Toyota 'Back to the Future' pickup

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i'll try my best to insert my opinion w/o getting into the argument.

if i had my choice from toyota right now i would want a dbl cab with leaf sprung SFA and D4D diesel.

but i am a very small market, very small indeed.

Aggie

Adventurer
i'll try my best to insert my opinion w/o getting into the argument.

if i had my choice from toyota right now i would want a dbl cab with leaf sprung SFA and D4D diesel.

but i am a very small market, very small indeed.

well as long as we are dreaming i just want them to bring their entire 70 Series to America but I doubt it will happen :(

As for the Supra...all i can say is :drool:

toyota-fths-concept-070612.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i like to dream,,, a 70 series troopy is high on my list but i pretty much have it with my FJ55 so the above mentioned tacoma would really be a treat for me. once i wear down the v-6 a bit i'll prolly build what i want.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think Toyota is seeing this, and knows that they need to come out with something innovative that can pull back in their loyal fanbase. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of risks being taken by Toyota soon. One fan base they know they can control is the 4x4 market and I wouldn't be surprised if they hit there and then go onto bringing a true sports car back to the table...

Re Scion: Last I heard Scion sales had been disappointing and their whole "market it to 20something kids" plan wasn't working out so well.

The current recession has hit all of the automakers hard. GM and Chrysler's retro-muscle cars aren't going to pull them out of their tailspin, the most they might do is delay the inevitable.

Toyota may do something "bold" or "innovative" but I can't see it taking the form of either a SFA truck/SUV or a FJ40-type vehicle.

In both cases, you'd get lots of people saying "what a cool idea!" but very few actually buying.

Look at the FJC for an example of this. A bold styling move that, last I heard, had been a sales flop.

winkosmosis

Explorer
I didn't read all the posts about the marketing of a SFA truck.... but I think you guys are forgetting the FJ Cruiser, Toyota's wild retro styled Wrangler challenger. It's niche offroad vehicle. They could have easily made it SFA. The people buying it for the image aren't going to care that it rides slightly worse than a 4Runner.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I didn't read all the posts about the marketing of a SFA truck.... but I think you guys are forgetting the FJ Cruiser, Toyota's wild retro styled Wrangler challenger. It's niche offroad vehicle. They could have easily made it SFA. The people buying it for the image aren't going to care that it rides slightly worse than a 4Runner.

Would that be the same FJ Cruiser that's rumored to be on the chopping block after 2010?

Report above is over a year old but a quick Google search didn't turn up anything more current on the same subject.

Aggie

Adventurer
Re Scion: Last I heard Scion sales had been disappointing and their whole "market it to 20something kids" plan wasn't working out so well.

The current recession has hit all of the automakers hard. GM and Chrysler's retro-muscle cars aren't going to pull them out of their tailspin, the most they might do is delay the inevitable.

Toyota may do something "bold" or "innovative" but I can't see it taking the form of either a SFA truck/SUV or a FJ40-type vehicle.

In both cases, you'd get lots of people saying "what a cool idea!" but very few actually buying.

Look at the FJC for an example of this. A bold styling move that, last I heard, had been a sales flop.

Now you are just grasping at straws to try and hold onto your argument, and pulling biased opinions out of your rear. I am not going to take the time to dig up the sales figures of the xB or the FJ Cruiser in it's first 2 years, but I am sure it would shock you (even though you wouldn't admit it). :coffee:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Now you are just grasping at straws to try and hold onto your argument, and pulling biased opinions out of your rear. I am not going to take the time to dig up the sales figures of the xB or the FJ Cruiser in it's first 2 years, but I am sure it would shock you (even though you wouldn't admit it). :coffee:

As I said, the stuff I heard about the FJC being axed were rumors. But if they're true then it's the exception that proves the rule, isn't it? Toyota takes a rare chance with a bold design, and the customers stay away in droves.

I know a lot of you guys are trying hard to convince yourselves that if Toyota just brought over a 70 series, or an SFA truck, or a modern version of the FJ40, they'd sell a million of them.

But I have to believe that the people who work for Toyota are smarter than all of us put together, at least as it relates to marketing vehicles, and if there was a way to make money off of such a venture, they'd be all over it.

That they're not means that they don't believe they can make money with such ideas.

Toyota may bring over a modern small diesel, but I'll bet they're not the first ones to do it. They'll let someone else be the guinea pig for the American market (Mahindra?)

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I know a lot of you guys are trying hard to convince yourselves that if Toyota just brought over a 70 series, or an SFA truck, or a modern version of the FJ40, they'd sell a million of them.

I think that you're right in that if Toyota mass marketed the 70-series over here, it would ultimately be a failure. BUT - I would bet you a buffalo nickel that if every Toyota Dealership in the country had 2 70-series cruisers on the lot, they would completely sell out nation wide.

And to settle the discussion on which axle they used on the concept truck:

The project team responsible for building the BTTF truck cribbed the front axle from a 1990-97 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80, along with much of the rest of the front running gear plus the rear axle (though it uses leaf springs, not the FJ80's multilink setup). This widened its track a bit too.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...k-toyota-should-bring-back-to-the-future.html

Aggie

Adventurer
As I said, the stuff I heard about the FJC being axed were rumors. But if they're true then it's the exception that proves the rule, isn't it? Toyota takes a rare chance with a bold design, and the customers stay away in droves.

But I have to believe that the people who work for Toyota are smarter than all of us put together, at least as it relates to marketing vehicles, and if there was a way to make money off of such a venture, they'd be all over it.

That they're not means that they don't believe they can make money with such ideas.

Toyota may bring over a modern small diesel, but I'll bet they're not the first ones to do it. They'll let someone else be the guinea pig for the American market (Mahindra?)

I think YOU missed the point EVERYONE was making in the thread. No one once said they would sell a million of anything. The point being made was there IS a market for these things.

Look at the sales of the 100 Series Land Cruiser since '98 when it was introduced. I recalled maybe 1 at each dealership when we would visit. In your terms it wasn't a worthwhile vehicle to produce because it simply did not sell in a mass quantity, BUT there was a market for them and they did sell continually. That is the point of the populace in this thread, an innovative idea that goes back to the roots of a company is the way to sell specialized vehicles. FJ Cruiser's sold around 7,000 a month when they were in full production (you have to ignore the first six months in 06 when they were limited production btw March and I think August or Sept. and during those months they were COMPLETELY sold out getting up to 10K over sticker). That is a successful vehicle no matter how you slice it, a profitable one at that. Sure 3 years later the novelty has worn off and it isn't a practical vehicle lined up against the 4Runner but it is still successful.

Under your mindset the Lexus GX470 shouldn't be on dealer lots, 100 and 200 series Land Cruisers shouldn't be sold and there is no place for a Lexus LS460L AWD, but they are still around due to small markets and they keep the interest up for the brands as a whole.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Okay, maybe there is a market for them, but Toyota isn't going to do it if they only 1,000 units a year. It wouldn't be profitable. Dealers wouldn't order them. Those of you who want a SFA truck would be such a small percentage of Toyota sales that Toyota wouldn't even consider it. That's why we don't have diesel trucks here yet. It's not profitable enough for them to do so. Remember, it's always about the bottom dollar.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
The other thing to consider is that the USA really doesn't need heavy-duty vehicles. Considering that the 70-series lineup is in full swing in Central and South America, and doing very well. Of course, the Hilux is the number one selling pickup in all of those countries, and in Australia, but it also fits the best with everyone's needs I believe.

I agree there should be more competition to the Wrangler. When the FJ Cruiser came out, and I saw the price, it was less than a Wrangler, but offered so much more, so I'm pretty sure that's why they were able to sell. Good price for a vehicle that gave a pretty good setup.

I've been in brand new 79 series pickups in S.A., and with the right suspension (OME), it rode great, even with some 600kg heavy rear leaf springs. Toyota can and does still make it well, but this market just doesn't need that kind of a vehicle, and I think it's purely because Americans like the Dodge/Chevy/Ford design of truck, as compared to the rough and tough Toyota version.

...oh, and the 79 had factory lockers front and rear with factory snorkel.:drool:

tacollie

Glamper
IF toyota made a truck with a SFA that looked cool it would sell. The majority of the market doesn't care if its IFS or SFA. It just needs to drive smooth and look good. I like both IFS and SFAs. IF they came out with a SFA truck or SUV today I would probably buy it. On the same note I would probably go LT on my 4runner before doing a SAC. The weakness that have been shown in the Toyotas is not an IFS weakness, it is a weakness in Toyotas design. I don't think the 70 series would last long in the US. They would probably be a little high priced for what most people would want to spend on something like that. I sure wish they would try though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz