Tran-America Trail: July 2008

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
DaveInDenver said:
Anywhere there's not access by trucks with plows is still pretty snow covered.
I was in Aspen yesterday and surprised by how much snow is still covering the upper elevations. Looks like it'll be awhile before it's all gone. Regardless, any route through CO right now will be drop-dead GORGEOUS.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
It might be worth it to PM 'lx450landcruiser' on the board about conditions. I know last couple years he has work for the forest service and maintained Imogene and Black Bear pass. I have heard that in the past they clear the pass at Imogene on the weekend of the 4 of July. Snow has stop and rerouted other groups over the years.

Have a safe ride

TxRubiRig

ccm00tacoma said:
Man, this would be amazing to do in my tacoma! Any ideas as to if the "non-4x4" sections of the trail can be bypassed? Seems like a good "first expedition" for me and the wife. I'm excited to see the progress of this trip!:wings:

-Adam

Forgive me of my ignorance, but I too am interested in knowing if there are any such routes for 4x4's that travel through the US.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
TxRubiRig said:
Forgive me of my ignorance, but I too am interested in knowing if there are any such routes for 4x4's that travel through the US.

Some of the trans-am is suitable for 4 wheeled vehicles...not sure exactly which parts...

For those who do not know, this isn't a singular trail....it is a route consisting of many different roads and trails, all on public land or on public right of way through private land. It was "established" through a bunch of research (reading maps), followed up by exploring those areas to find a suitable route. It tooks something like 10 or 12 years to work it all out....and has been updated a time or two in order to stay accurate (some trails have been closed, some used to go through private land, etc).

The same could be done with a 4x4. I don't know if the endeavor would be 100% successful (the trans am does have some 80+ mile stretches of pavement through the mid west, where suitable dirt roads/trails could not be found).

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
goodtimes said:
Some of the trans-am is suitable for 4 wheeled vehicles...not sure exactly which parts...

For those who do not know, this isn't a singular trail....it is a route consisting of many different roads and trails, all on public land or on public right of way through private land. It was "established" through a bunch of research (reading maps), followed up by exploring those areas to find a suitable route. It tooks something like 10 or 12 years to work it all out....and has been updated a time or two in order to stay accurate (some trails have been closed, some used to go through private land, etc).

The same could be done with a 4x4. I don't know if the endeavor would be 100% successful (the trans am does have some 80+ mile stretches of pavement through the mid west, where suitable dirt roads/trails could not be found).

thought id say yall might want to extend a bit more east and try hwy 64 through western north carolina to highlands then head to asheville nc

should even hit up charleston SC

just some thoughts hehe

Scott Brady

Founder
Ready to GO!

KTM_950_TAT_Prep.jpg

We are about half-way to Denver, where we will drop the JK off at EarthRoamer for the conversion.

Then, on Saturday we have the meet-and-greet at EarthRoamer and will leave around 3:00 to make Trinidad and the start of the trail.

I have also started the live tracking on the SPOT.

SPOT TRACKING OF THE TAT ADVENTURE

I am also going to be updating the Overland Journal blog a few times through the trek.

Brian and I are looking forward to 3,000+ miles of dirt!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
:bike_rider: :punk03: :bike_rider:

ROCK ON boys. Time for sore muscles, black coffee, and reconstituted meals. Yea!

pangaea

Adventurer
Trans-America Trail Underway

I made it out to the Trans-America Trail kick off at EarthRoamer today, and it was a great time. Personally, I've never had a chance to crawl around either of the EarthRoamer vehicles in person before, and I've got to say I was very impressed with both trucks. I'm hoping it wasn't a more expensive trip than I hoped- my wife saw an XV-LT for the first time, and now she's envisioning it as our new expedition rig.

Scott and Brian's bikes are both well kitted out, and it looks like they're going to have a great time on the expedition.

They took off from Denver about 3 this afternoon and now are on the trail. should be camping out somewhere in southern Colorado. A few shots from the event, and they're departure. Sorry no pics of the assembly area of EarthRoamer. Photography inside was a strict no-no.

KTMOJ.jpg

LogoCase.jpg

Interview.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal