Tube crawler style buggy and Rtt thoughts.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ya ls hooked to a th 400 magnum box 60/14 4 88 gears and a 39" say maxxis tire would not be to bad.

I have also thought of using a jana 54 http://www.jantz4x4.com/jantzPrint.php?pro=jana_54

my dad is good friends with Carl

This would allow more clearance out of a smaller package and I could go to a 37 save weight

37s can be a good compromise in size/weight. D44 based axles have come a long ways, but the weak link is still the axle joint. You can do something like RCV's or CTM joints or whatever, but its still a 297/760 joint. For some combinations its just fine, for others its marginal. It depends a lot on final vehicle weight in my opinion. With at V8 I would rate it marginal....v6 and smaller pretty good.

So many options.

98dango

Expedition Leader
60 are just so heavy and bulky in know there the standard these days I just want to think about every option. I also don't what to get 50k wrapped up in this.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
60 are just so heavy and bulky in know there the standard these days I just want to think about every option. I also don't what to get 50k wrapped up in this.

Yup, cost is going to add up FAST.

Dana 60 stuff is definitely bigger. I would try and get a realistic expected weight. I commonly see TJ/YJ sized jeeps that are pushing 5-6K fully loaded. I think final vehicle weight is often underestimated or overlooked. I think D44 stuff starts to get marginal at about a 37" tire and 5000lbs. More often than not you see people with smaller axles packing around a TON of spare parts for them. At some point it might be basically the same weight to run the larger axle with less spare parts?

On my buggy thing I am going to be running 40-42" tires ( more likely 42s ). At that point D44 stuff probably isn't a wise choice with that much tires and a V8. I have seen the newer JK D44 based axles with the larger 1350ish sized axle joint run pretty successfully with 39-40" tires in portly vehicles. That would be with upgraded housings for the most part. For me, I wanted a heavy duty axle but I didn't want to use the 'normal' D60/14bolt stuff. That stuff is getting harder and more expensive to find. The solution I have settled upon is using 03-09 dodge AAM axles, the 9.25" front and probably a 10.5 gas truck rear axle ( the 11.5 is just overkill in my opinion for what I have in mind ). The aam/dodge stuff is getting pretty dang inexpensive in the wrecking yards now. I designed the chassis to use the axle full width with high backspacing factory style wheels to get the overall width down to the 80-82" range.

In the end its a compromise in cost vs performance/durability. I would love to build some super bling axles with 300m guts and all the newest wiz bang indestructible rock bouncer stuff, but that isn't in my budget....just like 427 LS crate motors, atlas transfer cases, and billet bomber transmissions aren't.

I tried to focus on the overall design of the chassis while leaving as much room as practical for whatever guts you wanted to fill it with. I think I can build one for less than 20K and I think I could spend $150K+ just depending on the parts used to fill it up.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm realistically seeing the 15-20k price I had 15 in a 4 runner and it still didn't do what I thought it should but also was 5600 pounds on a 4 cylinder. I would love 42s but then there is a 42" spair. I honestly know I could small block a jeep and be 80% to what I want. But it's not what I want.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm realistically seeing the 15-20k price I had 15 in a 4 runner and it still didn't do what I thought it should but also was 5600 pounds on a 4 cylinder. I would love 42s but then there is a 42" spair. I honestly know I could small block a jeep and be 80% to what I want. But it's not what I want.

Who says you HAVE to carry a spare? OBA, tube, plugs, tractor patches, etc.

Most people aren't going to be content with the size of a normal jeep, I get that, specifically in any kind of expo setting of use. For me, I have traveled ALL over the place in my little old flat fender, something the size of a YJ/CJ7/TJ seems HUGE in comparison. At some point the body becomes a bit too big for HARD off road use. Sure, you can wedge it down the trail but destroying the body and driving a raisin all the time can get a bit old.

With a slight compromise in off road capability, I think something about the size of a Jeep Wrangler LJ is pretty good, especially if the rear axle is moved back about 4-5" from stock with about a 38-39" tire. You will have to drive around the body to some degree, and your probably not going to want to do buggy trails in it. I thought long and hard about going that route. The LJ is also JUST big enough that you could sleep inside if you designed it right and didn't pack tons of gear.

In the end I decided to give up some interior room in going with the easier to find YJ/CJ7/TJ length tub panels. It is still a big improvement in size for ME over my flat fender.

It's all a compromise one way or another....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How about one of those new Aqualu stretched FJ40 tubs that fit on an FJ80/FZJ80 chassis? I think that could be a very neat package. I always wanted to take an FJ40 style body and squeeze it at the front of the door opening. That would make the body only about 55" wide.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Here is what my old flat fender looked like all packed up for the UA2014 trip. That was 13 days, 3150+miles, 4-5 days of hard 'wheeling, with two people, and it was a bucket of fun....

98dango

Expedition Leader
Honestly tin is a after thought. I think a jeep ish style is the way to go body wise. A 100-110" wheel base is what I feel it will take and be a good usable size.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Honestly tin is a after thought. I think a jeep ish style is the way to go body wise. A 100-110" wheel base is what I feel it will take and be a good usable size.

Speaking from experience, having an open top is THAT fun for THAT long :) I would plan on using a vehicle that can be enclosed easily with a top, doors, defrost, and wipers. The flip side of that is the more enclosed the vehicle is the more likely damage it is. I think that is the tragic downfall of most full bodied vehicles. Once you squish the sides and windshield frame in, it's really hard to keep everything working. I think that is one major bonus to using something like a Jeep or FJ40ish style body. Most of the stuff that you would hurt is modular and easily replaced.

I would lean more towards a 110" wheelbase with minimal rear overhang, then make the belly as flat and smooth as possible.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I see what your saying and agree. I came to wanting this rig from the lessons learned in my 20 years of driving beat bent rigs.

I love my superduty but it has limitations size weight. It works for 90% of pepole in this part of the sport.

I feel I fall in a 5% where we want the performance of a full class 4 buggy and the comfort of a stock jeep. Now every thing bin life is a compromise.

To keep the size down your going to have to drop some comfort and some capability. Yes I want a roof for safety and I get tired of rain a jeep half top is fin with me.

I have also toyed with the idea of a cj8 or brute fj 45 style and making it more of a flat bed p/u out back.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I see what your saying and agree. I came to wanting this rig from the lessons learned in my 20 years of driving beat bent rigs.

I love my superduty but it has limitations size weight. It works for 90% of pepole in this part of the sport.

I feel I fall in a 5% where we want the performance of a full class 4 buggy and the comfort of a stock jeep. Now every thing bin life is a compromise.

To keep the size down your going to have to drop some comfort and some capability. Yes I want a roof for safety and I get tired of rain a jeep half top is fin with me.

I have also toyed with the idea of a cj8 or brute fj 45 style and making it more of a flat bed p/u out back.

Yup, I am in exactly the same spot pretty much. I tend to push the 'wheeling side of the 'expedition' thing more than most....

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have been members of both to long to give up now.

I just like to push my rig and see more than most.

I feel we are after th e same basic vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal