Trump's 03 Tacoma

Captain K-man

Adventurer
Wow, you're bringing back some old memories of when I wired up all the emergency lights, scene lights, a few 2 way radios and a bunch of electronic things in my counties dive rescue vehicle. I was working for the fire department at the time. It was fun, but mostly what I remember is what a PITA it was because of all the pranks being done to me by the guys.

4RunAmok

Explorer
Wow, you're bringing back some old memories of when I wired up all the emergency lights, scene lights, a few 2 way radios and a bunch of electronic things

Funny you should mention that! lol........

I'm helping Trump with this project, by making suggestions and expanding his OCD when it comes to wiring, and that's what I do for a living; upfitting Fire/Police/Utility vehicles!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Well then he's in good hands.

That remains to be seen...

popcorn2.gif

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Spy photos of Trumps Interior Build

While they were busy distracting us with pictures of wires and circuit breakers, I scored these spy photos of the inspiration for Trumps interior build, full story HERE

camper203.jpg

camper204.jpg

;)

trump

Adventurist
The rewiring project that has been stalling the interior build and moving like molasses is finally finishing up. I will be happy to have this in my rear-view. As of last night everything was powered back up for the first time in weeks.

2012-08-12210522.jpg

2012-08-12210545.jpg

*Warning Technical talk ahead*

The two group 35 Diehard Platinum's are now isolated by a Perfect Switch Powergate. Cooper Bussmann thermal circuit breakers (100A/ea) protect three on-board Blue Sea Systems fuse blocks (Underhood, Cab, and Flip-Pac.) They, in turn, distribute power to all the trucks accessories. In addition to the three circuit breakers that are visible, a fourth is mounted under the panel (150A) for protecting the system from the alternator. The alternator wire no longer runs directly into the factory fuse/relay box. Instead it shares a positive connection with the anode (aux battery) side of the Powergate. It's all pretty difficult to explain, so I will post a schematic later when I get a chance to draw it all out.

Only a couple things left to finish before I can call the job complete. I need run a shielded twisted pair back to the flip-Pac from the shunt for the Xantrex LinkPro battery monitor. It will keep an accurate count of how much juice I have in either battery, and even how much time I can sit loiter around before the house battery is dead. The panel is hinged to the fender-side so that it can swing upward to make it easier to access the factory fuse box. I still need to build the two legs that will help support and anchor the inboard side of it.

This project has taken a lot of time (me dragging my feet) and money, but meets or exceeds my expectations. I vowed to do this job once and do it right and I think I accomplished that. Not forgotten is the help I received from Robert, Mitch, and Matt. Sometimes this help extended all the way into the early morning hours, so I'd be able to get to work the next day. Thanks for all the help, guys... even when that just meant moral support. It had all of us wishing I had a different daily driver; however, that is finally in the works.

More to follow...

I like!

starting on my dual battery set-up and found the powergate isolators look like the way to go and I was also looking at the Xantrex Linkpro!

My challenge is I like the quality parts but still need to learn more about the details..... like......

I am wondering if you can explain a bit about all the thermal breakers..... can't wait for the schematic!

If you are open to more questions I know I will have them.

David

Glenn C

Observer
Awesome truck man ,really loving tacomas now and since we dont get them here rigs like yours are eve more awesome looking forward to more please :drool:

4RunAmok

Explorer
My challenge is I like the quality parts but still need to learn more about the details..... like......

I am wondering if you can explain a bit about all the thermal breakers.....

The circuit breakers are the resettable fuses that protect the system from overload and short.

Mark has three Blue Sea Fuse blocks that you must protect; One you can see on the panel for underhood and bumper mounted electrical devices, the second is inside the passenger compartment for things like stereo, ham radio, CB, etc... The last is in the bed which will provide power to the electrical devices that will live in the back like the fridge, flippack lights, etc...

You always want to protect a circuit at the source (batteries) and at the distribution (individual fuses) to the devices. Your breakers or battery side fuses should be large enough to handle the load you're going to attach at the distribution side, in this case, Blue Sea only rates their fuse blocks at 100 amps, so 100 amp breakers were chosen to sit under the hood.

Making sense?

trump

Adventurist
I am wondering if you can explain a bit about all the thermal breakers..... can't wait for the schematic!

If you are open to more questions I know I will have them.

David

Thanks!

It looks like Mitch answered the reason for the breakers for you. I decided to use them instead of a fuse to keep things convenient. They're really easy to open and cut power while doing electrical work, rather than disconnecting the battery, I can cut power to just the source I'm working on. A much smaller reason, but also a consideration... 100A fuses are relatively bulky as a spare considering what they are. These are easy to simply reset (after fixing any short of course.)
Feel free to ask if you've got other questions. I'm by no means an expert, but also haven't set anything on fire... yet.:coffeedrink:

Awesome truck man ,really loving tacomas now and since we dont get them here rigs like yours are eve more awesome looking forward to more please

Wow... all the way from Ireland! Thanks for the compliment. Tacoma guys generally feel the same about the Hilux you can buy on your side of the pond :). Stay tuned while we switch gears and finally build an interior in the Flip-Pac.

Making sense?

You lost me...

...Just kidding. Thanks for typing that out for me. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3