UJOR Build Thread

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Stick with steel, IMO, and stay away from aluminum. Beyond that, why do you want to match the front width? Is your junk stock or modified? If it's all stock I wouldn't mess with it. There's a reason the track widths of most truck types are narrower in the rear so unless it's just really bugging you there's no real reason to change.

Stick with steel, IMO, and stay away from aluminum. Beyond that, why do you want to match the front width? Is your junk stock or modified? If it's all stock I wouldn't mess with it. There's a reason the track widths of most truck types are narrower in the rear so unless it's just really bugging you there's no real reason to change.

I've read many accounts of widening the rear track to match the front makes the ride/handling better. My van is "stock" well it was when I dropped it off at the front end shop yesterday. It's getting 3/4 ton coils up front and new tie rods/ends, radius arm bushings, ball joints, and a set of bilstein HD shocks, as well as new 16x8 wheels and 265/70-16 AT-3's.

I'd love steel spacers, but haven't found any advertised. Haven't submitted an inquiry to "wheeladapter" yet.

350outrage

Adventurer
I've read many accounts of widening the rear track to match the front makes the ride/handling better. My van is "stock" well it was when I dropped it off at the front end shop yesterday. It's getting 3/4 ton coils up front and new tie rods/ends, radius arm bushings, ball joints, and a set of bilstein HD shocks, as well as new 16x8 wheels and 265/70-16 AT-3's.

I'd love steel spacers, but haven't found any advertised. Haven't submitted an inquiry to "wheeladapter" yet.

I spaced out my rears as you describe about 3 years before I had Chris do my 4wd conversion, and yes, it helped handling tremendously. Cant remember the name of the shop where I got the spacers, but it was run by an old hot rodder in Burbank Ca., and he told me the spacers would cure 90% of the Van's handling demons on the stock suspension (i.e. excessive pitch, roll, and sidewind sensitivity). I really didn't believe that at the time, so I also ordered a Hellwig rear anti sway bar to install simultaneously. When the spacers showed up, they were steel, and so beautifully made, I almost didn't want to put them on! Found out later that this old guy is the same place Chris gets his spacers from. Wish I could remember the name, maybe Chris could help. Btw, old guy was right. Spacers helped the handling so much, I really d/n need the Hellwig after I got the spacers on.

350outrage

Adventurer

OK, after a little more research, I got my spacers from wheeladaptor.com which is the website for Design Delux Mfg., Canoga Park, Ca. The old hotrodder was Fred Goeske, and unfortunately, he passed away in 2014 or thereabouts. The website for his Co. is still up though, and if they're still in business, their product is hi Q. Not cheap though. "100% American Made Steel" per the website. I got the 2" spacers.

Sorry abt the mild hi-jack, Chris.

Navi

Adventurer
OK, after a little more research, I got my spacers from wheeladaptor.com which is the website for Design Delux Mfg., Canoga Park, Ca. The old hotrodder was Fred Goeske, and unfortunately, he passed away in 2014 or thereabouts. The website for his Co. is still up though, and if they're still in business, their product is hi Q. Not cheap though. "100% American Made Steel" per the website. I got the 2" spacers.

Sorry abt the mild hi-jack, Chris.
I ordered a wheel adapter from him 12 years ago. Quality looking product but I never abused them so I cant give a full review.
Sorry to hear Goeske passed, he was extremely helpful when I called to order.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yea Fred was a hoot. I stopped using him a while back though. Still have a VM on my phone of him pissed that he hadn't heard from me. If I would send a PO late a night he would call me really early the next day. When I told him that he was on the ball and up too early he would say "I might die today, need to get your order out!"

I've never had a set of 5x5.5 spacers made but can check with my machine shop to see if they can. And yes, use steel spacers that are hub & lug centric.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The nice vans get all the love but I have to show some for V6, our UJ work horse. I picked up this thing with a blown head gasket, no wheels, basically ready to be crushed for $500. No rust, a little beat up here and there, it served a good life for an electrical company in GA. We swapped a used truck 5.4 and threw some new parts at it, now it runs like a champ and spends its days all over town doing the dirty work. The transmission isn't always happy so once it goes we'll probably convert it. I'm thinking of a budget build, we have a nice collection of used parts that would work great. Anyway, here's V6 working as a moving van yesterday.

12418115_1109831355702758_6515283072506108350_n.jpg

350outrage

Adventurer
I ordered a wheel adapter from him 12 years ago. Quality looking product but I never abused them so I cant give a full review.
Sorry to hear Goeske passed, he was extremely helpful when I called to order.

He took a lot of time with me as well. Wanted to make sure my studs were still the SAE and that I d/n need the metric 700 spaced studs. When the spacers came, they were perfect and right! I'm sorry he's gone as well.

Yea Fred was a hoot. I stopped using him a while back though. Still have a VM on my phone of him pissed that he hadn't heard from me. If I would send a PO late a night he would call me really early the next day. When I told him that he was on the ball and up too early he would say "I might die today, need to get your order out!"

I've never had a set of 5x5.5 spacers made but can check with my machine shop to see if they can. And yes, use steel spacers that are hub & lug centric.

If you can, let me know, I'm interested in a set.

thescottgivens

I have a question I was going to send over to Chris in an email, but thought I might get a few good responses from everyone that follows this thread. (thanks to all in advance for any answers, I have learned a ton from this thread alone as I plan my van build). Could not be happier with Chris as well as he has helped a ton, but I know he is a busy man, and in high demand for time.

I picked up a 96' Club Wagon 7.3 last year from a fire dept in New York, with only 18k miles on it. It was a lucky ebay find...I actually sent it over to Chris shop to have a look at it before I had it shipped out west, and am planning on getting it converted this year, just pending my financial plan and ability to do so...I had a few questions, as I plan out my investment in the van. (seems to do these right they require a little $$$)

1) I have read and heard a lot about the differences between the 96 model year 7.3 diesel engines and the subsequent years. Being a newbie to diesels (and vans in general) is there anything I should be worried about pumping tons of money into a 96 model year vs possibly looking for a later model 7.3 (which would probably be impossible to find in the condition of my 96')?

2) One of my top priorities (post conversion of course) is to somehow make the interior seating a bit more flexible. I would like to be able to keep the factory seats, just be able to adjust them back a couple inches for a tiny bit more leg room (and car seat room).

3) My other priority is to make the interior floor something that can be "sprayed out" and cleaned. I think Rhino lining the floor might be a bit of overkill, but has anyone done a vinyl floor like home bathroom? Or something similar that works for a passenger van?

4) Has anyone found any good seat covers for factory seats to help protect them a bit?

Thanks all for the great forum and any answers! I appreciate it!

89s rule

Adventurer
I have a question I was going to send over to Chris in an email, but thought I might get a few good responses from everyone that follows this thread. (thanks to all in advance for any answers, I have learned a ton from this thread alone as I plan my van build). Could not be happier with Chris as well as he has helped a ton, but I know he is a busy man, and in high demand for time.

I picked up a 96' Club Wagon 7.3 last year from a fire dept in New York, with only 18k miles on it. It was a lucky ebay find...I actually sent it over to Chris shop to have a look at it before I had it shipped out west, and am planning on getting it converted this year, just pending my financial plan and ability to do so...I had a few questions, as I plan out my investment in the van. (seems to do these right they require a little $$$)

1) I have read and heard a lot about the differences between the 96 model year 7.3 diesel engines and the subsequent years. Being a newbie to diesels (and vans in general) is there anything I should be worried about pumping tons of money into a 96 model year vs possibly looking for a later model 7.3 (which would probably be impossible to find in the condition of my 96')?

2) One of my top priorities (post conversion of course) is to somehow make the interior seating a bit more flexible. I would like to be able to keep the factory seats, just be able to adjust them back a couple inches for a tiny bit more leg room (and car seat room).

3) My other priority is to make the interior floor something that can be "sprayed out" and cleaned. I think Rhino lining the floor might be a bit of overkill, but has anyone done a vinyl floor like home bathroom? Or something similar that works for a passenger van?

4) Has anyone found any good seat covers for factory seats to help protect them a bit?

Thanks all for the great forum and any answers! I appreciate it!

Chris and others certainly know much more than I do but I'll try my best to answer since I have a '95.

1. Only differences I know of is obd2. I think that may have come out in '96? This affects ease of monitoring issues.

2. If you are going to redo floor you can move seats wherever you would like. Several on here have even used some trac to make them moveable.

3. Bedliner can work but you will need to figure out something for walls. If you don't have to have it where you can "hose" it out, but rather movable etc you can use any kind of vinyl flooring.

4. I'm sure you can find some custom or genetic seat covers that will fit. Try eBay or?? Personally by the time you find custom covers you could probably have bought some nice seats out of a junkyard or Craigslist for the same $. This is especially true if you are going to be moving seats anyways.

devo 1

Adventurer
I really like the Cabelas Trail Gear seat covers. They fit well and have storage pockets on the back. I have them on the play van and work vans.

350outrage

Adventurer
Chris and others certainly know much more than I do but I'll try my best to answer since I have a '95.

1. Only differences I know of is obd2. I think that may have come out in '96? This affects ease of monitoring issues.

2. If you are going to redo floor you can move seats wherever you would like. Several on here have even used some trac to make them moveable.

3. Bedliner can work but you will need to figure out something for walls. If you don't have to have it where you can "hose" it out, but rather movable etc you can use any kind of vinyl flooring.

4. I'm sure you can find some custom or genetic seat covers that will fit. Try eBay or?? Personally by the time you find custom covers you could probably have bought some nice seats out of a junkyard or Craigslist for the same $. This is especially true if you are going to be moving seats anyways.

What are the factory seatcovers? Mine are the grey cloth. Initially I had your same concerns, but they have withstood 14 years of wet bathing suits, trail mix, baby @#$$%, dust, dog hair, sweat, red mud, etc. They just wipe clean with a damp cloth or vac clean. They still look great! Maybe cover your factory covers if they ever give up? You should have a lot of miles (messes) before you have to worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven