Trailer HAM Radio Base Camp Install

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Well, i had a spare Yaesu 2500m laying around from a buddy so i figured shoot, why not put it to use.

I already have two antennas on the LC so my thought was to use one on the trailer as a basecamp setup when we're not on the road.

Getting out of canyons is my main priority since thats usually where we camp. Shoot if it was flat country the 5.5 gain monster Diamond SG on my bumper can hit 80-100 miles on simplex just fine. This usually isn't the case.

So i researched this pole from a company here locally in SoCal. I asked them if mounting an antenna on it would work and they said it would work just fine. I ended up heading over to HRO and they actually stocked it. So that tells me right there people are using it for this application. What it is, is a fiberglass 4ft telescoping flag pole that can extend up to 22 ft in minutes. Super lightweight and simple. Made for high winds in the desert / beaches.

img9699e.jpg

Comes with a nice carrying case and will fit in the side box on the trailer perfectly.

img9700a.jpg

I mounted the "L" flag bracket to the end.

img9701p.jpg

Along with 25 feet of Coax to get from the trailer to the top of the pole.

There are many different options for mounting the pole. However, i wanted something simple and flexible. So i chose the 2" receiver J pole. This can easily slide into any 2" receiver. So then i can use it on the back of the truck, the back of the trailer.. or the front of the trailer. Also i can use it on another vehicle if need be. HRO had this in stock also.

img9698j.jpg

Here's where it will work for us. When base camped we disconnect the trailer anyhow.. in the rear it will interfere with the drop down gate on the Adventure Trailer. Plus the radio is in the nose box anyhow.
img9716y.jpg

Shot of the radio.. i installed a clip for the mic also. In hindsight, maybe i should of put the clip on the interior section instead so the door may not fly down in the wind and smash the mic cable.. but oh well. That's never happened anyways.

img9719.jpg

I chose to install the radio in the nose box for a few reasons. It seems to be the most sealed out of all the boxes on our trailer. Dust/rain etc. Also, i can monitor the battery levels on the solar controller while im transmitting. Lastly, it was a fast and easy install having the batteries close by, i didn't have to run 20 feet of 10 awg wire or what have you.

If i want later on i can always do a 8800 or a 8900 and have a removable face plate for the kitchen area. That could be an option since i want to be able to use the trailer as a repeater anyhow.

The coax just rolls up and sits in the nose box when not in use. Yes, the nose box locks.
img9712w.jpg

A shot of the antenna mast deployed. It's taller than our office building. Which i was told was 25 feet. The Diamond Super Gainer is on the mount in this shot. This is just for testing. Im waiting for an adapter so i can put my Comet SBB-5 none ground plain antenna on it. It will do much better.
img9722p.jpg

img9724h.jpg

So all in all im not in for that much money. The mast, coax, and bracket. I had the radio and im using a spare antenna. Later i'd like to change the radio out for a cross repeater version.. but for now this will work fine.

This weekend we are heading out to Sheep canyon in Anza Borrego where its really hard to get out to a repeater. This will be the ultimate test and im excited to see how it does. I will report back with my findings of how it performed.

Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Excellent idea, I also was thinking about doing the same thing. But instead of a second radio I would had ran a wire from the truck to a remote mount control head for the FT8900r and do like a plug for the trailer and truck that was waterproof so the radio stayed in the truck. The second control head would be mounted in a side box with velco. Hell I have plenty of radios now in the tundra 6 including the 8900r. Have fun in sheeps might try 147.030- 103.5 tone on palomar mt., if not try Toro peak rangers use that in the canyons. Freq unknown.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah, i didn't do that because i wanted the trailer to have its own radio for when Yosh or someone stays back at camp if a group of us are on a hike or out on a small exploration run. Mainly the second part. We can go goof off and i can check in with her.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
That is a good idea to have a radio on the trailer,good idea to error on the side of safety. I will monitor the 030 machine or the ECRA repeater, Try and give me a shout KI6IGN. Have a safe trip in and out Rich.

bj70_guy

Adventurer

Willman

Holy setup Batman!

Dave.....Cool idea! Another thing for a guy to think about!

Keep up the great work! Interested in how she works!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Good stuff Dave!!

You never cease to impress!...the radio in the nose box is an awesome idea...how far will it go now with the new mast?

Pat

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
ntsqd mentioned a J pole in another thread, that might be a really good option. You could whip one up out of copper tubing easy, even a collapsable version which wouldn't take up much space:

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=15521

I was using a 'break-down' copper J-pole in the SR Swell last week. It was built by a fellow club member, collapses to ~16" in length. It worked remarkable well, I'm using an older Yaesu 2M in a foam line field case I had kicking around. We were easily making 25 mile contacts as members of our group were winding their way into camp :cool:

David, very cool setup. Interested to hear how it works out. I had a guy give me ~30 ft of the collapsible mil surplus mast sections but yours is soooo much easier, faster and cleaner. I might scrap those all together in favor of something like yours. :cool:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Hey Kurt, I saw you pulling your cool trailer into BFE last week - I had hoped to get a better look at your rig, it looks sweet!

Dave, do you have a link to the pole? I want one... :elkgrin:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Great stuff Dave,
I like it a lot. I bet it's going to give you some pretty good results.

Where did you find that thing and do you know the brand?

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Needs this?
yhst-19802326331255_2103_45319

:sombrero:

EDIT: A search isn't turning up that particular pole, but it is turning up a LOT of telescoping flag poles.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Everyone with a handheld, and most folks with a mobile, should also have coil-up J-pole antennas for them. Just in case. They're easy enough to make, made from cheap parts, don't weigh much, don't take up much space (at least on 2 meters and higher freqs), and are way better than the rubber duck antennas on the HT. For mobiles, just having a spare antenna is a good idea - what if you rolled the vehicle and needed to call for help? The truck sitting on the antenna isn't going to do much good.

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=9293

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Thanks Dave,
I have to get out to HRO next week for some other stuff.

Have fun this weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven