"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Suggest for the fenders that you use flat-top jeep style rather than the traditional tear drop style. The flat jeep type are much better for tying stuff down and two extra work surfaces. The new concepts above look really great.

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Suggest for the fenders that you use flat-top jeep style rather than the traditional tear drop style. The flat jeep type are much better for tying stuff down and two extra work surfaces. The new concepts above look really great.

Thanks. So far this is just a proof-of-concept I'm assembling in my workshop to test that the TrailTop parts fit, assemble and work as designed. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to finish off the proof-of-concept into a usable trailer or if I'll stop when I've gone far enough to prove out the TrailTop parts.

But I do have lots of different styles of fenders to play with here...

40sTubFendersAll_zps94782fe9.jpg

Here's a mockup/concept I did a while back with Jeep-style fenders:

TrailTopTeardrop2_zpsafa55d9d.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Same drawing, more doodling while waiting for the gelcoat to cure... this time camo in the woods...

TeardropCamo1_zps099ccb0f.jpg

Digital camo?

TeardropCamoDigital_zps9c718edc.jpg

Or maybe a forest mural?

TeardropWoodsMural_zps25b92528.jpg

klb67

Observer
You may have discovered a new audience for your work in the "Prepper" crowd with your "Trail-Top Invisible Bug Out Trailer" or TI-BOT. Add a fold down Ghillie grass panel to hide the tires and front utility area and you are all set. Or maybe you need to experiment with a 100% mirror finish on all surfaces. It would be a bear to tow though, with folks always running into it...

cjm

Adventurer
I've seen another company utilize there plastic fit together trailer parts to make FEMA type temp. shelters. You could do that with yours also, instead of mounting to a trailer, mounting shelter to a pad built on the ground!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The fiberglass layup on the molds is finished.

SkinAndRibMolds2_zpsea9e940d.jpg

Tomorrow morning I'll pop the molds off the master parts, trim them and they'll be ready to make parts. I plan to mold parts on Thursday.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After I posted those camo-themed teardrop concepts yesterday, someone said the drawings made them want to do a "sawtooth" in "ACU" (army combat uniform) camo. A few weeks back I did few concept drawings for someone who wondered if they could do something similar to the design for the Sawtooth XL, so I did some variations on that; here's one of the TrailTop variants in ACU...

TrailTopACU_zps729e3616.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I really hope a company picks this up and that they keep it affordable.......

Thanks.

Nobody's really defined what "affordable" means yet, I was hoping we could give the two companies that are interested in marketing the TrailTop system some input on that. Oh well. :(

dcollier32

Adventurer
Thanks.

Nobody's really defined what "affordable" means yet, I was hoping we could give the two companies that are interested in marketing the TrailTop system some input on that. Oh well. :(

Affordable to me would be like a couple hundred bucks... :) I was checking the prices for the military tub kit, and was floored by how much the kit was...

dcollier32

Adventurer
After I posted those camo-themed teardrop concepts yesterday, someone said the drawings made them want to do a "sawtooth" in "ACU" (army combat uniform) camo. A few weeks back I did few concept drawings for someone who wondered if they could do something similar to the design for the Sawtooth XL, so I did some variations on that; here's one of the TrailTop variants in ACU...

TrailTopACU_zps729e3616.jpg

I wonder what this would look like in Flat Dark Earth with a roof rack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven