UJOR Build Thread

calebmogul

Sorry to hijack thread but can anyone recommend a diesel mechanic in Orange/LA County area that they really like. Have had it with dealerships that are able to do little more than discuss problem codes that have nothing to do with the problem or shops where everyone rolls their eyes as soon as you pull in 'cause they hate working on vans.

Chris, on a more related topic, can you (or anyone) post a list of the So Cal outfits you've had good luck with on your kit installs. It's a little early (bonuses get handed out in March ; ) but I want to start doing my homework so I can hit the ground running. I've got a 7.3 Salem Kroger so all of the drivetrain stuff is done, just need to pretty much replace everything else including springs, hangers, shackles Xover steering. Gonna go from a 4" to your 6" with doubles up front.

Also, on your website you give a 40 hour estimate for the whole enchilada. What's your time guesstimate on a DeSalem-Kroger-ification job?

Thanks

--Kevin
Hey Kevin,

I blew a vacuum pump on a Friday afternoon on my way home to Colorado from Santa Barbara a while back. After a quick Google Search I found a shop (can't remember the name) that had high ratings from the better business bureau. They were too busy to help but recommend Covina Diesel. They were slammed at Covina as well, but the guy stayed late to get me back on the road that night. It was my second vacuum pump in a year. After fixing the vacuum pump he showed me how the lines weren't getting enough pressure from the brake booster. At first I thought the parts were expensive, but after researching later I realized it was a fair price. This is obviously not a very difficult fix, but I would go there again.

Covina Diesel & Gas
Address: 767 E San Bernardino Rd, Covina, CA 91723, United States
Phone:+1 626-967-6092

calebmogul

UJOR gas tank size

I was worried about a smaller fuel tank too, but with a 7.3L diesel I still get 320+ miles out of a 25 gal tank.

If that bothers you, Chris sells a 35.5 gal aluminum tank that bolts in. That'll give you even more capacity than stock.

Hey Chris,

Did you change the size of your aluminum gas tank part Part #: FT002? Just curious as my 2003 7.3 UJOR build was done a couple years ago w/ your alum. tank and I have my scanguage II programmed for a 38 gal. tank. I double checked the UjOR website and the current tank posted is 35.5.

This post got me thinking because I almost/did run out of gas in L.A. a while back. Same trip as the vacuum pump, but on the way TO the beach. Related? I had pulled an all night drive and really wanted to get through L.A. before rush hour hit in the morning. I normally don't like to run my fuel low, but in this instance I did, (the kid and the dog were so sound asleep). Scangauge was still reporting 10Gal. to empty when the engine started sputtering, but the gas gauge was just under E. I took the next exit and barely limped into a gas station that, sure enough was several miles off the highway. I had to to stop, wait, cringe, restart to get over a hill and coast to the gas station. I put in 29 gallons, which is the most I've ever filled the tank. The OEM fuel tank has a rounded bottom while the UJOR tank is flat. I wonder if that has anything to do with the pressure and how well the last of the fuel is drawn up?....Anyway, my point is go BIG when deciding how big a tank you want. You don't want to suck all the ******t at the bottom of the tank into the engine, which means you really have a lot less gas to work with than you think. With my tank (be it 38 or 35.5 gallons) I figure I really only have 28 or 25ish gallons to work with, which still puts me in the 400 mile/tank range.

I'd actually be kinda stoked if the tank I have was 35.5 gallons instead of 38.

P.S. sorrry to sidetrack the suspension travel discussion.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Makes me smile. I ran out of fuel once in the van, oem ford gauge still read at 1/4 tank, awful experience. I'm curious what the true mileage/capacity is, but too chicken turd to flirt with 1/4 tank again!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'd actually be kinda stoked if the tank I have was 35.5 gallons instead of 38.

Caleb, curious why you'd be stoked to have a 35.5ga vs the 38ga?
PS--I'll have to see what Brad entered in as the fuel tank size on my ScanGaugeII.

Unfortunately I'm not sure the tank is 35.5ga capacity, or should I say that you can actually use the last X gallons in it based on the placement of the pickup and the angle of the remaining fuel level---and this is especially true when headed uphill due to the pickup being more at the front of the tank(very ******tty OEM design, the pickup should be at the back as it's easier to coast an empty fuel rig DOWN hill than try to drive it UP hill), as like you and Nate, I too ran mine out of accessible fuel when trying to go up hill (fuel light was on yes, but per calculations of a 35.5ga tank I should have had at least a few gallons remaining).

On my future list is an aux tank for longer range. I can only seem to go 300ish miles on mine, and that's driving nicely.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
When we 1st made tanks the "engineer" that made it for me said the capacity was 38g. It wasn't. True capacity is 35.5. Since the tank is flat across the bottom the capacity is deceiving. 1" of fuel is almost 5 gallons so when the float is all the way down and showing E there is still fuel in there. It is a roll the dice when you get down that low no matter which tank it is.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Well I knew someone would have something to say, exactly why I stated that the travel was at the hub (where I measured) Travel will of course be less at the wheel center. The van pictured is a 6" with non progressive springs. They sit lower (Optima van). The 4" lift you've shown pics of are not the same and do not get the same travel.

The Optima van had a full interior and pop top added after we built it, compressing the suspension. Before SEMA he had the rear beefed up a bit and could have had the front done too but said it drove fine, no need to change anything.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
So, I am a little confused by the claims - and so is everyone else.

Who else is confused? The pic speaks for itself. Not all of our vans are built the same. You're the ONLY person who has critiqued it. Perhaps your time would be better spent answering emails or getting your customers some product.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've never seen one with "just under 5" of shaft showing at ride height".

So, I am a little confused by the claims - and so is everyone else.

Maybe you should get out more. :)

That would be about 5 3/4" at ride height as it sits in my driveway. As far as being confused.... About what? Did my 6" lift actually net me 6 inches? Six inches compared to what? My van the way it sat when I bought the kit? Twenty three years old with a suspension that was a bit...old, shall we say. Or 6 inches compared to a new off the lot E350? Who knows. I wanted what I needed to clear 37" tires, no more, and that's what I got.

87DAD572-A3CB-43D6-9259-A36CFE8014C6_zpsr7xye7iv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Who else is confused? The pic speaks for itself. Not all of our vans are built the same. You're the ONLY person who has critiqued it. Perhaps your time would be better spent answering emails or getting your customers some product.

Wait Chris, so you're saying that you actually listen to what the customer wants(driving style and locations like fire roads or rocky terrain etc, loads carried, etc), communicating with them, and then dial THEIR suspension to THEIR needs? And you communicate like this not only before the build process, but during, and also afterwards? Whoa, how novel an idea. Sounds like a fine business you run there. :bowdown:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Wait Chris, so you're saying that you actually listen to what the customer wants(driving style and locations like fire roads or rocky terrain etc, loads carried, etc), communicating with them, and then dial THEIR suspension to THEIR needs? And you communicate like this not only before the build process, but during, and also afterwards? Whoa, how novel an idea. Sounds like a fine business you run there. :bowdown:

Oh my...
That leaves me with the giggles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven