VW Westfalia advice.

Paddlevan

Observer
Just for reference, I've had a subaru swaped Westy for 5 years and some 30K miles and the only problem I've had is an alternator and alternator/ PS belt. Subaru conversions are all about the install. i did mine myself went over every detail and it's good, I let my wife take trips all the time. Now the rest of the vanagon requires constant attention to keep in tip top shape and that's not going to change its 20+ years old.
I love my subies glad the conversion worked out great!!!

oneuglynerd

Observer
This is my first post but I think I can chime in as a owner of 4 westies and a VW westy rental business. www.retrobusrental.com . I personally wouldn't do it, although I love these old buses and all their charm there are a limitless amount of obstacles that you could potentially be up against. Availability of parts and qualified mechanics would be two of the greatest issues with any older bus and especially the 1973 and above models. Anything below that year will get you a bug motor and although there will be more parts and they will be cheaper it's not like you can just walk into pep boys and buy them. Also with this vehicle being a potential expedition use vehicle that issue will be compounded as you get to more remote locations. These vehicles can be reliable, but you really have to know how to drive them and not tear up the transmissions. If you do tear up a transmission forget even trying to get it fixed. There are very few shops that will even consider breaking open the case of one. Legroom is going to be tough if your over 6ft tall and of course the weak heaters and lack of a/c can be uncomfortable. They actually did come with an a/c option in their later years but that will rob even more power from a very underpowered vehicle. As a weekend camper or even small trips its a great vehicle to stay close to home in. Please don't get me wrong they can be used for your purpose but I wouldn't even consider it if you weren't prepared to have someone on standby with all your parts that is willing to send them to you overnight if needed. Also learn the basics, get the Robert bentley manual and the how to keep your volkswagon alive books so you can fix them yourself. As for their off road potential go to youtube an you will see them doing some amazing things that some 4x4's would have trouble doing. I've read a lot of people saying get one and get a Subaru motor put in. That is wishful thinking as A. it will cost a fortune (the last one I saw was going for 50k and B. No mechanic will touch it except the guy that put it in. Considering your purpose for this car that probably wouldn't work. I wish I could say do it but I think you'd have more trouble than fun. Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I can definitely help you out.

Navman

Adventurer
I have an '80 Westy that I've owned for 1/2 of its 30 years. When it was a daily driver I was completely comfortable with it's reliability and capabilities. Since I haven't driven it much in the last 3 years I've lost some of that confidence. I got to the point where I almost convinced myself that I couldn't go further than my driveway unless I exchanged it for a fully loaded $100k Sportsmobile.

Then I read the last issue of Overland Journal and the article of where they drove Tuk-tuks (!!) the length of the Karakorum highway. It made me laugh. If they can do that, then I think I can still manage taking the VW on a trip to Baja.

I am not a mechanic, but I know my vehicle well. It is well maintained and almost everything has been replaced now with 220k miles on it. Sure, it is good for a breakdown and tow every two years, but that is what AAA premium membership is for. The downside is that parts are becoming harder to find, and I imagine the number of knowledgeable mechanics will start to dwindle as the years go on.

And what's all this complaining about driving Vanagon in wind?? That is the most exciting thing about driving them. Well, next to passing Ferraris on the freeway. Driving Vanagons in a strong cross-wind is the best way to practice your countersteering technique. Add a couple of big rigs to the mix and it gets real exciting.

I am really glad I have a simple air-cooled Vanagon. If I was starting from scratch though, I would agree with 2aroundtheworld(?) and look for a '91 2wd.

justfred

Adventurer
Options

I enjoyed reading this thread, as I've run through the same questions myself (and still do!).

I had an 87 Westy, bought it specifically for a two month 4000 mile camping trip around the western US. I paid top dollar - $15,000 - and got it newly refurbished from a shop in LA that's known for them - sort of a discount GoWesty. It worked out great, though it was slightly underpowered, it got great gas mileage and worked great to camp in. The fridge never worked well, nor did the air conditioner. And at least once I scraped the bottom on rocks. The entire trip I was a little nervous about reliability but other than occasional oil light panic, I never had any problems. Kept it a few years, used it for weekend trips and loaned to a friend who was semi-homeless for a year. Had the leaks and battery gremlins fixed a few times. I too would buy a new (couple of years old) syncro if they existed.

Thing is, it always felt like a tin can. I'm used to the solid feel of the Land Rover (Discovery, previously other Series IIa vehicles). There's nothing different about the syncro that would make it feel more solid.

I ended up selling it because I didn't have the driveway space and I liked the Pinzgauer more, tho it's been less useful for anything other than taking up driveway space. Still feel like that was a mistake, but sometimes you have to go with love over usefulness.

Lately I take the Disco on camping trips, but I'm not happy with the fact that I can't sleep in it and frankly it doesn't have that much cargo space, especially when loaded with tent, mattress pads, coolers, food bins, shade structure, etc.

My current plan, if and when I can afford it, is one of the following:

-Get the Pinz running well again. It seems when I drive it regularly it tends to be flawless, but when I let it sit for a couple of months it gets cranky, especially battery/starter/gas tank/carb. In any case, nothing a few dead presidents can't fix. Then find a thrashed or wrecked Westy and mount the poptop, beds, and some of the camping gear in the back of the Pinz. My wife will hate it, I'm sure, she already dislikes riding in it and having to climg into the back. Maybe she can fly out and meet me at the camping area. But otherwise it would be perfect for off-highway camping. I'm hesitant to take it to Mexico lately, as I've heard stories of military-like vehicles being commandeered by the Federales. But the political situation south of the border is a whole other thread.

(or)

-Sell the Pinz, get a Sprinter, build it out as a camper. So much for the 4x4, in exchange I'd get great gas mileage, solid boring diesel, and lots and lots and lots of space for builtins and other stuff.

(or)

-Invent and sell a product that everyone needs (I never dream of winning the lottery), then get a nice Adventurewagon. And/or a Grumman Albatross.

Last edited:

Wonderland

Explorer
We have a early 70's Westie in addition to our truck.

I do love the Westie, but it is more of nostalgia thing than anything. If I had all the time (and money) in the world. It would be my choice to travel in. A "Take it Easy" form of travel.

However, being an American with very little time off so to speak. I have to haul *** to get some place for vacation. I take the truck every time over the Westie. I need the power and speed of the truck.

Ultimate for me would a Sportsmobile, power speed, & Westie layout...maybe one day!

Used Syncros are waaaay over priced, saw one for over $100K!!! You got to be kidding me!

Navman

Adventurer
We have a early 70's Westie in addition to our truck.

I do love the Westie, but it is more of nostalgia thing than anything. If I had all the time (and money) in the world. It would be my choice to travel in. A "Take it Easy" form of travel.

However, being an American with very little time off so to speak. I have to haul *** to get some place for vacation. I take the truck every time over the Westie. I need the power and speed of the truck.

Ultimate for me would a Sportsmobile, power speed, & Westie layout...maybe one day!

Used Syncros are waaaay over priced, saw one for over $100K!!! You got to be kidding me!

I totally agree and that's why I haven't used mine much lately. It's easier, faster, and more comfortable to take the LR or Subaru for those quick trips. Although it sure is nice when you arrive at a campsite in the dark and you don't have to fumble with a tent.

I've been dreaming of a SMB for years, but I just don't know anymore. Maybe if they were 1/2 the price and got twice the gas mileage. I would really love to see VW do a modern version of the Vanagon.

skysix

Adventurer
The massive jump in price from 2wd to Syncro, and the significant cost adders for retrofitting lockers, etc. are barriers to entry for me. The fact that a 20 year old Syncro Westfalia costs $18k-$25k while a 2WD version can be had in SoCal for $5k-$8k is a real pisser.

Check out the link below

1992 1.9TD Synchro with (I think) 16" wheels and Westphalia conversion for about $18k in Germany.

Not much of a saving when all is said and done, but 16" Synchro's are rare. If you use the same site search function for VW / T3 / 4x4 / manual / Diesel there are about 40 hits. Some as low as $3k. Buy then convert using a scrapped Westphalia....

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?lang=en&id=124479168&pageNumber=2&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&makeModelVariant1.makeId=25200&makeModelVariant1.modelId=44%2C45%2C46&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&vehicleCategory=Car&segment=Car&transmission=MANUAL_GEAR&siteId=GERMANY&features=FOUR_WHEEL_DRIVE&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT&customerIdsAsString=&categories=Van&categories=OffRoad&tabNumber=3

Wonderland

Explorer
I totally agree and that's why I haven't used mine much lately. It's easier, faster, and more comfortable to take the LR or Subaru for those quick trips. Although it sure is nice when you arrive at a campsite in the dark and you don't have to fumble with a tent.

I've been dreaming of a SMB for years, but I just don't know anymore. Maybe if they were 1/2 the price and got twice the gas mileage. I would really love to see VW do a modern version of the Vanagon.

