UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Neighbor walked in yesterday and asked to borrow V4 to move a hot tub. Thats my baby, nobody drives it but me and one or 2 other guys! Did;t want to leave them hanging so I said I would help. Coldest day of the year, perfect for moving a hot tub!

12524005_1111703072182253_8389168661477104910_n.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Booth girls? Man, I don't usually criticize this way but those are two of the homliest, most unattractivly dressed booth babes I think I've ever seen. And the one must be from the old East German Olympic team judging by the amount of beard. (Shudder!)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Booth girls? Man, I don't usually criticize this way but those are two of the homliest, most unattractivly dressed booth babes I think I've ever seen. And the one must be from the old East German Olympic team judging by the amount of beard. (Shudder!)

You weren't happy with the booth babes we had at expo east this year!?!?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The 6.0 upgrades are almost done, should be setting the body back down later this week after we undercoat the body. Head studs, gaskets, heads checked for cracks, injectors, some deletes along with our normal 6.0 upgrades. She'll be a smooth runner now!

Kept the Torchmate busy today cutting fuel tank kits and a run of airbag mounts.

12507590_1112683378750889_1176288976699110769_n.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Neighbor walked in yesterday and asked to borrow V4 to move a hot tub. Thats my baby, nobody drives it but me and one or 2 other guys! Did;t want to leave them hanging so I said I would help. Coldest day of the year, perfect for moving a hot tub!

12524005_1111703072182253_8389168661477104910_n.jpg

Looks like V4 needs moar lift! ;)

radorsch

Adventurer
Yeah, how did You get the tub down... Or is it a lot lighter than it looks?
Although, it think a hottub mounted on V4 would be almost as cool as the Sherpa!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Any way to mount the hot tub on top of a reinforced Sherpa? Would be one heck of a roof top "tent." ;)

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
1) I have read and heard a lot about the differences between the 96 model year 7.3 diesel engines and the subsequent years. Being a newbie to diesels (and vans in general) is there anything I should be worried about pumping tons of money into a 96 model year vs possibly looking for a later model 7.3 (which would probably be impossible to find in the condition of my 96')?

I picked up my 1996 PSD E350 with ~60k miles. The issues I have run into have been related to the van sitting for so long in a dry climate before I got it.

The main ones being:
  1. Fuel pump seal started weeping. The older 7.3's have a mechanical lift pump. I chose to switch to electric fuel to ensure that I would never have to deal with the mech pump again (among other benefits).
  2. Water pump seal started weeping on my recent trip to baja. I'll be digging into this over the weekend and should be able to determine if it was related to the van being dormant (potentially corroding the pump shaft seal un-equally).
  3. Door seals are old. I'm planning on replacing all of these but it's not very high on the list.

Other than that the van has been fantastic, has never left me stranded, and has bulldozed through 1000's of miles of BFE exploration.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yeah, how did You get the tub down... Or is it a lot lighter than it looks?
Although, it think a hottub mounted on V4 would be almost as cool as the Sherpa!

5 guys is what it tool. Not too heavy, ~500lbs.

^^^^ ---This, full of booth babes of less hairyness.

Good idea :)

Any way to mount the hot tub on top of a reinforced Sherpa? Would be one heck of a roof top "tent." ;)

Yea that would be..... sketchy!

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
I picked up my 1996 PSD E350 with ~60k miles. The issues I have run into have been related to the van sitting for so long in a dry climate before I got it.

The main ones being:
  1. Fuel pump seal started weeping. The older 7.3's have a mechanical lift pump. I chose to switch to electric fuel to ensure that I would never have to deal with the mech pump again (among other benefits).
  2. Water pump seal started weeping on my recent trip to baja. I'll be digging into this over the weekend and should be able to determine if it was related to the van being dormant (potentially corroding the pump shaft seal un-equally).
  3. Door seals are old. I'm planning on replacing all of these but it's not very high on the list.

Other than that the van has been fantastic, has never left me stranded, and has bulldozed through 1000's of miles of BFE exploration.

I have a 1996 7.3 Powerstoke, it's the truck version, but my experience is similar to Natery's. Mine had ~185k miles on it when I got it, has over 200k now. Fuel pump died @195k, water pump started weeping, and serpentine belt idler lost the ball bearings and threw the belt. No other issues (knock on wood)

Most scan tools can't read PSD specific codes. Recommend you get Auto Enginuity scan tool (runs through a laptop) with the SP03 Ford Enhanced bundle. Auto Enginuity can do the various diagnostics such as injector buzz test, key on engine off checks, key on engine running, cylinder contribution test, etc. Well worth the $360 I got mine from Riff Raff diesel cheaper than it was on the Auto Enginuity website. http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/autoenginuity-total-ford-enhanced-bundle/

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Pssst, I can do buzz tests from my phone with the BT OBD2 dongle and read any codes too.
Free apps these days are amazing.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Pshawww. Apps schmaps. I can test the injectors on my idi by turning the key and suddenly finding out my van runs like crap. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven