Third member is going on my 01 4runner

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
another update. All of the parts except the "slinger" that keeps oil up by the pinion are in. Anyone have one of these just lying around?
haha. I doubt it, but I might as well ask....

None in stock in az. Closest one is in washington. I'll be lucky if the part is here by monday...

Last edited:

grillmasterp

Observer
SOAZ said:
another update. All of the parts except the "slinger" that keeps oil up by the pinion are in. Anyone have one of these just lying around?
haha. I doubt it, but I might as well ask....

None in stock in az. Closest one is in washington. I'll be lucky if the part is here by monday...

Actually I may have a spare or two
part # 41214-35020 ?

see doc1
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~grillmasterp/7_5_Tacoma_IFS/

I picked up extra consumables when I installed the RD-90 in my tacoma

SOAZ

grillmasterp said:
Actually I may have a spare or two
part # 41214-35020 ?

see doc1
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~grillmasterp/7_5_Tacoma_IFS/

I picked up extra consumables when I installed the RD-90 in my tacoma

Thats the one. What a random little part huh. Especially odd that there is one in every 4runner and tacoma and yet there are none "outside of a toyota" in the united states except washington and yours!
Will you accept my first born, I don't have one that I "know" of yet, and a 12 pack of Tecate, and.... hmmm. Well, an easter basket? :drool:

grillmasterp

Observer
SOAZ said:
Will you accept my first born, I don't have one that I "know" of yet, and a 12 pack of Tecate, and.... hmmm. Well, an easter basket? :drool:

I will go confirm I have it from my parts box-
I'll PM you my phone #
I can send it out today if needed

just cover shipping & replacement

-Phong

Terracoma

Adventurer
Have I ever mentioned how awesome this forum is? Just checking.

Best of luck to you, Tim, looks like she'll be back in your driveway soon!

SOAZ

Terracoma said:
Have I ever mentioned how awesome this forum is? Just checking.

Best of luck to you, Tim, looks like she'll be back in your driveway soon!
Thank you! :truck:

Seriously! From this frustrating experience I keep seeing how great the expedition community is! Add to that the GREAT people I met during the clean-up and I just feel privilaged to know some of them.:elkgrin:

Phong rocks!

SOAZ

I'm like a 15 and a Half year old kid waiting to get his permit. I can't sit still. My truck may actually be DONE!!! I can't believe it!
I just drove it home from 4wheelers. No noise, no clicking, whirring, kerplunking, whaming, slaming or jaming!
It sounds great! I'll be fully recovered when I test the front locker to see if it engages. I'm at my cubicle crawling the walls for the drive home. Joy o joy o joy. I'm glad I'm not at all attached to my vehicle..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Its truly a happy day. Its like my puppy came home.

SOAZ

bout time. Now its time to see what they say about re-imbursement. I returned the rental car today, that was expensive... DOH!

SOAZ

SOOO CLOSE to being done...

Well, the gears are great, the lockers work...

The front driver side axle leaks like the titanic out of the front diff....

I am thinking about doing it myself. I just don't trust ANY shops out there touching my truck again.

Anyone done those? Any good write ups on it out there? I hope there is not an inner seal that can only be reached from the inside of the diff... Is there?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Driver side axle leaks.

SOAZ said:
Well, the gears are great, the lockers work...

The front driver side axle leaks like the titanic out of the front diff....

I am thinking about doing it myself. I just don't trust ANY shops out there touching my truck again.

Anyone done those? Any good write ups on it out there? I hope there is not an inner seal that can only be reached from the inside of the diff... Is there?

I bet you are leaking for two reasons:

1-Your aftermarket gears have moved your Driver side CV out a bit from the diff due to thicker gears.

2-The existing seal is installed too deep into the diff.

Read through the link posted here again. I had the same issue.

If you are mechanically inclined the fix is easy:
  1. Jack up vehicle
  2. Drain front diff
  3. Remove wheel
  4. Remove dust cover over 35 mm CV nut.
  5. Remove cotter pin from end of CV to allow nut removal.
  6. Temporarily install wheel.
  7. Lower wheel to the ground and have someone in truck step on brakes.
  8. Remove 35 mm CV nut. (depending on your wheels you may have to remove the 35 mm CV nut without the wheel on).
  9. Place jack under lower control arm and jack up to take some of the load from your front coils.
  10. Remove four lower Ball Join bolts
  11. Separate lower control arm from spindle by lowering the jack. You may need to lift the spindle up (just put the jack under the caliper and lift slowly, you may want to put a piece of wood under there too to protect the caliper). Also make sure to control the spindle as you are separating it from the lower control arm so it does not over stress your brake line or upper ball joint.
  12. Pull CV out (you may need to tap it out with a brass punch or crow bar and a hammer. This is much easier with some help but you can do it your self.
  13. Inspect inside of side gear where you just pulled the CV out of the diff to make sure the C clip at the end of the CV did not break. It typically breaks when removing a CV from an ARB IFS locked toyota diff. Use a magnet to pick out any broken pieces.
  14. Remove old seal using a screwdriver.
  15. Re-install old seal.
  16. Re-install CV. Again take it easy here because the C clips tend to break on re-insertion as well. Your CV will not be properly seated if it breaks. You can tell if it is properly seated by pullin on it afterwards (pull the steel part of the inner CV, not the outer otherwise you may pull the boot off of it). It should stay in place if properly seated.
  17. Re-install lover ball joint bolts with lock tite and proper torque (very importante step).
  18. Re-install wheel.
  19. Re-fill diff.
  20. Drive and be happy!

Odd tools and spare parts you may need:
35 or 36 mm socket
C clips for end of CV get a few spares to carry with you while you are at it should you need to repalce a CV while on the trail
small pencil type magnet to be able to go into side gear of diff to pick up any broken C clip parts.

Good luck.
Cheers,
P

SOAZ

Beauty! Thats what I was hoping to hear.
That post was great! I didn't take all of that info in before.
Thank you!! :bowdown:

SOAZ

That worked out great.
It took less than an hour to change out and then I changed the motor oil too. The one good thing about this long.... experience is that I am learning my truck better every day!:sunny:
:victory:

SOAZ

ttora4runner said:
Good to hear that all is good with your 4runner, now get it over to Yuma for a run.:smiley_drive:

Sounds good. Promise to keep the AC on over there. It gets hot over there! I mean 110 here is nice, but I draw the line at 111 in Yuma! :shakin:

Whats your next planned run?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater