Third member is going on my 01 4runner

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Cast what?
First thought for a plug is an O-Ring Boss plug, but they'll need the special tool to cut the O-ring groove.

AH-HA! Stat-o-Seal! Can use a normal bolt with a filed-flat surface at the top of the hole. Could use a Button or Low head Cap Screw if things are that tight on the outside.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Photog said:
The hole in the casting should be threaded. Install a shortened bolt, with Locktite.
Thats what I was thinking. Its the weird inverted threads that ARB used, but if its the right bolt that should work. They said they are trying to figure it out. :snorkel:

SOAZ

ntsqd said:
Cast what?
First thought for a plug is an O-Ring Boss plug, but they'll need the special tool to cut the O-ring groove.

AH-HA! Stat-o-Seal! Can use a normal bolt with a filed-flat surface at the top of the hole. Could use a Button or Low head Cap Screw if things are that tight on the outside.
The housing of the front diff is cast I think.
I'll suggest that to them. thank you!!!

Photog

Explorer
SOAZ said:
Thats what I was thinking. Its the weird inverted threads that ARB used, but if its the right bolt that should work. They said they are trying to figure it out. :snorkel:

Enlarge the hole one size, and tap it again, for a more common thread. Then install a plug (bolt).

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Photog said:
Enlarge the hole one size, and tap it again, for a more common thread. Then install a plug (bolt).
What Brian said. Way easier than trying to figure out and then find something oddly threaded.

SOAZ

ntsqd said:
What Brian said. Way easier than trying to figure out and then find something oddly threaded.

From speaking with them it sounded like the hole was so close to one of the bolts holding the clam shell design together that it wasn't possible. I'm going to call again and see if I can get some suggestions.

Photog

Explorer
SOAZ said:
From speaking with them it sounded like the hole was so close to one of the bolts holding the clam shell design together that it wasn't possible. I'm going to call again and see if I can get some suggestions.

Hmm. The ARB piece that threads into the hole, has a hole through it. Tap that hole, and plug it.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I feel bad for you. I would be very unhappy with this work (I'm using 'nice' words)!

I have been thinking a lot about re-gearing and lockers today, considering only an ARB in the rear like Scott B. (Disco project) and not re-gearing (keeping my 3.73). Your troubles with your shop that was supposed to know what they were doing is a good reminder to reconsider 'who is going to do what' to my rig.

SOAZ said:
AND THE PLOT THICKENS:
4wheelers said the airline hole was mounted int he wrong spot. (I knew this, it made the air line hose come right out toward the oil pan. I figured a 90 degree fixture would fix it) WHAT I DIDN'T know is that on the inside the copper line was in contact with the ring gear and it already wore a hole in the copper line. They are trying to figure out how to plug the old hole... Can't weld because its cast. Can't plug it because the ring is so close that it would hit most plugs....
What the heck. I have some bad luck. Anyone want me to give them lottery numbers? Its gotta turn sometime!

SOAZ

ntsqd said:
Pictures?

The trucks not with me. I'm just talking to the shop on the phone at this point... :Mechanic:
I wish I could at least see it and then check the ARB directions to see if the first shop was really "following" them as they stated.

SOAZ

Redline said:
I feel bad for you. I would be very unhappy with this work (I'm using 'nice' words)!

I have been thinking a lot about re-gearing and lockers today, considering only an ARB in the rear like Scott B. (Disco project) and not re-gearing (keeping my 3.73). Your troubles with your shop that was supposed to know what they were doing is a good reminder to reconsider 'who is going to do what' to my rig.

Thanks, just talking about it keeps me from getting too down. I can vent about my frustrations so I can keep the business part of this transaction business and not yelling.
The kicker is that my girlfriends car that we were sharing died. (brakes completely failed, it will cost more to replace the brakes than the old camry)
Now I'm renting a car and we are sharing that to get around. The costs are rising and the frustration is mounting. Oh well, I can't do anything at this point, but let others do their job...

slooowr6

Explorer
Tim,
Vent/rant all you want if it helps. It's a good idea to keep your cool with the shop. Hope it all worked out at the end. Feel bad for you, it's very frustrating in this kind of situation.

SOAZ

Just talked to the shop. They were able to drill re thread and plug it from the inside and loctite it.
If it works, great. If it leaks... I don't even want to start worrying about it, but when I'm out on a trail somewhere I will. I now have a plugged diff instead of a nice one that I should have. I don't care as long as it works. I just know what usually fails on a toyota. "whatever has been touched or messed with after toyota built it" :truck:
It sounds like the "cost" has gone up significantly. I did at least ask the service guy, Mike to have them take notes on all of the issues etc so I have a record of what was damaged or installed incorrectly...

I was going to camp and do the crown king back road saturday morning. What do you think, will a Saturn Ion make it with a roof top tent on the top of it? :littlefriend:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Tim, I don't normally wander into the toyota section....but damn! What a pain.

As for toyota gears being "hard" to set up....not in my experience. I have set up 3 or 4 tacoma 3rd members and as many toy front (IFS) diffs....they are by far the easiest I have set up. Not that I am doing it on a daily basis...but I have set up a couple D44's, a couple D60's, 10 bolt, 12 bolt, and some taco stuff....spread out over the last 15 years or so....the toyota stuff is the easiest....once you have the right parts (like side bearing shims that aren't included in the master install kits for the front diffs, and the proper pinion nut for the rear diff--again not included in the master install kits I have used).

SOAZ

goodtimes said:
Tim, I don't normally wander into the toyota section....but damn! What a pain.

As for toyota gears being "hard" to set up....not in my experience. I have set up 3 or 4 tacoma 3rd members and as many toy front (IFS) diffs....they are by far the easiest I have set up. Not that I am doing it on a daily basis...but I have set up a couple D44's, a couple D60's, 10 bolt, 12 bolt, and some taco stuff....spread out over the last 15 years or so....the toyota stuff is the easiest....once you have the right parts (like side bearing shims that aren't included in the master install kits for the front diffs, and the proper pinion nut for the rear diff--again not included in the master install kits I have used).

You're right. They said it was a pain so I said "oh man, I guess these suck huh. Sorry its been such a pain to install." I got it thrown back at me by the shop owner saying that "you said yourself that these toyota diffs are really difficult..." I was just be nice and agreeing when I had said it, but oh well.
What to do what to do...

Can you pm me your cell? I'll call you when I get home about the piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach