UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
sPOD switch panel for the 09/up rigs. Will crank out a few for the shelf if anyone needs one.

12341567_1089327587753135_5081041883099300892_n.jpg

Did some flex testing & measuring today on this 6"/35's rig. Better than I expected. 16" of travel at the hub.

11218820_1089361884416372_743344954461011875_n.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
sPOD switch panel for the 09/up rigs. Will crank out a few for the shelf if anyone needs one.

12341567_1089327587753135_5081041883099300892_n.jpg

Did some flex testing & measuring today on this 6"/35's rig. Better than I expected. 16" of travel at the hub.

11218820_1089361884416372_743344954461011875_n.jpg

Damn fine switch panel.

Whoa nelly on the flexage, heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!! :drool::wings::smiley_drive:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Man that shot of the dash just drives home how crap-tastic the one in my '92 is. Has anyone done a dash swap in that vintage to something, anything, newer and less....fugly?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It wouldn't have to be that new. I should do a photo search (how do you do that?) on dashes of the different model years. Sometimes dashes can look quite different yet still be physically interchangable in the cabin. Bolt in/out. I wouldn't need all the fancy gee-gaw stuff. Just a better layout and maybe better space for a double-din or something. Right now I can fit a single din only, and can't even use the single din with the slide out/flip up screen because sliding out it would run ********** into the shift lever.

One of those things I didn't really consider when looking to purchase. Oops. :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
It wouldn't have to be that new. I should do a photo search (how do you do that?) on dashes of the different model years. Sometimes dashes can look quite different yet still be physically interchangable in the cabin. Bolt in/out. I wouldn't need all the fancy gee-gaw stuff. Just a better layout and maybe better space for a double-din or something. Right now I can fit a single din only, and can't even use the single din with the slide out/flip up screen because sliding out it would run ********** into the shift lever.

One of those things I didn't really consider when looking to purchase. Oops. :)

"Google images" ;)

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Very impressive to see in person!
8XTDm0y.jpg

So everyone can understand your measuring strategy, Chris would you mind explaining?
(Just trying to get a better understanding for noobies like me and possibly others who too)

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
If you look at the pics above, you will see two pieces of blue painter's tape. One is on the hub and one is on the fender. Typically, you stuff the tire into the fender, measure, then lift the other side, so the first tire will drop down as far as it can, then measure again.

At any point, top of tire, hub or bottom of tire, the overall "wheel travel" is the same. i.e. the hub cannot traverl further than the top of the wheel for example.

For additional info, you could also measure the loaded and unladen ride height (hub to fender) to give you an idea how much your suspension compresses under load and how much travel you have in each direction (up-travel and down-travel) In an off road rig, down travel is usually the greater of the two, at least in the rock crawling world. I am sure Chris will chime in with more detail on how he sets up his vans.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If you look at the pics above, you will see two pieces of blue painter's tape. One is on the hub and one is on the fender. Typically, you stuff the tire into the fender, measure, then lift the other side, so the first tire will drop down as far as it can, then measure again.

At any point, top of tire, hub or bottom of tire, the overall "wheel travel" is the same. i.e. the hub cannot traverl further than the top of the wheel for example.

For additional info, you could also measure the loaded and unladen ride height (hub to fender) to give you an idea how much your suspension compresses under load and how much travel you have in each direction (up-travel and down-travel) In an off road rig, down travel is usually the greater of the two, at least in the rock crawling world. I am sure Chris will chime in with more detail on how he sets up his vans.

What he said!

We had a ride height dim of 28.25, droop @ 36.75 and comp @20.75.

Wheel travel is important in all rigs. For off road you want as many tires on the ground as you can to keep moving, on road you want it to soak up the bumps. V7 uses up quite a bit of travel during my daily commute. We did this test to check clearances, shock travel, etc since we've changed some small items lately (lower shock mounts) And to show that we can not only get a good ride & handling but the leaf springs can flex damn good when needed.

We did it with the sway bar attached and lost 1.5" of travel. There's nothing special or different about this van, has our standard 6" 4x4 conversion.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
The point is, neither are "Wheel Travel" as wheel travel is measured at the center of the tire contact patch and is vertical travel from full bump to full extension.

With a straight axle, you can't get 7.5" of bump travel, from ride height, with only 2.5" of exposed shock shaft at ride height - you can only get 2.5".

picture.php

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
This van has just under 5" of shaft showing at ride height. Where are you getting this 2.5" # from?

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
With a straight axle, you can't get 7.5" of bump travel, from ride height, with only 2.5" of exposed shock shaft at ride height - you can only get 2.5".

That would only be 100% true if the shock was mounted right at the tire patch. If we assume bump/compression on a single wheel only, the axle traverses an arc (with the opposite wheel as the pivot), the tire patch moves a greater distance than the shock, which is somewhat inboard. You can do the trigonometry if you care to find the precise ratio, but academically, you get a bit more tire movement than you do shock compression.

That said, your point stands that you ain't gettin' 7.5" of bump travel if the shock only moves 2.5".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven