Truck Fridge sale. Prices only visible in checkout.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Update
The TF-51s arrived at Truck Fridge last night (03/14/13), so they are back in stock.
I have to say that Truck Fridge's customer service has been outstanding + +.
Terry has followed up personally with my back order and has let me know it's status the whole time.
It is nice to know that some companies such as Truck Fridge still believe in taking care of the customer first.
Mine should be here in 4 days, so I'll post a review when it arrives.

htek

Observer
Update
The TF-51s arrived at Truck Fridge last night (03/14/13), so they are back in stock.

I ordered one last night only to receive word that the current stock is all spoken for. So backordered again... They are expecting the next shipment in early May.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I'm considering an EdgeStar. Found a 63 qt for $419, free shipping.

To run the fridge I have a goalzero 350 charger with 30 watt panel. Will that be sufficient or should I get another panel to be safe?

Good deal? Enough power to run it?

I Welcome your feedback!

khronus79

Adventurer

To run the fridge I have a goalzero 350 charger with 30 watt panel. Will that be sufficient or should I get another panel to be safe?

I Welcome your feedback!

New or used???? if new, where?????

jonyjoe101

Adventurer

I Welcome your feedback!

inadequate especially if you get any cloudy days. I have the 43 quart edgestar. I have been running it nonstop 24/7 off of solar power since I got it about a month ago. It's hooked up to a 75 amp hour 12 volt agm battery, that is connected to a 120 watt kycora solar panel (rated 7.45 amp) on the roof of my RV.
My edgestar set at 39 degrees consumes 23 amps of electricity during 24 hours of use. If I set it at 37 degrees it consumes 27 amps of electricity during 24 hours. This I measure with an inline dc wattmeter which is fairly accurate. inside temperature in RV was between 45 and 90 f throughout the day.
The most amp charging I get from the solar panel varies between 3 to 6.5 amps/hour during sunlight hours, this is with an mppt charge controller. About 30/35 amp hours a day total on a good sunny day. Subtract the 23 amp hours and it doesnt leave much to run other things.
I was originally hoping to use the fridge as a freezer and I attempted it but even when I set it to 20 degrees it drain my battery to 11.5 volts after 2 days with the solar panel unable to keep up with it. At 11.5 the yellow light on fridge starts blinking and the fridge will reset to 40 degrees. It took a week to recharge battery back up to 12.5 volts but fridge ran fine set at 39 degrees and keeps my gallon of milk fresh at that temperature.
I already got a larger 240 watt solar panel I just need to install it. I prefer to run the fridge and also power my 17 inch laptop at the same time. The 120 watt solar panel just barely does the job. For me its all off-grid, no gas generators or plugging into wall.
I wouldnt even attempt doing it on a 30 watt panel (rated about 1.75 amp) which might max out at 1.3 amps in full sunlight. Which might get you 11 amps total in a day. 2 X 30 watt panels might get you 22 amps in a day. If the solar panels will just be auxillary charging it might work as long as you have some other source to charge the battery.
The 350 charger might have a 35 amp hour battery (from the weight of the unit) that can at most power the fridge for 24 hours before recharging.
That is from my own use, others may have different results using different size solar panels and batteries.

htek

Observer
Anyone received one from the March shipment? Thoughts/feedback in addition to what's already been posted?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
They were "out of box," maybe reconditioned? But now, not available. I found on http://www.openboxdirect.com/

I have to say "what a great link" to openboxdirect, Thanks ! :wings:

I just got a Koldfront 43 quart freezer/refrigerator (Compressor-based) for only $266.40 (new-scratched or dented) with free shipping.
Certainly not the same quality as TruckFridge's indelB, but that is a killer price for a compressor based unit (power spec is 65 W / 0.75-4.5 A), temp is -8 to 50.
These were sold out within 15 minutes of me seeing the web page this morning, but you should be able to use this link to sign-up for an email notification if they become available again http://www.openboxdirect.com/Koldfront-43-Quart-12V-DC-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-Black/KF430SD,default,pd.html#
BTW (disclaimer - no relation to openbox, other then a happy customer)
I'm going to use the Koldfront as a freezer and the indelB as my fridge.

So it worth keeping an eye on openboxdirect.com in my opinion
A link for the specs in case the good-deal link goes away (not for a 'great price') http://www.compactappliance.com/Koldfront-43-Quart-12V-DC-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-Black/KF430,default,pd.html?mtcpromotion=PLA%3EOutdoor_Living%3ETravel_Coolers%3EPortable_Coolers%3EKF430&src=SHOPPING&gclid=CJX2x_62tLYCFUTZQgodsncAWw
Openbox is Compact Appliance's website for selling their open or scratched/dented items

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^

Looks like a painted-black Edgestar with a manual dial in place of the digital controller and missing the large basket inside.
Edgestars are great units if you can look past the cheap plastic handles/hinges and 12VDC cord (search through the Edgestar threads here for some good fixes people have come up with).

Very first thing I'd do is paint that baby bright white to help it reflect rather than absorb radiant heat from it's surroundings.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Just a heads up . . Opened box EdgeStar Portable Fridge / Freezer - 43 Qt FP430OB are at OpenboxDirect for $399.99 with free shipping (only 5 left. . . these go quick)
Here:http://www.openboxdirect.com/FP430OB-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430OB,default,pd.html?cgid=Outdoor_Appliances

I'm very happy with my Koolfront I got from them, very fast & free shipping. (Koolfront is an Edgestar with a manual temp control instead of the Edgestar's digital control, and only one interior basket as 4x4junkie pointed out above)

BTW (disclaimer - no relation to openboxdirect, other then a happy customer)

stioc

Expedition Leader
That openboxdirect site's software looks VERY similar to the Compact Appliances' - I wonder if they're the same company behind the scenes.

I'm on the prowl for a fridge, I can't decide between the ARB 37qt or the Edgestar 43qt - the former is about $200 more but it looks much better than the Edgestar, I hear has a 3yr vs. 1yr warranty and better customer service (based on personal experience with ARB in general). The Edgestar on the other hand is slightly bigger and cheaper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat