TundraBirds Go! Picture Thread for Tundras and T-100s

Derek24

Explorer
Looks great Aaron! Let me know how the light reflection is on the hood once everything is all wired up, might not be bad on a black truck though. I got some stuff coming as well that will be very similar to your setup, but not as custom.

rickashay

Explorer
Got the rack up and took it out for a couple quick pics. Still need to pickup another light, get some spacers made to lift the lights up an inch and then wire everything in.

The silver conduit clamps will be replaced with 1" aluminum blocks to lift the lights to the right level. These were used for pictures and the lights were put on and taken off on location. No way would I drive with these. :smiley_drive:
i-NJZMbT9-XL.jpg

Great rack build! I can't say that I've ever seen a rack with the pivoting light mounts. Pretty awesome creation. Thanks for sharing - it's giving me some bad ideas!

dyogim

Explorer
Nice Rack! :Wow1: These are often seen on a lot of the desert racers (Baja and KOH-king of the hammers types of races). I had my lights on my rack but, maybe a couple of inches back. These were Hella 700 spots. I couldn't use them at night because the glare was so bad. I ended up removing them. Keep us posted on how they work for you when it's all wired up.... Here's how mine looked.

PC081844.JPG

sourdough

Adventurer
truck load

My :truck: is a '03 TRD Limited with 5100 Blisteins and Ride-rite air bags and a '10 FWC Hawk Shell (minimalist) pop up camper I just picked up.
Hawk_zps937f7cc4.jpg

uscg2008

Explorer
Got the rack up and took it out for a couple quick pics. Still need to pickup another light, get some spacers made to lift the lights up an inch and then wire everything in.

i-K2W6tnj-XL.jpg

The silver conduit clamps will be replaced with 1" aluminum blocks to lift the lights to the right level. These were used for pictures and the lights were put on and taken off on location. No way would I drive with these. :smiley_drive:
i-NJZMbT9-XL.jpg

i-xNsc2gW-XL.jpg

Such a sweet set up man well done

daveyd

Observer
Recently picked up a new (to me) 2008 Tundrabird 4X4 5.7l, with less than 30K on the odometer.

DSC_2739 Front.jpg

The first thing I did was repaint the whole undercarriage, axles, chassis, wheelwells, calipers, etc from front to back with Rustoleum

repainted chasis.jpg

paint.jpg

fron to back.jpg

drain scrw before n after paint.jpg

Raised it up two and a half inches on front/ three inches higher in the back and put on new shoes, followed by a set of side steps.

IMG_0894.jpg

DSC_2978 wheels.jpg

new shoes 1.jpg

DSC_3003.jpg

Attachments

• 0 new trk.jpg
    0 new trk.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 44

daveyd

Observer
Since then, I have mounted a canopy on the back. Cost of the canopy was $300. However, it actually came off a late model GMC truck, but with a little jigsaw action and some patience, I managed to make it fit.

DSC_1226 shell copy.jpg

It was the style of camper that I really wanted, but isn't available from LEER for these newer Tundras, so I had to make do.

DSC_1230- uncle Henry1.jpg

camper 2.jpg

:smiley_drive:

DSC_2751.jpg

I took out the stock tweeters from the dash and replaced them with a high quality pair of sansui tweets that have much cleaner, crisper highs.

DSC_3063-twe-repl-comp.jpg

DSC_3059.jpg

These JBL Titaniums are going to be mounted in the camper shell with a 3-way crossover, together with a set of Bose speakers.

DSC_3079.jpg

The cabin space of the camper has been heavily modified, which is still a work in progress, equipped with a (350 watt -1500 watt) variable electric space heater, a microwave, a sink, a water-heater, DVD player, 9-Band Graphic Equalizer, 29" superslim LED TV and BOSE speakers.

Last edited:

daveyd

Observer
Here's a couple of pictures of those things mounted in the back. The TV, DVD, EQ and compact BOSE speakers are hung from the ceiling up against the back wall. I used oak pergo for the deck. Same as done in some household kitchens for durability, and water resistance - it works very well here.

IMG_0370.jpg

The sink, which doubles as a water heater, (pour water in it, fire up the gen set and wait a few minutes, it will reach 110 through 140 degrees) is hidden away in the center (right side) above the white access panel.

IMG_0364.jpg

To the left of that panel is the electric space heater which warms the deck from underneath through a series of ducts which are routed to the back double-wall.

Hot air then travels under the pergo and exits out near the tailgate hinge. It's cold here in Washington, so I need the back to be as comfy as possible. Great when traveling through colder climates as well.

Furthest inside on the right (above the aluminum duct) is my black mini microwave.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

On the left storage compartment, I installed the Bose controller, a 12V DC outlet, HDMI input (cellphone to TV), CableTV/antenna input, a 120v 15 amp outlet for power tools or what have you, then some LED's around the outer edge of the storage compartment.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0354444.jpg
I still have some work to do back here. Going to follow up with an update in the near future. Thanks for looking. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
Here's a couple of pictures of those things mounted in the back. The TV, DVD, EQ and compact BOSE speakers are hung from the ceiling up against the back wall. I used oak pergo for the deck. Same as done in some household kitchens for durability, and water resistance - it works very well here.

View attachment 142220

I still have some work to do back here. Going to follow up with an update in the near future. Thanks for looking. :smiley_drive:

Very nice, clean and simple, great job!!!! Inspiration to get my rig done.

Falkon

Adventurer
Nice work daveyd! I am not a big fan of the 2nd Gen Tundras, but that lift/wheel/camper combo work very well together.

So, what are your plans with it?

daveyd

Observer
Thanks guys!

Falkon, I plan on traveling through all of the continental united states and parts of Canada while taking pictures of local landmarks without having to pull a small trailer. That's my main objective, the reason for setting the back up the way it is.

@dyogm - good luck with your build sir. Post pics for us to assist you, perhaps in design and configuration. Take your time - it will turn out good. :smiley_drive:

motochain

Wanderer
Motochain how do you like your bumper?

LOVE IT! Let's face it, the double cab tundra isn't a "tight-trail" crawler, so I'm not worried about "approach" angle. I wanted a stout bumper for a winch and to protect the front of the truck.

It does an awesome job! It's also nice when I'm working on the engine, I can kneal or stand on the ARB.

SunMan

Adventurer
Well, im back in a tundra-finally. I had purchased a new one in 2006, actually had it built at toyota for me for what i wanted it to have, and then sold it about a year later because where i worked & lived it wouldnt fit in the garages....but sold it to a guy on this board - SunMan - who i think still has it. Well it was one of those trucks i always regretted selling, and I recently sold my 01 tacoma, 2000 4runner & have been searching for the cleanest 06 i could find since. A retired fireman had just traded in his 06 Tundra Dbl cab 4x4 trd in to buy his daughters a couple of hondas for their graduation presents. He dropped it off, the dealer had posted on autotrader an ad, but without pics or any info, so next morning went and saw it...all original paint, 70k miles, mint, absolutly no rust, clean clean clean 1 owner, I was soo thrilled after looking, actually hunting for it, i offered the dealer $1k over what they paid the guy for it as a trade in & they didnt have to touch it...they took the bait & 1hr later it was mine. Only plans as of now are some coilovers & 285's BFG's, maybe a light bar.

Still have it Jman...couldn't respond to your email, check your PM's...

IMG_6894.JPG

Calebm

This is the best setup on this entire thread hands down! If you ever want to part with it, I may be interested. Nice job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh