Third member is going on my 01 4runner

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Gear installs

I always get a great laugh from ZUK's rebuilds.
I was foolish enought to tackle my own re-gear and without ZUK's support (via e-mails) and his website it would have been impossible. Superb guy and quality work. You won't have a issue with that install for as long as you own your rig. What are you doing about the front?

Cheers,
P

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
p1michaud said:
I always get a great laugh from ZUK's rebuilds.
I was foolish enought to tackle my own re-gear and without ZUK's support (via e-mails) and his website it would have been impossible. Superb guy and quality work. You won't have a issue with that install for as long as you own your rig. What are you doing about the front?

Cheers,
P

... I have an appt with 4wheelers. Even though Rex had a bad experience I don't know where else to take it that knows toyotas and doesn't charge twice as much.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Toyota IFS front diffs.

SOAZ said:
... I have an appt with 4wheelers. Even though Rex had a bad experience I don't know where else to take it that knows toyotas and doesn't charge twice as much.

It may be fine. Would they be willing to let you be there while they complete the set up? That way you could verify the following to ensure that their set up is correct:

1-Pinion depth/shim
2-Carrier pre-load
3-Pattern check, this is a real pain on the Toyota IFS front diffs especially if you don't have the proper equipment.
4-Pinion Pre Load

This would provide you with some confidence that the set up is correct.

One more question, are you putting a locker in the front as well or simply re-gearing? If so, this would invove a bit more work.

Cheers,
P

SOAZ

p1michaud said:
It may be fine. Would they be willing to let you be there while they complete the set up? That way you could verify the following to ensure that their set up is correct:

1-Pinion depth/shim
2-Carrier pre-load
3-Pattern check, this is a real pain on the Toyota IFS front diffs especially if you don't have the proper equipment.
4-Pinion Pre Load

This would provide you with some confidence that the set up is correct.

One more question, are you putting a locker in the front as well or simply re-gearing? If so, this would invove a bit more work.

Cheers,
P

Yep, the ARB locker and 4.88's are in the front. I was able to check the pattern via the drain hole. I painted a few teeth and then went forward and back in 4wd to get a good pattern under load.
The teeth are definately better than the rear, but they are grabbing on half of the tooth only. Plus it whines when the revolutions get up past 15 miles an hour.

I was thinking about hanging out and watching the re-install. I can spot a bad pattern, but I'm not of a lot of use when it comes to the more fine adjustments.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
ARB and aftermarket gears.

SOAZ said:
Yep, the ARB locker and 4.88's are in the front. I was able to check the pattern via the drain hole. I painted a few teeth and then went forward and back in 4wd to get a good pattern under load.
The teeth are definately better than the rear, but they are grabbing on half of the tooth only. Plus it whines when the revolutions get up past 15 miles an hour.

I was thinking about hanging out and watching the re-install. I can spot a bad pattern, but I'm not of a lot of use when it comes to the more fine adjustments.

Since you are installing an ARB with aftermarket gears, read this: ARB RD-90 Install questions

Having a correct pattern is only part of the battle for a long and trouble free operation. Once this shop has done their thing, could you have someone else check their work? Also, if you have questions the ARB USA technical support is second to none. Give them a call if need be.

Good luck,
P

SOAZ

Nice write-up! Thank you!
I decided to make an appointment with 4wheelers and have them take a look at it. Basically I'm asking them to take it apart and make sure its put together correctly.
Since when I turn on the front diff lock oil spewed out of the breather I know that they screwed it up pretty good.
Doh! :violent-smiley-031:

SOAZ

Here are some RPM numbers with 4.88's and 255-85-16 Cooper ST's
IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

Rexsname

Explorer
Wow! Thats close, I still have the 32" BFGs on with my 4.88s and the speedo is way off. (no suprise there) I'll have 33" tires after the Pinal County Fair next week and check the speed/RPMs.

REX

SOAZ

Rexsname said:
Wow! Thats close, I still have the 32" BFGs on with my 4.88s and the speedo is way off. (no suprise there) I'll have 33" tires after the Pinal County Fair next week and check the speed/RPMs.

REX

Yah, its not too bad. I was surprised. Of course it gets worse the higher speed I drive, but it's pretty close. :elkgrin:
Post up what you end up with.

BruceTS

Observer
Just a side not on the accuracy of the speedo... on 4Runners with ABS, only tire size will have any effect, changing gears won't matter, since the sensors are at each wheel, unlike Tacoma's that have a speed sensor at the T-case.

SOAZ

BruceTS said:
Just a side not on the accuracy of the speedo... on 4Runners with ABS, only tire size will have any effect, changing gears won't matter, since the sensors are at each wheel, unlike Tacoma's that have a speed sensor at the T-case.
Very good to know!
I learn something every day.
I guess the power of mental suggestion is strong. I felt like it was a bit closer in line with speed now. I guess not. :confused:
Oh well. The good part is my mental calculater when I see a cop is still intact. Slow to about 5 under and I'll be at the speed limit! :oops:

Photog

Explorer
SOAZ said:
Very good to know!
I learn something every day.
I guess the power of mental suggestion is strong. I felt like it was a bit closer in line with speed now. I guess not. :confused:
Oh well. The good part is my mental calculater when I see a cop is still intact. Slow to about 5 under and I'll be at the speed limit! :oops:
Your GPS tells you it is very close. It may not have been as close, with the factory tires on it. They typically run on the safe side.

SOAZ

AND THE PLOT THICKENS:
4wheelers said the airline hole was mounted int he wrong spot. (I knew this, it made the air line hose come right out toward the oil pan. I figured a 90 degree fixture would fix it) WHAT I DIDN'T know is that on the inside the copper line was in contact with the ring gear and it already wore a hole in the copper line. They are trying to figure out how to plug the old hole... Can't weld because its cast. Can't plug it because the ring is so close that it would hit most plugs....
What the heck. I have some bad luck. Anyone want me to give them lottery numbers? Its gotta turn sometime!

Photog

Explorer
SOAZ said:
AND THE PLOT THICKENS:
4wheelers said the airline hole was mounted int he wrong spot. (I knew this, it made the air line hose come right out toward the oil pan. I figured a 90 degree fixture would fix it) WHAT I DIDN'T know is that on the inside the copper line was in contact with the ring gear and it already wore a hole in the copper line. They are trying to figure out how to plug the old hole... Can't weld because its cast. Can't plug it because the ring is so close that it would hit most plugs....
What the heck. I have some bad luck. Anyone want me to give them lottery numbers? Its gotta turn sometime!

The hole in the casting should be threaded. Install a shortened bolt, with Locktite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach