UAV-TD (Urban Assualt Vehicle - tear drop) build

silvrzuki77

explorer
4u2anega.jpg

Got the hatch all finished. Need to seal it

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looking nice man... had me a BBQ with the kids tonight, beautiful strip loin and a Race Rocks Pale Ale.

Nice!

jim65wagon

Actually its really not as heavy as it looks. Maybe 80-100lbs max?? I would really like to have a one piece cover but that is next to impossible here in vegas gettin a 5x5 sheet of anything soo kindnof poked.

Im thinking im going to go with these
anevehy4.jpg

From vintage technology. Super simple. Being the lid isnt really heavy. Attach a piece of webbing between the two and a pull piece come right down when closing.

Our hatch weighed 60 pounds by itself. When mounted on the trailer by the hinge it requires two 150 lb gas struts to get it to open. It was veeery difficult to open without the struts (and I'm 5'8" 230lbs a little overweight but hey I work out 4 nights a week), I could lift it (not easily) and my wife couldn't open it at all. With the gas struts it's a simple; unlatch and lift the first 2 inches then the struts lift the hatch to full open affair....

I guess what I'm saying is: gas struts lift (or help lift) the hatch, and without that help an average joe will be huffing and puffing every time he wants to open the kitchen....

I'd think twice before using those springs.......

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well hopefully I will have the hatch on tomorrow and see how much a pain a butt it will be to lift. Maybe I will change my mind on the springs :)

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well got the hatch on today. I did not account for the trim :( Then the thick aluminum I used for the roof ended straightening the hatch out. Soo pulled the trim and trimmed the body down. The hatch fit nice and level then. I installed the hatch clasp that are tent trailer style pull clamp. It is pulling the hatch back into shape thank god! Going to let it sit for a couple of days and see how it looks. Re thinkin the gas shocks now lol
3y4y9u4u.jpg

jim65wagon

Well got the hatch on today. I did not account for the trim :( Then the thick aluminum I used for the roof ended straightening the hatch out. Soo pulled the trim and trimmed the body down. The hatch fit nice and level then. I installed the hatch clasp that are tent trailer style pull clamp. It is pulling the hatch back into shape thank god! Going to let it sit for a couple of days and see how it looks. Re thinkin the gas shocks now lol
Feels really heavy now doesn't it? Lol. Looks good on the trailer.

BenB

Aw looks good don't it! I knew when u said figment trouble it was due to trim. That's why I haven't skinned my hatch yet til I have all my trim installed.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looks really good man!! Sux that it needed some tweaking, but at least it is on there now. PM'ed you back.
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77