UJOR Build Thread

350outrage

Adventurer
I'll say one more thing on the topic of "initial impact" of these suspensions. I think the harsh initial impact over square edged bumps may just be the price we pay for having that big unsprung D-60 riding in front. By "unsprung", I mean no spring between the ground and the 500+ pounds of D-60. I always believed that a lovely soft initial impact was the main advantage of a IFS 4WD setup, and so I'm not too suprised that I can feel the inertia of the 500# D-60 which is suddenly accelerated vertically to a very high speed over a square bump. I don't know if any suspension system can really eliminate this altogether: you've got 500# of unsprung weight. Guess I'm trying to say that the "initial impact" issue might not be cured by a softer spring, but you might lose other really great virtues, like the Hwy handling. I'm going to try bigger softer tires next time around to "cushion" the movement of the D-60 a little.

stormlover

Adventurer
Anybody have any advice on turbo replacement or rebuild on my 2004 6.0 QVan? I'm told I need a new turbo and am wondering what gains you get with an upgraded turbo? Or should I stick with a stock replacement? My driving is normal w/ no real heavy duty driving, pulling etc.

I've done all the 6.0 upgrades, although kept the egr cooler (BulletProof) since I'm in California, and am wondering if a turbo cleaning will simply work.

Yes, it will work. But unless you are going to do the rebuild yourself I would just buy a drop-in replacement. Labor is $600 or so to completely clean it and another $200 for rebuild parts. If you are going to do that I would install a 360 thrust bearing rebuild kit and a billet compressor wheel. The former will increase oil flow and the latter will lower your EGTs a bit and help with faster spool up. As for upgrades, it's not really worth going to a bigger turbo unless you've done some other mods like bigger injectors. Just buy something close to stock unless you are looking for more top end. Either way, while your in there install the upgraded turbo drain and feed lines and also pick up a new VGT Turbo Control Solenoid Pigtail Harness. The fittings will invariably break when you go to pull the turbo. Here's a good link on reconditioning your existing turbo. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/turbocharger-reconditioning-r17

As for upgrades don't buy a powermax unless you are planning to put in a billet compressor wheel. While the garret powermax was considered the king of the 6.0 turbo upgrade options in the late 2000s there are much better options on the market today. If I was going to upgrade my turbo on my 6.0 today I would buy the stage 1.5 KCturbo either directly or from http://www.wpediesel.com/index.php/turbos/complete-turbos/kc-stage-1-5-turbo.html

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, it will work. But unless you are going to do the rebuild yourself I would just buy a drop-in replacement. Labor is $600 or so to completely clean it and another $200 for rebuild parts. Either way, while your in there install the upgraded turbo drain and feed lines and also pick up a new VGT Turbo Control Solenoid Pigtail Harness. The fittings will invariably break when you go to pull the turbo. Here's a good link on reconditioning your existing turbo. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/turbocharger-reconditioning-r17

I don't want to take this too OT, but good info for all of us; did Ford start equipping later 6.0's with the upgraded drain/feed lines after a specific year/VIN split? Just curious if my '07 6.0L would already have the upgraded lines.
Good call on the VGT harness; jeez, lots of parts to replace/upgrade when cleaning the turbo.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
BVan is back for a check up and full 6.0 diesel treatment. almost 60k on this rig now so its a good time to update everything.

10569070_950602984958930_5089420158656984184_n.jpg

And it needs tires! I'm geeking out on this pic for a few reasons. One is that these Toyo MT's have OVER 50k in them. And, they've worn so nicely! This rig didn't have a trac bar for the majority of these miles. Good wear is great.

11088233_950602998292262_4293828005727531603_n.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Had a photographer come by today for an upcoming magazine article so we lined up the rigs that are mobile. Great variety of E series!

11081164_950747394944489_8437630113651782770_n.jpg

New arrival. Full UJOR treatment and then headed to Poland. Hope they're ready for a UJ van!

10923254_950814214937807_6558328107091238923_n.jpg

stormlover

Adventurer
I don't want to take this too OT, but good info for all of us; did Ford start equipping later 6.0's with the upgraded drain/feed lines after a specific year/VIN split? Just curious if my '07 6.0L would already have the upgraded lines.
Good call on the VGT harness; jeez, lots of parts to replace/upgrade when cleaning the turbo.

I think the upgrade part 3C3Z9T516A is for the 2003 - 2006 model years, but you can tell if you have the old one if it has the flex housing. The jury seems mixed on whether the new one is really an upgrade part for the expense but most agree that the new unrestrictive drain tube 6C3Z9T515A is a worthwhile investment. The better flow through the bends prevents oil from backing up into the turbo. And, if you have the turbo out as a preventative measure it also makes sense to replace the snap connect fitting on the HPOP with the updated STC kit 4C3Z-9B246-F as well as check the IPR screen.

ert01

Adventurer
Hey Chris, I was doing some research on the Warn VTC air compressor and stumbled upon an old post of yours from 2008 where you mentioned that you had one... I have the opportunity to buy a used one for a steal and was curious on if you still like yours and how it's worked out for you in the long run. Did you ever hardmount it in a van? I have an F350EB and I'd kinda like to try to tuck it away somewhere on the van but I know its pretty large to try to hide.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
:Wow1: That even tire wear speaks volumes of the quality, accuracy & attention to detail of your parts & your work !!! :drool:

Yes! Thanks!

Hey Chris, I was doing some research on the Warn VTC air compressor and stumbled upon an old post of yours from 2008 where you mentioned that you had one... I have the opportunity to buy a used one for a steal and was curious on if you still like yours and how it's worked out for you in the long run. Did you ever hardmount it in a van? I have an F350EB and I'd kinda like to try to tuck it away somewhere on the van but I know its pretty large to try to hide.

I had it hard mounted to the rear skid of Vanaconda which I sold several years ago. It worked well, never had a major issue with it. It's pretty loud though! Not sure why Warn stopped making them.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Had a photographer come by today for an upcoming magazine article so we lined up the rigs that are mobile. Great variety of E series!

11081164_950747394944489_8437630113651782770_n.jpg

Epic pic Chris! The white one w/ hood vents to the left of the black one for sale, is that a 6" lift, where the tan and white ones to the left of it are 4" lift? (So the line goes two stock, two 4", one 6", two 8"?)
Any idea on the hood vent size for the white van, whether they're medium or large?(I'm trying to decide for VANdiana). TIA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3