UAV-TD (Urban Assualt Vehicle - tear drop) build

silvrzuki77

explorer
Really shrinks and twist? Well at least its easy to remove if it does. Just tryin to keep a simple clean look. Hopefully between the polyurethane and dry weather here it wont be bad?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Alright what do you guys think about the interior lid?

I think it looks pretty good, but it might be pretty heavy no? Honestly if it is not an issue, I say simple and looks good, go for it. If you need them I have a pair of 250# lift springs available cheap! lol

silvrzuki77

explorer
Actually its really not as heavy as it looks. Maybe 80-100lbs max?? I would really like to have a one piece cover but that is next to impossible here in vegas gettin a 5x5 sheet of anything soo kindnof poked.

Im thinking im going to go with these
anevehy4.jpg

From vintage technology. Super simple. Being the lid isnt really heavy. Attach a piece of webbing between the two and a pull piece come right down when closing.

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Are there any RV manufacturers in the area. I was able to order just the fiberglass sheet from Eclipse. Very flexible and strong. I ruined mine as I tried to put it on with hatch on.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That hatch support is pretty slick. Weight is lower than I would think for a hatch that thick. The again a lot of that is foam.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I can order it for you, not sure what it would cost, give me the width and length. It would save a lot of weight, can be ordered in gray or bright white. My guess is less than 100 bucks, but not sure. It could be shipped in one of those cardboard concrete tube/foundation things. It takes a couple of days to get it though.

Bob

silvrzuki77

explorer
I appreciate that bob, think I will try the wood for now and see how it goes. Maybe eventually if you drive through vegas again or vice versa i can grab it from ya. Hoping tomorrow i will install the hatch.

rocrunr

Adventurer
The problem with it is moisture content. In damp weather it will want to swell and as the heat and sun beat on it , it will want to shrink. Lumber is usually kiln dried to 14% humidity and as long as it stays in that range it will keep its shape. Sealing it from the elements is key. Worst case is you might have to redo it down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77