The "yet to be named" tundra build

the dude

Adventurer
my 06 gas hog with a turning radius of a super tanker.

st

Just thought that needed a quote in this thread. I have 5000km on the truck since purchase and I have not broken 14mpg. Our trip this weekend pulling our 18' lund was at 22L/100km or 10.7mpg doing 62mph. OUCH I can't even get 400km on a tank.

Is there a larger tank option for these things? Are guys really getting 16-18mpg? What am I doing wrong?

I fabbed up a rack for the fridge with the small folding seat in the rear removed.

0a091551.jpg

On a more positive note, this showed up on FedEx yesterday:

5a5f796e.jpg

Ride-rite kit 2245 and a Tekonsha P3, both on sale from adventurerv.net. I hope my rear springs show up before the end of the month. We are heading back out and I have serious saggy *** syndrome.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

Are you adjusting your miles driven for your new taller tires? With the 255's there is roughly an 8% change going on there over the 265's. ex: 150 miles (on the odometer) is going to be 162 miles actual........
You'll like the Timbrens....

the dude

Adventurer
yup, I did that, it's closer to 10% according to the GPS. I even figured it out in imperial gallons just to try and make myself feel better about it.

I think it's pretty common, I am going to waste some money on fuel treatment, Wynns, seafoam and a bio-diesel flush. We'll see if it helps.:Wow1:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Hmmm...about the gas mileage. My truck averages 17 mpg daily driving and 15 while towing the construction trailer. As the cost of gas greatly affects the bottom line of my business I keep pretty good tabs on it. What I have noticed is that the available fuel mix in certian areas makes a big difference in MPG. When we go down to visit Jim down in Virginia my average gas mileage drops a good 2 mpg when running the Virginia gas blend. I complain about it every time we head down. They have a higher ethanol content then we do here in rural Pennsylvania.

jim65wagon

I complain about it every time we head down. They have a higher ethanol content then we do here in rural Pennsylvania.

Every single time too! Although we're usually a little less price wise......

Dude: Change all your oils to full synthetic?
Change your sparkplugs
Change the transmission fluid
change the air filter
Clean your throttle body

what psi for air in your tires?

the dude

Adventurer
We have a 10% blend of ethanol in these parts as well, it does make a difference.

All synthetic oil
Changed the plugs
New air filter (toyota)
35 psi on the way there, 55 psi on the way home (it beat the hell out of us, but I had to try)

Transmission is going to get a flush and castrol transynd put in its place. (love this stuff for autos)
Good call on the throttle body, never thought of that, will do the MAF as well. (although I am not throwing any codes or CEL)

What about O2 sesnsors? Again, no CEL but they are old?

Last edited:

the dude

Adventurer
$380 on parts, one loose spark plug and a throttle body I could scoop grunge off of, I am hoping I fixed my poor L/100km.

Whoever decided that having a "non-serviceable" transmission with no dipstick (and hence no way to fill or check levels) should be drawn and quartered! Long life trans oil that never has to be changed... ya right. Tomorrows project, change, clean and flush the transmission.

I also have a truspeed speedo calibration modular coming. Talking with my local Toyota service guru this will make a difference on my shift points.

the dude

Adventurer
HOLY COW. leaky power steering hose and my local dealership wanted $800 and change for a new line. No labour... just the part. WOW. I found it out of the US for $350 but still. Went down to my local hydraulics shop and for $45 I am back in business. I also decided for the $75 to flush my transmission that Toyota can do it for me. Scheduled for next Friday.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I just started using fuelly to track my consumption. It is interesting to compare how others are doing and what the average is for all users of your year and model. Your rig is averaging about 15l/100km among fuelly users. I'm surprised to see the 2007 and later Tundras doing as well or batter.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tundra

the dude

Adventurer
Thanks for the fuelly link. I only have one partial fill on there but it does appear that all the maintenance helped.

I got the air bags installed last night and my first impression are that they are VERY impressive. 10 lbs of air brought the truck up 1.5" telling me that the rear springs are shot (I already knew this and the Deavers should show up next week!) So I pumped them up to 45lbs, grabbed the wife and went for a drive. First thing out of her mouth was what did I do as the truck wasn't bouncing all over the place on the city street bumps! PERFECT. Headed out for some gravel washboard and the track handle 100% better. Install was fairly simple with a set of holes drilled into the frame for the upper mount and a couple holes for the air lines.

No pictures as my camera died. I will try and get some of the completed install today.

the dude

Adventurer
I am now on the look out out for an air compressor. I have a Extreme Aire in the land Cruiser so I will most likely stick with that again and install a permanent unit in the tundra. I like the idea of adj the air bags from in the cab so I may look at a solution for that as well.

Drivers side bag,

57ede39d.jpg

Fill valves located in the license plate

9a142562.jpg

Rack across the bed. With the tailgate locked you can't get anything out of the box.

ca966c82.jpg

Brake controller under the dash and Parking brake modified to clear the speaker pod.

2b9811bf.jpg

Better stance:

a828a610.jpg

the dude

Adventurer
Sorry I am throwing this in here, did a few mods to the trailer. The front strut is on the out side of the trailer and rear one is inside the box. This was to retain the tailgate and not run into interference when opening it.

3c02938a.jpg

If anybody wants to learn how to change split rims, come on over, and bring a high lift jack... I can't get the bead broke on the one on the floor. I would love my own tire change monkey.

0244db71.jpg

I also got the new axle underneath. A 3500lbs, 10" electric brakes with 6 lugs hubs. Still needs to get wired up.

db2f2ddf.jpg

A buddy is bringing me a couple AGM batteries for the front nose box. Trying to figure out what the best way to have both 12V and 24V systems on the trailer. Hopefully I will have it done by the end of the weekend.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Looks great! I love the DCs. Couple questions, can you use the trailer's wheels as spares for the Tundra? Seems like it would be nice if they were interchangeable. Also, why do you need 24v in the trailer? Do the Firestone airbags help out the ride even unloaded?

the dude

Adventurer
Thanks!

The trailer is pulling double duty, getting pulled behind the Tundra is not it's priority. The tires on the trailer are 36" tall and won't fit on the truck (all though I would like that, the wife would KILL me!!) The nice thing is the tundra spare fits on the trailer. I love the airbags even unloaded, we will see if that changes with a new set of springs, if they ever get here.

The trailer was built for this rig, a 24 volt Diesel Land Cruiser on 37" rubber. Ideally I would like to be able to switch the two batteries from 12V to 24V dependent on which truck was towing it. I have all 24V acc (fridge, lights, winch, air compressor etc) so it would be nice to have the trailer do both.

IMG_2571.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater