VW Westfalia advice.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
For those that don't find themselves in the VW Bus/Vanagon mentality of..."It's the journey...Man!". http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/smilies/costumed-smiley-007.gif http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/smilies/victory.gif There are other alternatives, and I'm sure these have been covered here on the Portal, but I will share mine.
CIMG0055.jpg

It's a different van now. For example: Stevens Pass with the old motor 45mph avg. Zetec I can do 70 if I choose to.

A Westy does not work for me as well. 3 dogs, bikes I like to keep inside, It's a work in progress. Dual battery powering ARB fridge, invertor and 12 volts sockets. Playing with the layout inside for a cabinet of some sort that is secure but easily removable, say at camp. I've upgraded the suspension. Installed a de-coupler, TBD, lockers front and rear and I'm now trying to design some rock protection for the motor because the stock rock guard won't fit with the new motor.

These vans are not for everbody.

QUOTE]

Dude, that is a sweet looking rig and it sounds like you've put a lot of thought and effort into it.

I agree about the interior. As cool as the Westy type interiors are, my Astro is much more utiitarian without it and I too am drawing up just a simple fridge cabinet and countertop, but want it removable to haul seven passengers etc.

Incidently, my 3 Konas are a Stinky Deluxe, a Dawg Primo, and a Unit 29er with gears.

We'll have to hook up and get together for a little van run.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I drove my friend's Warren Syncro last weekend - it has a Subaru 2.5 in it.

The difference in power is unbelievable. It changes the whole experience.
I had so much fun driving the van I did not want to stop.

In my opinion, the handling of a Vanagon is more sporty.german-like and way more fun than an American van.

So if you add power, it becomes a whole new car.
Hence my quest now for a 2.5

:)

3konas

Observer
QUOTE]

Dude, that is a sweet looking rig and it sounds like you've put a lot of thought and effort into it.

I agree about the interior. As cool as the Westy type interiors are, my Astro is much more utiitarian without it and I too am drawing up just a simple fridge cabinet and countertop, but want it removable to haul seven passengers etc.

Incidently, my 3 Konas are a Stinky Deluxe, a Dawg Primo, and a Unit 29er with gears.

We'll have to hook up and get together for a little van run.[/QUOTE]

Hey Thanks! I've been away for awhile and just noticed this.
I would be interested in what you come up with for a cabinet. The van came with jump seats facing rearwards that I no longer use that are quick to remove. I'm hoping to incorporate the jump seat attachment into the cabinet.

My Konas are a Hei Hei converted to singlespeed, King Kahuna, Jake the Snake.

I'm in for the van run. I love Bham!

4AFK

Observer
I agree with NAVMAN. It was so nice to pull into a camping spot, pop the top, and call it done. I'll keep my Jeep, or some type of SUV for local stuff. However, anything more than a night or two, I'll be taking the Westfalia. It's incredible how well this thing is laid out. Other than a few small mods, I'm not going to mess with it. It does need tires, so I think I'll upgrade. Also I'll add another battery, and an inverter. Go Westy sells a swing out bumper that I like as well. Anyway, here it is in Joshua Tree our second day with it. Thanks again to everyone for the advise.

Stclair,

About a year and a half ago we made the same leap and I can't tell you how much fun its been. Don't pay attention to the nay sayers, seriously; there's a reason that people are putting and keeping these old camper platforms on the road. You're as likely to be on the side of the road fiddeling with a VW as you are with anything else this old and its quite possible that the parts you need are available and easy to come by.

My van is a 2wd, diesel with a high-top conversion from TimberTech. I average about 32 MPG with this rig and fuel availability hasn't ever been a problem. The power plant was replaced. The original was a 1.6l NA diesel that the previous owner had hacked onm a turbo. I replaced the whole thing with a 1.9l NA 1Y/AAZ combo and kept it simple leaving the turbo off. I can reach and hold 70 MPH, but rarely do.

In addition to this site may I suggest that you take a look at thesamba.com. Lots of useful info there, good luck with your rig.

5786164768_57b39052aa_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3