The Ute & Intro _ E350

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Damn, I'm off portal for a day, and look what happens!!!!! Glad to see you on ExPo Nate!!!!

I know, good thing you didn't warn them!

Have you considered a poptop that would cover just a strip down the center of the roof?

The roof ideas keep changing and I can't decide! It started with something simple like cutting a hole and attaching a westy pop-top, then ideas.. A usable roof patio became a priority so now whatever happens will need to support it. I'm contemplating using hydraulics to hinge the entire roof or to raise it vertically. I know it sounds crazy but I think it would be cool!

but that means we can start lookin into finding one!!:smiley_drive:

There are deals out there. I picked up the ambulance for $5500 on craigslist. Check out this google custom search that lets you look nationwide on craigslist: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=007695268203510500512%3Amkr2kecxruc&ie=UTF-8&q=ambulance&sa=search+craigslist+click+here

OVRLND

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0017
thank you

naterry:

Thank you.

I am a guy looking for a ride. You vehicle choice and vision has REALLY inspired me.
I look forward to additional posts. Good luck.

UHAULER

Explorer
Nice job. Total transformation. It has inspired me to get back to working on my truck again.

I had thought about doing something similar with a SRW cutaway van.

arz

Adventurer
what did you use for front seats?

and do you still have the factory ones? are they any good? I've got vinyl up front and cloth in the back.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Dude, my grandpa used to tinker. He never managed to tinker up anything quite like that!

Super cool.

Cheers man, thanks for the props. I actually broke my finger on day 6 and subsequently winced when that hand touched ANYTHING for the next week. Wrenching heavy metal on a tight schedule with an injured paw sucks!

what did you use for front seats?

and do you still have the factory ones? are they any good? I've got vinyl up front and cloth in the back.

They were a junkyard score, 100$! :) I found the area in the junk yard that had the newly wrecked cars and there was an 08 Pontiac something that hadn't been rained on. They work great. You can see the old seats in one of my posts above, they were pretty nasty..

Time to go surfing!

D

Deleted member 1276

oh. my. gawwwd.

looks awesome! saw the picture of this on chris's site. glad to see more pics.

let us know lessons learned and stuff as time goes on if you would! Love it!

sojourner

Observer
This is very inspiring.

I'm curious to see what you do with the pop up idea.

This is a mock up of what I was thinking of doing.
popupmockup.JPG

Do you have plans for water? Shower? Sink? Bed?

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
let us know lessons learned and stuff as time goes on if you would! Love it!

Cheers, will do! I'm stuck in Washington State for a few weeks so no progress to report. It feels like mid-life-crisis time, but I already have a toy and just want to retire..

This is very inspiring.

I'm curious to see what you do with the pop up idea.

This is a mock up of what I was thinking of doing.
popupmockup.JPG

Do you have plans for water? Shower? Sink? Bed?

Thanks! A sink and tank are on the list but no shower or bathroom. I have a black 20gal water tank w/a pvc shower head attachment that will do if necessary. As for the pop-top I'm still undecided. It's tempting to buy an off the shelf top, cut a hole, and bolt it on. That would maintain some stiffness in the plane of the roof.

Bed? Check! It was a little pricey but I like the quality and simplicity of it. Here is a link to the manufacturer: http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvsofabeds/motorhomefurnituresofasDakota.htm
CIMG0031.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Very epic build and a ton of room inside.
Your setup would be a great insprition to a disabled person who needed alot of room.

Great job and keep it up.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Your setup would be a great insprition to a disabled person who needed alot of room.

Great job and keep it up.

Cheers!

Minor update:

Had time for a short trip to the mouth of the Mattole. Very interesting area. I set up one of the external storage compartments with a trash bin fastened inside, and then a small door from inside the box that you can open and throw the trash out. Keeps the box cleaner. Very handy, but it drove the critters nuts at night. I could hear the little bastards fingering and knawing on the external doors trying to get in for some trash treats. They were similarly frustrated by the BBQ in the other external box, but not the fridge box for some reason. Least of three smells?

Re: progress. Growing up around westies, I assumed that the vent for the fridge could be internal. It became clear during a test drive that the fumes & CO coming out of the internal vent were not safe. Home Depot had louvered returns for 14$ that fit the bill. You can see the eye-sore vents I added to the door in the pic below:

DSC_0061Custom.jpg

Form follows function I guess, but function well they do!

Not much to report besides that, throw rugs, stainless counter & backing, molding, seat mount. I'm stuck on the fence about the manual conversion..

Here are some more pics:

DSC_0043Custom.jpg

DSC_0063Custom.jpg

DSC_0241Custom.jpg

Happy Holidays!

Railvan

Adventurer
"I'm stuck in Washington State for a few weeks so no progress to report. It feels like mid-life-crisis time, but I already have a toy and just want to retire.."

You still in WA state? I just saw this thread again. If you are, and anywhere near NW Washington, we could meet up and have your conversion, a Sportsmobile and T'low's AstroMobile get together!

The interior looks great. Really clean conversion work.

Have you considered a side-hinged pop top? Seems like you could get more head room the whole length of the body with the top tilting up to one side. A Dormobile-type accordion fabric set up attached to it might work well.

Brian Rutherford

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Naterry,

That is really a great idea, I've seen a lot of converted Ambulances (most for ski bum'in around) and none of them could ever hold a candle to what you've been able to pull off with your build! I also have to agree with DSW, the rear departure angles cut into the box, look great, and again well thought out!! Going with Chris's 44 set up, what is the ride like in your van, I know that everyone tastes are different but how does it do on road, normal driving? An off road? This is something I'm addressing with my build (when the funds are there), wheel travel, with Quigley there's not enough, but still more then SMB and rides much nicer then a stock SMB (my opinion). I'd like to hear your thought's...

You really do have one of the coolest rig's (idea's) I've seem in a long time, you really pulled it off, way to go!! I wish I had your type of vision.. If you ever make it down to the SLC area give me a heads up, I would thoroughly enjoy checking out your rig and grabbing a bite!

Happy Holidays and keep up the good work and posts!!!

Cheers

(Advridr)

P.S. Where was that last picture taken, did you happen to get any info or pic's of that other expo rig parked by you?

Last edited:

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Mucho Gusto for the compliments comrades!

"I'm stuck in Washington State for a few weeks so no progress to report. It feels like mid-life-crisis time, but I already have a toy and just want to retire.."

You still in WA state? I just saw this thread again. If you are, and anywhere near NW Washington, we could meet up and have your conversion, a Sportsmobile and T'low's AstroMobile get together!

The interior looks great. Really clean conversion work.

Have you considered a side-hinged pop top? Seems like you could get more head room the whole length of the body with the top tilting up to one side. A Dormobile-type accordion fabric set up attached to it might work well.

Brian Rutherford

Cheers, I'm actually sitting in the tri-cities airport right now catching up on emails. I wish I was up here in the Ute, but it's for work. The private sector is so slow right now, I'm stuck bouncing around supporting DOE projects..

Something definitely needs to be done about the headroom situation.. It's interesting how early decisions drive a design: -like deciding on the larger fridge for my beer gut, which then positioned the cook-top higher, which then lead to my having to stand while cooking to see what's going on in the pans, and ultimately resulted in the pain in the neck.. literally!

A scavanged pop top from a westy style camper would be the cheapest, and probably easiest. My concern with hinging a segment of the existing roof is weight, and added time in the design work. For reference, the skin on the box is 1/8" thick. It adds up. The aluminum left from bobbing the rear was worth 20$ at the recyclers.. What to do.

Naterry,

Going with Chris's 44 set up, what is the ride like in your van, I know that everyone tastes are different but how does it do on road, normal driving? An off road? This is something I'm addressing with my build (when the funds are there), wheel travel, with Quigley there's not enough, but still more then SMB and rides much nicer then a stock SMB (my opinion). I'd like to hear your thought's...

You really do have one of the coolest rig's (idea's) I've seem in a long time, you really pulled it off, way to go!! I wish I had your type of vision.. If you ever make it down to the SLC area give me a heads up, I would thoroughly enjoy checking out your rig and grabbing a bite!

Happy Holidays and keep up the good work and posts!!!

Cheers

(Advridr)

P.S. Where was that last picture taken, did you happen to get any info or pic's of that other expo rig parked by you?

Cheers!

I'm very happy with Chris's (ujoint) conversion parts. They were all well made, and Chris was great to deal with. Wheel travel was not an issue on Usal road. That's the only place I've gotten the rig twisted up, and it easily absorbed apposing 2' deep ruts without lifting a tire. More expirimentation is needed here.

I would say that ride quality is acceptable, but needs improvement in a couple areas because of the nature of the Ute. On the road it's fine, if a little under-damped. I don't have any references from other converted vans, SMB's, etc. I wish I did..

By nature, I'm referring to the 5500lb rear axle weight, 4400lb front axle weight, and relatively high CG. Here's what I can think of:
  1. Installing a sway bar from a super duty in the front was a huge improvement, I think that should be a requirement for any top heavy rig at freeway speeds.
  2. Single dampers all the way around are also insufficient. This became painfully evident on back roads with inconveniently spaced bumps that created a compounding effect on the jounce frequency. I will be doubling them soon.
  3. The steering geometry can be improved. I'm still investigating what route I want to take to minimize the bump steer.
Those are the main drivability points.

The last pic was at the mouth of the Mattole river: http://maps.google.com/maps?source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&sll=40.211668,-124.04108&sspn=0.404809,0.891953&ie=UTF8&q=http:%2F%2Fworldbeachlist.com%2Fkml.php%3Fbeach%3D833&ftid=38E28C046A9BE245&ll=40.288622,-124.35726&spn=0.012636,0.027874&t=h&z=16
It's a beautiful place, and just hard enough to get to to deter the drooling masses. Funny about the rig: he was a a german guy and wifey on their 5th month of travels through the americas. He came across canada and was headed down to chile I believe. nice guy, we ran into eachother again an a nearby backroad looking for access to a lighthouse road. NIce rig, ex ambulance conversion with a hinged top and typical 1300L camper layout. I actually just returned from a 6mo stint in Deutshland, not too far from this guy's hometown:
DSC_0237Custom.jpg

-AND I will DEFINITELY be passing through SLC! My best friend is finishing up med school there and we are long overdue for some back country boarding/tele-whacking. I'll keep you posted.

Nate (glad to be headed back to warm SF!!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl

Members online