Oh the VW is great to fart around in. Love it for that. Just use it to cruise around, however long road trips are a fricken pain if you are in a hurry, which typically I am. I just want to get there. I need to cruise at 75-80 not 50. :sombrero:

The modern version would be the Toyota HiAce 4WD. I would take that over a Sportsmobile, too bad we can't get them here.

My buddy did score a gas Ford E150 4WD for $17K, it doesn't do too bad on gas. While it isn't a setup like an RV, it does work. All you really need is a sleeping platform or a foldout seat that converts into a bed, a camp stove and your done.

$80K for a Syncro! What are these guys smoking!? You can pick up a used Sportsmobile for $60K

http://www.gowesty.com/vehicle_details.php?id=1241

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader

I would really love to see VW do a modern version of the Vanagon.

I am of the same thinking as you guys. So I went with the Astro build. It cruises nicely at 80 with the ATs on, a little looser with the MTs.

While I like the interior room of the SMB, I simply didn't want to drive a full size van around in the tighter Washington mountain trails and downtown to the micro breweries, etc. I like the sporty feel and nimbleness of the Astro.

As much as I like the "modern vanagon version" concept, the reality is it would have a $60k price tag and I'm discouraged with modern VW reliability. If I'm going to pay that much, I'd like to see a van on a new Tacoma platform with all its lockers, low range, etc.

CSG

Explorer
Finding a two-wheel drive Pleasure Way Traverse offers much of the best of both worlds. Mine is built on a 2002 E250 Ford chassis and reliably gets 16-18 MPG with the 5.4 and 3:73 rear end. I've been debating doing a 4x4 conversion on it but am coming closer to just getting a series 100 LC/LX for those back country trips the van won't get me into.

Having to do nothing more than park and pop the top (and I don't even always do that) is worth a LOT for those short 1-3 day trips. No set-up, no take down. The van has a refer, stove, heater, pressurized water and a comfy bed (a second is in the pop-up).

You can find them for much better prices (when you can find them) than Sportsmobiles but they are two-wheel drives until you do a conversion. If I were to sell mine, I suspect I could get $23-24k almost as soon as it hit craigslist. And mine has less than 47k miles.

http://pleasureway.com/models_ford_traverse.php

4123630909_9a16654000_o.jpg

stclair

Adventurer
So we flew out to California a few weeks ago, and picked up our 1988 Westfalia. We took a couple weeks off to drive it back to VA. It was a blast ! I can't wait to take it out on another long trip. We're thinking about taking 6 weeks this summer to go up to New England, and then go West. Between now and then, we'll be adding a few things to it. Van camping is great !

vwexpeditioner

good luck with the 88 westy. i have no experience with the later vw stuff but i can tell you my 57' bus with westy interior and some personal mods has done me well. i have built the whole thing from a shell and it helps to know your rig. i did 4 weeks and 6000 miles with no real problems or any roadside events. also many weekend trips of 1000 miles or less. i think the thing is awsome and would suggest any vw pre1970. (no experience with the newer ones.) i know for a fact full sized american vans don't go where i do (to big). although i travel at 60mph i see the same vehicles passing me 3 to 4 times on a long trip. besides where's the fire your on vacation for crying out loud.

632763.jpg

jared

www.backroadbus.com

Navman

Adventurer
So we flew out to California a few weeks ago, and picked up our 1988 Westfalia. We took a couple weeks off to drive it back to VA. It was a blast ! I can't wait to take it out on another long trip. We're thinking about taking 6 weeks this summer to go up to New England, and then go West. Between now and then, we'll be adding a few things to it. Van camping is great !

Congratulations! And smart move coming out to CA to get one. They can be more expensive, but usually not much if any rust.

Mine has been from Key West to Northern Vermont and all through the West. It's done quite a few long trips. When you're gone for more than a few days you realize how great these things really are. You don't have to pack and unpack every day. Just pop the top and drop the top.

I've been looking for an 86-90 to replace my '80 but every time I look at one, I realize how good mine really is. I think I'm going to keep mine and maybe redo the interior. I think it's good for another 30 years.

stclair

Adventurer
I agree with NAVMAN. It was so nice to pull into a camping spot, pop the top, and call it done. I'll keep my Jeep, or some type of SUV for local stuff. However, anything more than a night or two, I'll be taking the Westfalia. It's incredible how well this thing is laid out. Other than a few small mods, I'm not going to mess with it. It does need tires, so I think I'll upgrade. Also I'll add another battery, and an inverter. Go Westy sells a swing out bumper that I like as well. Anyway, here it is in Joshua Tree our second day with it. Thanks again to everyone for the advise.

C:\Users\owner\Pictures\Westy 1st Trip\115.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3