UAV-TT (off-road tent trailer) build

silvrzuki77

explorer
On the stock axle I can lift the entire tongue really easy. Think I might run the tank length wise with the trailer so it would go a little over the axle center line. I would like to be able after all said and done to still be able to move the tongue around by myself. My teardrop I couldnt.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Moving along!
Ordered my 3500# axle with 6 on 5.5 electric brakes with manual hand brakes. RanPcarriages said I should have in 3 weeks. AL-KO needs to build it to my length of 76" wide. My teardrop was 72" I believe never had a issue really offroad being a little wider. Just got to be a little patience offroad. Good thing the desert is wide open mostly lol

Xodius

Adventurer
Cool.
My FIL just offered me a trail him and I built. It is just a flat top for quads but am thinking of redesigning it so it is multipurpose. Big issue is finding a place to park the bugger. Lol

Xodius

Adventurer
Im lucky i park 2 motorhomes back to back on my rv access.

Sure Rubin in. Lol. We have talked about putting a rv gate in but our association is a bit typical for the valley. Many people just do it because we are allowed to but from time to time they get cranky.

It is either that or park it in garage and put all that stuff on top, quad and some other things for the jeeps. Perhaps I need to just list some of the stuff and get it out.

Our next house won't be in an association.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Lol sorry! Thats what cool about DrHorton, most of our lots are rv access. Bad is its HOA, good though I snagged one of the largest usable lots! Now got to talk the wife into letting me do attached rv garage!

Xodius

Adventurer
Our lot is the...3rd largest and we have plenty of room it is just them being silly. 99% of the stuff they don't notice but you just never know. When I put a pool in we filled out all the paperwork and paid a deposit. Well the pool was done and then they sent someone over saying I needed to fill out paperwork and pay a deposit. Long story short we got the deposit back a year and a half later and confirmed that our hoa is full of idiots. Lol.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looking good up on those big tires. I think you might need to get a milk crate to stand on to get to the stair however...lol.

One thing I will share. My Tent Trailer is your standard build modern (2009) tent trailer. It is loaded up with HW heater/tank, fridge, cassette toilet, furnace etc. All of this stuff requires holes for venting and so on. On the dusty trails it quite literally FILLS with dust. Every opening gets so much dust and road spray in it that it is horrible once you get to camp. I would suggest that you come up with some removable covers, and step up the level of lid to tub seals all the way around. They also flex (yours will less on a new frame) and the gaps open up and let yet more dust in.

I am sure your trailer will be a lot more sturdy than a standard off the shelf (lot) unit, but the seals and the openings are something to think about. Maybe you have already, just thought I would share from my past experience in case you haven't?

Looks awesome!!
Greg

So many holes...

silvrzuki77

explorer
Good call greg on all the openings. The openings I have are heater, fridge, 110, and bbq outlet. Of course the million holes underneath lol. For the 110 and bbq hook up I was thinking some high density foam. Cut it bigger and jam it in there. The area around the fridge look sealed well from the interior, but I will try to get more sealant in. Furnace not sure on that one yet. I was think of running a rubber strip on the top of the tub to help seal better. I think its going to be a process for sure!

silvrzuki77

explorer
e6e6ejyz.jpg

Added some insulation under the beds. Next pay day will start ordering suspension parts or steel for the frame. Looks like we are heading to Death Valley thanksgiving weekend. Need to get off my butt and building!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Awesome build/reno! I like this almost as much as your Teardrop! You're do9ing great work.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Here is for you greg!
Greg brought up a great point about all the holes in tent trailer. From the 110v shoreline, bbq gas line, etc. We decided (my wife) it was time to get a wazoo motorized king bed. Anyways our old mattress top was a queen memory foam pad. The trailer has a full and a twin, so I will just buy new cosco pads for them. So out came the carving knife. Made a twin pad for the horrible mattress at my fire station and then cut several piece to fill the camper holes.
eza7aqy9.jpg

Before
y9e3ajur.jpg

And after
ny3yqyvy.jpg

Its cut bigger and expands to the hole. Should cut the dust down a bit!

Tomorrow or monday should be the big order day for the entire suspension!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice! Good call on plugging up them holes. I am going to do something similar to our trailer next spring before we do our May long weekend trip. That road is a mess...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal