Thread for those that have their money down.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I'm interested in the opinions of those that are actually tire kicking with money. Actual potential buyers. (Or owners if youre in Oz or Scotland or something)

I took the test drive 4/27/23 at Buds Creek, and my "rational" mind flipped to, "forget it" I want it mind, so I'm looking to discuss impressions and questions with others that also are in queue.

My quick assessment is.... It's an affordable updated 1990's G320 (gasser).

Why?

The underside is tight and cluttered as hell. Even the rear gas tank looks like the butt of a G .. just hanging there, in the way, bulbous, but yet amazingly small. There's no room for anything. Magna Styer box frame? Check. Solid tight overheavy build quality where nothing creaks? Check. Super short radius arms up front where a 50mm lift will cause the 5 link death wobble and your castor will go to pure crap? Check. Can't fit a real winch, and you're stuck with the factory custom minispool (15 meters) Redwinch, which you will never be able to repair in the US? Check. You'll have to stop 300 yards from a traffic light to see it if your're 6'4"? Check. (To be fair, that may have been one of the finer qualities they decided to carry over from a Defender). Inability to put larger tires on and have anything akin to a useful turning radius due to the proximity of the frame and arms? Check.

Overhead console is cool but is definitely a pain, the only saving grace being, It's not a standard transmission so you won't need that right arm as it searches for switches above and behind your sight line. Speaking of the tranny, there's not enough engine braking or low gearing for steep descents. it scoots downhill in 4low. It really does remind me of the G320 in that regard.

Actual seating was fine, but it was a short drive. I rode in both front and back. The sacrifice compared to a D110 being the cargo space seems much smaller. If it had d110 ride height, and d110 ground clearance, it could have been a smidge longer for more d110 like cargo.

After riding in it, I'm still stuck on it being the perfect truck for someone that has the exact questions it answers. But like... who ever said, "I need a shorter winch line on a winch that costs 3x as much."?

Anyway, Right now I want it. I'm sure due in large part because I want to be one of the cool kids in the club parking lot, While discussing the finer attributes of Sir. Radcliff with a cigar and overpriced scotch. And it'll do whatever any other mall cruiser would do with real, actual doors in back. I couldn't see ever buying a new 4 door Defender over this. That would be stupid. I really do see more women than men driving those on the road. A Defender. A Real Estate sales mangers car. It makes me cry. Real men can cry, you know.

Anyone else take it for a drive and have any other critiques?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I drove it in Colorado Springs. I do like it. I will likely continue with the plan to buy one for now.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I bailed, bought a Bronco 2-door (manual tranny Sasquatch- feels like a manual NAS) and keeping the Tithonus to boot. I honestly like the F-150 cab/ergonomics better, being 6’-3”.
They are cool, was hoping to replace a few vehicles and eliminate the ‘fleet’, but just can’t as I don’t feel it’s all that…

zimm

Expedition Leader
I bailed, bought a Bronco 2-door (manual tranny Sasquatch- feels like a manual NAS) and keeping the Tithonus to boot. I honestly like the F-150 cab/ergonomics better, being 6’-3”.
They are cool, was hoping to replace a few vehicles and eliminate the ‘fleet’, but just can’t as I don’t feel it’s all that…
See, that's my sticking point. I was gonna get rid of the fj60's and either the f150 or the f350, and get this, but while its a capable truck, its not close to being the the cheap doall improved Defender. Tad small. Tad too low on towing. and not as modular as advertised, as far as I can tell. Now with modern design and manufacturing we're seeing more products for lower volume trucks, but... It'll never do what a work wagon Defender could do, or what an f150 does, or get close to the capability/versatility of my highly modified fj60. It seems as "locked in" to its factory design as any IFS unibody suv out there. Very difficult to modify without huge compromises or money. Which for me has always been the achilies heel of the 461 G.

Funny how, if i decide I cant make this work, I was going to shift gears completely and my next goto was going to be the 2 door bronco.

nickw

Adventurer
2 door bronco is a modern day LC70 IMO, ticks off a lot of boxes including being able to 'upgrade' to D60 rear and a HD D44 IFS up front and having full parts support in your hometown.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I drove a prototype in April. It had a floaty solid axle feel that immediately reminded me of my '96 D1. Vehicle size, build quality, space, layout and factory features (under full factory warranty) all checked their boxes. I was sold instantly.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I'm interested in the opinions of those that are actually tire kicking with money. Actual potential buyers. (Or owners if youre in Oz or Scotland or something)

I took the test drive 4/27/23 at Buds Creek, and my "rational" mind flipped to, "forget it" I want it mind, so I'm looking to discuss impressions and questions with others that also are in queue.

My quick assessment is.... It's an affordable updated 1990's G320 (gasser).

Why?

The underside is tight and cluttered as hell. Even the rear gas tank looks like the butt of a G .. just hanging there, in the way, bulbous, but yet amazingly small. There's no room for anything. Magna Styer box frame? Check. Solid tight overheavy build quality where nothing creaks? Check. Super short radius arms up front where a 50mm lift will cause the 5 link death wobble and your castor will go to pure crap? Check. Can't fit a real winch, and you're stuck with the factory custom minispool (15 meters) Redwinch, which you will never be able to repair in the US? Check. You'll have to stop 300 yards from a traffic light to see it if your're 6'4"? Check. (To be fair, that may have been one of the finer qualities they decided to carry over from a Defender). Inability to put larger tires on and have anything akin to a useful turning radius due to the proximity of the frame and arms? Check.

Overhead console is cool but is definitely a pain, the only saving grace being, It's not a standard transmission so you won't need that right arm as it searches for switches above and behind your sight line. Speaking of the tranny, there's not enough engine braking or low gearing for steep descents. it scoots downhill in 4low. It really does remind me of the G320 in that regard.

Actual seating was fine, but it was a short drive. I rode in both front and back. The sacrifice compared to a D110 being the cargo space seems much smaller. If it had d110 ride height, and d110 ground clearance, it could have been a smidge longer for more d110 like cargo.

After riding in it, I'm still stuck on it being the perfect truck for someone that has the exact questions it answers. But like... who ever said, "I need a shorter winch line on a winch that costs 3x as much."?

Anyway, Right now I want it. I'm sure due in large part because I want to be one of the cool kids in the club parking lot, While discussing the finer attributes of Sir. Radcliff with a cigar and overpriced scotch. And it'll do whatever any other mall cruiser would do with real, actual doors in back. I couldn't see ever buying a new 4 door Defender over this. That would be stupid. I really do see more women than men driving those on the road. A Defender. A Real Estate sales mangers car. It makes me cry. Real men can cry, you know.

Anyone else take it for a drive and have any other critiques?
Took delivery last month. Love it to death. You are missing out.

micahd

Waffling here too. Interested in this thread’s continued reviews.

Winch is a bummer but I always carry extensions and blocks.

Low gearing is a bummer too.

What about support in USA? Hearing horror stories about critical rivian repair parts not being available for weeks. Different animal but still.

Thanks all.

utherjorge

Observer
Waffling here too. Interested in this thread’s continued reviews.

Winch is a bummer but I always carry extensions and blocks.

Low gearing is a bummer too.

What about support in USA? Hearing horror stories about critical rivian repair parts not being available for weeks. Different animal but still.

Thanks all.
you'll note that there ha been zero concrete information regarding service in America.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Can anyone explain the hype behind these? They look cool and seem to be (dare I say) a copy cat of the old Defenders? Are they just the ultimate offroad/overland rig?

zimm

Expedition Leader
Can anyone explain the hype behind these? They look cool and seem to be (dare I say) a copy cat of the old Defenders? Are they just the ultimate offroad/overland rig?
I think the best assement is in the ASPW vid above.

And yes, i say that because its everything I've been saying, and there's no feeling like affirmation.

I will add, I have not cancelled my reservation yet, but I still haven't been told my slot and I'm getting irritated.

Grassland

Still seems like way too much money for way too much compromise and way too little concrete information.

What do some of you do for a living you are buying vehicles at this price point anyway?

Long finance terms?

Hegear

Does anyone know how these are for tall people? Was really excited to order one, but was hoping for a test drive. Had a notification they were going to be coming to slc in may for demo day but didn’t get any other info.

ChasingOurTrunks

Does anyone know how these are for tall people? Was really excited to order one, but was hoping for a test drive. Had a notification they were going to be coming to slc in may for demo day but didn’t get any other info.

As far as sitting in it - no problems for me when I tried the prototype, even with a hat on, and I'm 6'1 (and I mean a proper hat - not a ball cap but my adventure hat which adds a few inches due to it's crown). So, should work a treat for the tall folks among us, easily up to 6'3 and beyond I'd wager.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78