TrekboxX Drawer System Group Buy!!!

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Well, the system would function exactly the same, and look pretty much the same. In an attempt to lighten the design for the Jeep system I've been working on, I worked through quite a few design challenges. The end result is a system that has the following pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Lighter. For the 100 series a ball park guess is 50lbs lighter.
2. More lateral space gained in the drawers due to a re-designed center section and fridge slide.
3. Very little assembly required at the customers end.
4. New very cool custom handle/drawer lock release makes opening and unlocking the slide a one-motion affair.
5. Saves on Line-X cost due to the system being assembled prior to coating. This also removes any varying tolerances that can (potentially) cause fitment issues.

Cons:
1. Lighter. Lighter almost always means "less robust". I hate to use that term, but it's true. Now, the current system is probably way overbuilt (which I personally love), so there was definitely some wiggle room. I think I did a good job with the new systems saving weight while not sacrificing the robustness. I'm going to beat the snot out of the Jeep system and find out for sure...
2. Cost. A re-design is not free, and with this being a niche market it's hard to recover those costs, especially with the fact that the existing system is very well received by all of my customers so far.
3. Cost of assembly. If the customer is not assembling it, that means we are. Labor isn't free.
4. Shipping. They will have to ship freight, which adds a while new dimension with regard to logistics and end cost to the customer.

Having said all of that, I personally have the current setup in my truck. If I do a re-design, I'll probably have to put the new system in for obvious reasons. But if I didn't have to, I would see no need to make the switch, personally. My 100 series does not notice 50 lbs. She's a fatty anyways.

Thoughts?

tribeof5

Adventurer
What are the potential cost increases that you anticipate with the changes? Are those going to be justified by the consumer for the weight savings? What is the lead time on the new system, and will it mean a shutdown on the current model production?

I don't have your storage system YET, but it is the first modification we want to do to our newly acquired Landcruiser 100. I'm sure the product will continue to be a success no matter which way you choose to proceed.

Jeremey

TrekboxX

What are the potential cost increases that you anticipate with the changes? Are those going to be justified by the consumer for the weight savings? What is the lead time on the new system, and will it mean a shutdown on the current model production?

I don't have your storage system YET, but it is the first modification we want to do to our newly acquired Landcruiser 100. I'm sure the product will continue to be a success no matter which way you choose to proceed.

Jeremey

Well, I'm not sure yet, to be honest. I don't know if the new system will cost more or not. I'm also not sure I will redesign it at all. The redesign for the 100 series would really just address some manufacturing challenges that don't really affect the customer, and keep the product line consistent. I'm not convinced it's necessarily an overall improvement, just a bit different. As I said, the function would be identical. It will cost more in some areas and save costs in others, maybe a wash.

If I do a redesign it will be somewhere down the road. I have to focus my efforts on more popular vehicles to keep the business alive. The 100 series market is pretty small. It'll never really be a money maker. I make them more because I like the vehicle and the community, and it's fun. I could make more money just working overtime at my regular job. If you are interested in a 100 series system I wouldn't wait. Version 2 may never happen and I'm sure if you had version 1 and saw version 2, you wouldn't be envious, and vice versa.

David

r3run33

Adventurer
hello I have been drooling over your set up for some time but just been busy with work stuff etc and needed engine maintenance etc which took time and founds away from interior stuff.

Question if purchasing the set up with the slide out counter and fridge; is there a cover of some type of cover board that can be put on top of that section when NOT using the fridge? so that it will be flush with the other side drawer?

Adventurous

Explorer
Any plans to do something for the mid-size truck market? I know the Tacoma world is severely lacking a quality drawer system like this.

TrekboxX

Any plans to do something for the mid-size truck market? I know the Tacoma world is severely lacking a quality drawer system like this.

I'd love to. I'm just trying to focus on the current projects, but yes. The Tacoma would be a great rig, and would be fairly easy to pattern I should think.

CuStOm

Adventurer
When is your 5th Gen 4Runner stuff going to be ready? I see it's "under development" on your website.

Excellent Job on your product.
Thank you.

Happykamper

Explorer
Get this for my JKU and I will sell my AT Overland setup that I love and Rock these bad boys . Let me know when please.
By the way folks should look at your fridge prices on your arbs VERY REASONABLE, Finally a vendor that does not have to sell everything at retail .
Hope you do well.

TrekboxX

When is your 5th Gen 4Runner stuff going to be ready? I see it's "under development" on your website.

Excellent Job on your product.
Thank you.
It's on the list! Not sure yet on timing, but beginning of 2016 I'd guess if all goes well.

Get this for my JKU and I will sell my AT Overland setup that I love and Rock these bad boys . Let me know when please.
By the way folks should look at your fridge prices on your arbs VERY REASONABLE, Finally a vendor that does not have to sell everything at retail .
Hope you do well.

JKU systems are almost ready. Only weeks away. Bravo System is done. I'm making an Alpha System to triple check tolerances and get some photos.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/131124-TrekboxX-drawer-system-for-JK-idea-thread

Better put your system in the classifieds! :)

youngdogs

Wow, what a beautiful system! I understand the market would be small for the FJ55, but I'm not that geography far from you (other side of Folsom Lake) and am offering my Pig as a donor vehicle. I would be also be willing to help out after my boards at the end of the month.

RobRed

Explorer
I would suspect that the two drawer Bravo (LC100) system might be adaptable to an FJ55... The mounting would be different. That system is 12" high x 42 1/2" wide x 39" deep (base).

I'm pretty sure David wouldn't start a run of FJ55 Production systems :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chubbytaco