Truck Fridge sale. Prices only visible in checkout.

stioc

Expedition Leader
oops, I guess I didn't go back to the previous pages. It was more a passing observation when I clicked on the link. Thanks

htek

Observer
I'm on the prowl for a fridge, I can't decide between the ARB 37qt or the Edgestar 43qt - the former is about $200 more but it looks much better than the Edgestar, I hear has a 3yr vs. 1yr warranty and better customer service (based on personal experience with ARB in general). The Edgestar on the other hand is slightly bigger and cheaper.

Or split the difference and buy the Indel B TB51 for which this thread was started? About $100 more than the edge star (after shipping) and $100 or more less than the ARB.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

stioc

Expedition Leader
Those with the TF41 are you guys happy with the size? We're 2 adults and 1 kid, out for 2-4 days at a time and get by ok with a 40qt ice chest. What exactly is the TF41 size in quarts?

shfd739

Observer
Those with the TF41 are you guys happy with the size? We're 2 adults and 1 kid, out for 2-4 days at a time and get by ok with a 40qt ice chest. What exactly is the TF41 size in quarts?

just a touch over 43qts.

If you fit fine with a 40qt cooler then you should be okay with the TF41. you won't lose space for ice so you'll have a little more usable room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stioc

Expedition Leader
^ thanks!

OK guys I need help making the decision, I'm about to place the order for the TF41. The contenders for me are the:

1. 37qt ARB (looks sexy, 3yr warranty, but $$, longer at 27") - $715
2. Edgestar 43qt (doesn't look that nice, boxy (takes up more room), 1yr warranty, but cheap, good size for us and good reviews) - $470
3. TF41 (looks in between the above two, I like the dimensions on paper (slim), looks to be better quality than the edgestar and lightest of the three? but 1yr warranty) - $550

I was leaning towards the ARB but was having a hard time justifying the extra cost, the Edgestar was simply an economics based decision and now the TF41 seems to be something in-between.

shfd739

Observer
My 2 cents.

If it was me I'd go for the truck fridge one. ARBs are $$$ and the Truck Fridge looks like a few others on the market and all the specs match. I've read good reviews of the others.

Indel B or a TF51 was going to be my purchase but I came across a used 60l Norcold for stupid cheap.

shfd739

Observer
Just placed the order for a TF41- $544 out the door :wings:

Id like to see what you think of it after a few uses.

I love our 60l Norcold..but it's huge and is slight overkill for only 2 people. And it really only fits our Land Cruiser so we are stuck always taking the cruiser on trips.

I'd like one thats smaller and will fit our CX7 better for when we take it when no offroading is being done. I can also use the smaller one on the boat and on solo trips.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Will do! I prefer smaller and lighter gear, may be it's my minimalist personality but I've had to 'right-size' several things in the past. It did us no good when they had to sit in the garage when we were packed for a multi-day trip. Also, keep in mind that with a fridge you can restock it at will, for e.g. you can bring 10 bottles of Gatorade but only put 3 to start with, then when they've been consumed you can put another 3 and in an hr you'll have cold bottles- unlike an ice chest where restocking will melt the ice fairly quickly.

I just got an email from them that the order is shipping today, on the invoice it listed it as 45qt! That should be more than enough for us.

stioc

Expedition Leader
My fridge finally arrived :wings:

Here's a cut-n-paste from my build thread:

I'll admit right now that I never thought I'd buy a fridge, my ice chest worked just fine and I wasn't about to waste that kinda cash on a luxury like that. Afterall what's the point of camping if you're going to bring your whole kitchen sink and the big screen TV with you...like those motor homes. However, all that changed after a couple of trips with the guys who had them. While we were breaking out the Mountain House dehydrated food by the second day into our trip they were enjoying milk, steaks and burgers on the 4th and 5th day. While I still don't think having a fridge is a necessity at all it just makes things convenient and thus a trip more enjoyable- especially for the better halves and kids. A decent bathroom, sleeping and eating arrangement goes a long way making a trip fun for the family. They don't often understand the 8+hr driving just to get to the dirt road and then inhaling dust for another 4-5 days.

Anyway, so the decision had been made that I was going to buy a fridge at some point in the near future, I just didn't expect it to be this quick. I've always been a fan of the ARB products and their refrigerators were no different. They just look sexy compared to the others. However, they're also pretty spendy. The other popular option with the guys here is Edgestar, it's about half the cost of the ARB and has the same nice/standard Dan Foss compressor. This was going to be my pick too but I just couldn't get over the boxy meat freezer look...still I was going to get it, it was the best bang for the buck option. Over the past couple of weeks leading up to the purchase I would put the ARB in the shopping cart on one site then go back and put the Edgestar into another. I kept trying to figure out if this 'one time' splurge was justifiable...$800 vs. $400. Is the ARB really twice as good a fridge than the Edgestar? I just couldn't make up my mind. By coincidence I came across another fridge that initially looked somewhere in between the ARB and the Edgestar, even price wise. After looking more into it I knew it was the perfect fridge for me. It was the right size both in terms of the inside capacity (same as the Edgestar 43qt, the ARB was either 37qt or 50qt) and yet it was slim like the ARB so it wouldn't take up as much room in the back. The footprint sounded great for my truck - it was also the lightest. The looks were pretty decent too and the features were identical to the ARB (digital thermostat, 3 position low battery cut-off, inside light etc). The fridge is rebadged and sold under multiple names including Ironman from what I've read- the one I got is called IndelB. It was tested by Equipt1 and it did really well (even beating out the ARB): http://www.equipt1.com/companies/indel-b/. However, unlike the ARB's 3yr this one only comes with a 1yr warranty.

Next to the Coleman PowerChill 40qt thermoelectric cooler:
6A0B688D-A4EE-4C20-A997-85AA5B59BFED-26196-00000F692F0E8740_zps406c0d04.jpg

Inside- cool blue light:
7111F722-590B-4054-8978-6EADFE55BEDF-26196-00000F6923AC3E64_zps412c926f.jpg

Within 10mins on MAX cool setting it went from about 70F to 57 (thermostat test setting) and then shut off:
60640C71-D695-4355-8CA1-7419E7BA1928-26196-00000F6914F6437D_zps3e82ad6a.jpg

So far I love it, only time will tell how it does over the long term.

stioc

Expedition Leader
BTW, they say you can use both 110 and 12v simultaneously and the fridge will use either (110 first). However, the way the plugs designed they clash and you can't plug them both in. Unless they mounted the sockets backwards.

Also, there aren't really good operating instructions for it in the thick manual- it's thick because of the 10+ languages.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looks like I'm talking to myself here but thought I'd post the slide-out I built today. It was a pretty quick-n-dirty design- designed in my head while walking up and down the hardware isle at Home Depot :)

I still need to run some sort of a cam/buckle strap from the handle down then underneath and back to the other handle to secure it to the slide-out mount.

F735E85C-A598-4015-B9D4-19D189A808B0-3616-00000184DCE9086F_zps4dfa139f.jpg

57FE30A2-9FC2-4272-9911-0BF14C4416BD-3616-00000184F7A9F502_zps12de3494.jpg

FE7EC4A8-EDED-462E-A7D8-F7C6475C82C7-3616-0000018593A69C86_zpsb1c0b45c.jpg

3F8DF5A8-B271-45DE-B9AE-1EC6F20EB741-3616-0000018512436580_zps59adae29.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looks like I'm talking to myself here but thought I'd post the slide-out I built today.

Nope... I'm listening. lol VERY interested in a fridge before too long. I want to pick an Edgestar, or possibly one of these before the end of summer for a trip I am planning. Needs me some cold beers and foods on said trip. Glad to hear good things about these. Nice slider setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat