UJOR Build Thread

cjken

Explorer
In addition to the pre 97 7.3 PSD problems mentioned above I have had some IDM problems due to water in the box.
I would love to do the electrical pump swap mentioned above at some point. Mine has low miles, but being an ambulance probably idled a lot and sat unused for a period of time.

GNTY

Adventurer
Van body mounts. I know you have removed a number of bodies and I can sure bet that you've had countless body bolts break so am wondering if you have found or used any of the aftermarket replacement body mount kits instead of paying the $800+ on OE ones?

thescottgivens

Thanks all for the responses. I am pretty proud of the low mileage van I found, sometimes I just grin and chuckle when I drive it...cant wait to get it where it needs to be from Chris.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Van body mounts. I know you have removed a number of bodies and I can sure bet that you've had countless body bolts break so am wondering if you have found or used any of the aftermarket replacement body mount kits instead of paying the $800+ on OE ones?

I've only used the Ford mounts, nothing application specific to the E series available in the aftermarket that I know of.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The snow has begun! Woke up to ~5", roads are terrible, perfect day in my opinion. Time to go raise some hell in the snow!

12472692_1115323528486874_1367278998495508304_n.jpg

stormlover

Adventurer
Chris, I can't remember if I read it in this thread or somewhere else but is there a reason you prefer the medium size louver over large? http://hoodlouvers.com/shop/powder-coated-black-hi-flow/

9x14" versus 11x17".

What do you use to cut through the fiberglass hood? This mod and re-doing the insulation on the dog haus are my two upcoming mods. Have fun with the snow. El Nino has done a complete flip flop in the west.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Chris, I can't remember if I read it in this thread or somewhere else but is there a reason you prefer the medium size louver over large? http://hoodlouvers.com/shop/powder-coated-black-hi-flow/

9x14" versus 11x17".

What do you use to cut through the fiberglass hood? This mod and re-doing the insulation on the dog haus are my two upcoming mods. Have fun with the snow. El Nino has done a complete flip flop in the west.

Large would require cutting the hood structure.
Medium's won't; http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55074-UJOR-Build-Thread?p=2001146#post2001146

stormlover

Adventurer

Oh yah, that's the one! I see, the large would extend to the bend in the hood and the louver would have to make the bend as well as cutting some of the hood structure. Thanks!

edit to add: do you think the hi flow louvers let in less water because the vents are smaller (even though there are more) than the low flow which have 9 louvers? Looks to me like everyone goes with the high flow version anyway.

Last edited:

pjpvi

Observer
Oh yah, that's the one! I see, the large would extend to the bend in the hood and the louver would have to make the bend as well as cutting some of the hood structure. Thanks!

edit to add: do you think the hi flow louvers let in less water because the vents are smaller (even though there are more) than the low flow which have 9 louvers? Looks to me like everyone goes with the high flow version anyway.

I used large and did not cut into the structure. It bends over the hood curve easily. I like the look, but I get why most use the medium and I don't think I get that much more actual vent than the medium since I avoid cutting into the structure.

Phil

Attachments

• big holes.jpg
    big holes.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 69
  • vent under close.jpg
    vent under close.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Vents under.jpg
    Vents under.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 73
  • vent top close.jpg
    vent top close.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 77
  • vents done.jpg
    vents done.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 75

philos

Explorer
An alternative to those vents are the steel ones on ebay. $25 is a way lower price for the same cooling effect, even if they aren't as "cool" as the others... see what I did there?
I just rounded the corners with a flap disc, and drilled for rivets before I painted them black. Start to finish was maybe an hour and change. Easy job.
They've been on there around a year now and still look great.
629c50fd1bcf8a5b15a8da348d8072c9.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven