UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Fun day at the shop! Stereo install on the white 7.3 wagon, still wiring and installing the front winch on the SMB 7.3, VivaLaVida is in for some anti theft stuff and V4 got sick over the weekend. All is good now!

549295_957260367626525_4155123320243745251_n.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It's tough without a wheel bolted to it. And even with, you need 2 guys to see what is moving (ball joints or trac bar) It's usually a good or bad thing, they normally go without much notice. Lifespan depends on the quality of the bearing, what I use costs ~$300 each. You can get cheap ones for as low as $150 now but I stay away from them.

You going to Ford for yours, or quality aftermarket? I was looking at Napa sourced but they have about 3 different versions of unit bearings and other than the cheapest one, I cant tell what the difference is between the mid range and top dollar unit.

Mine seemed to be ok but I figure while I'm in there I'd replace and be done with it. Speaking of replacing stuff. Do you know of a "kit" that has all the seals and what not from the inner knuckle out? There was all kinds of weird funkiness on that axle I've never seen before. The outer axle shafts have some kind of weird thick seal kind of thingy on them. Is that related to the auto hubs?

Basically is there a " Refresh your outer D60 101" out there? I know I'd get there in the end, I just picture a whole bunch of wasted time trying to figure out exactly what it is I need, and then waiting on it. First time I've ever dealt with a tear down of a unit bearing auto hub axle, and it for sure is a different animal.

How low is that? Asking you to help me figure out how to rebuild an axle I was too cheap to source from you? But if you ever get up this way my wife is from Japan and a mean cook of just about anything you could imagine (and some stuff you probably dont want to!). :)

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Basically is there a " Refresh your outer D60 101" out there? I know I'd get there in the end, I just picture a whole bunch of wasted time trying to figure out exactly what it is I need, and then waiting on it. :)

The best tutorial/parts list is in Brads vandiana jones thread. Lot of good info there, I referred to it a number of times during my conversion and encourage anyone considering a conversion to read it.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You going to Ford for yours, or quality aftermarket? I was looking at Napa sourced but they have about 3 different versions of unit bearings and other than the cheapest one, I cant tell what the difference is between the mid range and top dollar unit.

Mine seemed to be ok but I figure while I'm in there I'd replace and be done with it. Speaking of replacing stuff. Do you know of a "kit" that has all the seals and what not from the inner knuckle out? There was all kinds of weird funkiness on that axle I've never seen before. The outer axle shafts have some kind of weird thick seal kind of thingy on them. Is that related to the auto hubs?

Basically is there a " Refresh your outer D60 101" out there? I know I'd get there in the end, I just picture a whole bunch of wasted time trying to figure out exactly what it is I need, and then waiting on it. First time I've ever dealt with a tear down of a unit bearing auto hub axle, and it for sure is a different animal.

How low is that? Asking you to help me figure out how to rebuild an axle I was too cheap to source from you? But if you ever get up this way my wife is from Japan and a mean cook of just about anything you could imagine (and some stuff you probably dont want to!). :)

I've considered a D60 video build.....

The best tutorial/parts list is in Brads vandiana jones thread. Lot of good info there, I referred to it a number of times during my conversion and encourage anyone considering a conversion to read it.

Yes, exactly. He did an excellent job with that!

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Fun day at the shop! Stereo install on the white 7.3 wagon, still wiring and installing the front winch on the SMB 7.3, VivaLaVida is in for some anti theft stuff and V4 got sick over the weekend. All is good now!

Can you expand upon the anti-theft stuff? Electronics, physical such as bolstering door locks or kill switch? This is purely out of curiosity as mine will eventually be left at trail heads for days on end when I can get into the back country. It's cool if you don't want to publicize this stuff, I understand.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Can you expand upon the anti-theft stuff? Electronics, physical such as bolstering door locks or kill switch? This is purely out of curiosity as mine will eventually be left at trail heads for days on end when I can get into the back country. It's cool if you don't want to publicize this stuff, I understand.

Will PM you.

stormlover

Adventurer
What I have learned while doing a FF D60 rear axle swap on my SMB is that there is no paint-by-numbers guide available. Ujoint offers an awesome DIY kit if you source the axles either from him or find them, as he recommends, from a 99-04 F-series or Excursion. Otherwise, be prepared to do your homework. In my case, he was most helpful with questions but once you get outside the box everything becomes more problematic. Axle perches, shock mounts, brake lines, locker options, etc.

Thanks for the help Chris, I'm almost done:victory:

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The Poland build has begun!

11149474_957772620908633_5876376061158194259_n.jpg

Long list of things to do with V4 & The Sherpa before Overland Expo. Trying to get a jump on it so we're not pulling all nighters the week before I leave...

11138566_957824517570110_3704423769242136887_n.jpg

kccourtney

Observer
Long list of things to do with V4 & The Sherpa before Overland Expo. Trying to get a jump on it so we're not pulling all nighters the week before I leave...

Are you going to OE West this year? If so, be prepared for me to drag you under my van for some advice. I'm the guy with the Salem Kroger that bugs you periodically about swapping out my steering setup with yours.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

Are you going to OE West this year? If so, be prepared for me to drag you under my van for some advice. I'm the guy with the Salem Kroger that bugs you periodically about swapping out my steering setup with yours.

Yep! I'll be there!

Vannibal Smith

I'm weighing my options between sourcing my own axle for the conversion or buying a finished one. Can the RSC issue during the 4wd conversion be solved by turning off the code in the computer instead of getting the upgraded axle?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm weighing my options between sourcing my own axle for the conversion or buying a finished one. Can the RSC issue during the 4wd conversion be solved by turning off the code in the computer instead of getting the upgraded axle?

I wish it were that easy! The quick answer is no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3