensus what the older cruisers were built to a 500,000 mile std., now who knows what the actual number was, but it was obvious to anybody that has dug into the specs or better yet owned one, they were built with a purpose in mind that didn't exist with any other model.

People lost their mind about IFS, sure, until people starting digging into the specs.....big front diff, large half-shafts, retained the HD rear end, huge tie rods, etc. That is why I am curious about the specs on this and why I personally am interested to know.

Tundra crossover example proves the point, it's a heavish duty 1/2T truck. What if Ford built a mid-size SUV to the same standard as the F150 HD Payload package., 9.75" rear axle, heavy duty frame, bigger axle housing, etc? The modern Expedition gets close but it's a $70k rig, is quite a bit bigger than the LC, IRS, etc and doesn't have a more focused offroad design philosophy.
Actually my cousin still daily drives his mid 90’s explorer. It has like 360,000 on it. It has been very low cost to run compared to my 93 J80 so theres that. People who buy expensive cars tend to keep them better serviced than people that buy less expensive vehicles. So yes you tend to see far more old high $ vehicles vs old lower cost vehicles simply due to owner resources and maintenance. But you find a well cared for Explorer like a well cared for J80 and i can promise you the explorer has been 1/2 the cost to own and run for 300+,000 miles 😆

nickw

Adventurer
Ask Middle Eastern royalty which use these as support vehicles ask...I mean, anyone, man. Dude's still playing they Grumpy Cat Prado Face game, and it seems that's going to be his personal cross to bear lol
Lost me - but full size LandCruisers, including 70's, are still very popular in the ME.

Prado's are great - probably work for most people, are comfortable and reasonably priced, I'd drive one in a heartbeat, but my comments still hold true, they are not built the same. If that bugs you that much and you insist a Prado is a "Landcruiser", I think that speaks volumes.

Obviously Expedition Portal agrees, they have their own subgroup.....

tacollie

Glamper
I actually like that it isn't a 300. It's smaller and cheaper. I think it'll be a big hit. LC enthusiast may not like it. People who like the allure of Land Cruiser but aren't actually Land Cruiser enthusiast will love it. People still love FJ cruises🤣

nickw

Adventurer
Actually my cousin still daily drives his mid 90’s explorer. It has like 360,000 on it. It has been very low cost to run compared to my 93 J80 so theres that. People who buy expensive cars tend to keep them better serviced than people that buy less expensive vehicles. So yes you tend to see far more old high $ vehicles vs old lower cost vehicles simply due to owner resources and maintenance. But you find a well cared for Explorer like a well cared for J80 and i can promise you the explorer has been 1/2 the cost to own and run for 300+,000 miles 😆
And it probably has resale value of $750! I don't buy any high mile rig and think current prices of LC's are stupid....but people out there spend $20k for a rig that they have no idea how to maintain properly. Parts for 40/60/80's are getting harder and harder to come buy but it goes to show you, those suckers have a legacy that sells, many of the guys I see driving 60/80's are probably to young to remember them new.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
And it probably has resale value of $750! I don't buy any high mile rig and think current prices of LC's are stupid....but people out there spend $20k for a rig that they have no idea how to maintain properly. Parts for 40/60/80's are getting harder and harder to come buy but it goes to show you, those suckers have a legacy that sells, many of the guys I see driving 60/80's are probably to young to remember them new.
Parts for 100s are not the easiest either. And I know Toyota reliability is legendary but age is age and rubber breaks down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle