VW Westfalia advice.

robert

Expedition Leader
Like this? :victory:
IMGP2055.jpg

I restored this one some years ago and it could use a good going over again- I kinda sorta live out of it and carry a lot of stuff in it so some wear and tear is to be expected. My biggest gripes are that it's slow (usually not an issue, but it can get frustrating at times when you need to accelerate or pass) and that it's hot even with the windows down (the heat actually works well if the system is in good shape and you insulate the bus). I guess I'm just getting older, but I miss A/C when it's really hot out.

It will go a pretty amazing amount of places- more than you'd really want to take it- with decent tires (very hard to find properly rated tires in a 14").

I keep talking about buying a full-sized van since it'd give me more room, allow me to carry stuff on top, go faster, etc but I never seem to get around to it. :smiley_drive:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Astro vans [...] Not a huge hike in price for AWD like you'll find with the Syncro.

This is one of the key points that keeps me coming back to the Astro/Safari for my build.

There seems to be little to no price premium for AWD on the Astro vans (they're just a bit more rare so you have to be more patient), and the conversion from AWD to 4x4 is cheap, cheap, CHEAP.

The massive jump in price from 2wd to Syncro, and the significant cost adders for retrofitting lockers, etc. are barriers to entry for me. The fact that a 20 year old Syncro Westfalia costs $18k-$25k while a 2WD version can be had in SoCal for $5k-$8k is a real pisser.

As a multi-decade Subaru guy, I spent a lot of time strongly leaning towards a Syncro vanagon because I already have access to lots of Subaru parts and know-how. An EJ22 or EJ33 swap would be cheap and relatively easy for me, but finding a syncro westie to put it into that didn't cost my first born is another matter.

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Don't get me wrong; I really came close to going the VW route. But personally, at the end of the day, I can't see devoting that much attention to maintaining/repairing a man made object; especially one designed and built by someone else. If I have 2 hrs to spend, I want to be on the water or on the trail for an hour 55, not spending time chasing down mechanical issues before I can go ride or paddle. My Gas Gas takes enough of my time with post ride maintainance. My Astro, I ride it hard and put it away wet, for the most part.

If I could get this 5 yrs old instead of 20 yrs old, and the reliability and performance marks were much higher, for $25k or less, that would be my Kona Dawg Primo on the back instead of that old Cannondale hardtail. I love the forward control idea giving you max interior space for a given exterior footprint and wheelbase.

I think they are the coolest looking vehicles on the road.

aeswingladder.jpg

End of "to VW or Not to VW" debate; back to "which VW" debate.

Last edited:

Beachboyy

Adventurer
I am in the market for a Vanagon Westy in the Northwest if anyone knows of a good one for sale. $6-8K range. Wish I had the cash for a syncro....maybe someday.

stclair

Adventurer
Such great advice from everyone here. So we have narrowed it down to a 1987-1991 Full Camper. Just hunting for the right (rust free) van now. I'll post when we find one. Thanks!

sanchius

This is one of the key points that keeps me coming back to the Astro/Safari for my build.

I agree, particularly when you end up with the beauty that you built. I have both a stock '96 Astro and a '87 VW Syncro, both with about 250K miles on them. I've discovered that the Astro vs Vanagon choice has some intangibles involved as well. Here's an updated repost from something I wrote on thesamba.com a while ago

Our Astro does almost everything better than our Syncro; it is way faster, quieter, more comfortable and much more (although not 100%) reliable. I consider the Astro to be a very fast moving appliance that can haul lots of stuff and tow a good sized load. With airbags... Herbie with the lifted 4WD poptop Astro is definitely on the right track.

But, because of the few things that our Syncro does better:
- the cab-forward seating & picture window windshield,
- the z-bed & curtains for stealth naps anywhere,
- and, most importantly, that intangible cool^4 factor,
I always choose to drive the Syncro over the Astro.

While maintaining the Astro is a straight cost-vs-value proposition that will terminate with the Astro getting recycled the instant that ratio exceeds 1.0, I find myself going to illogical lengths to keep our Syncro going. If I'd had the Astro's transmission in/out 5 times in the last 3 months trying to get the rear main seal to hold, it would be gone. If I was looking at a multi-thousand dollar engine conversion just to make the Astro reliable & powerful enough to not be a rolling-roadblock, it would be gone.

Not so with the Syncro. I find myself spending my precious days off researching conversion options and running spreadsheets to map out the process and costs. And having fun doing it. The fact that the Syncro has been given a name while the Astro is just "The Astro" speaks for itself.

The bottom line was that, in spite of all the things the newer van does so much better, I still greatly prefer to drive my Syncro. So much so, in fact, that I choose to set aside good economic judgment and keep the Syncro going long beyond when I would have junked a newer vehicle. And, when we purchase our next car, it'll be the Astro that goes away, not the Syncro.

There's something about these old VW buses...

2816932989_e6f7641bea_o.jpg

Last edited:

stclair

Adventurer
Awesome van! I keep coming to the same conclusion. Even though another van might be more practical, I just love these things. I get excited every time I see one on the road.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
well put...

"But, because of the few things that our Syncro does better:
- the cab-forward seating & picture window windshield,
- the z-bed & curtains for stealth naps anywhere,
- and, most importantly, that intangible cool^4 factor,
I always choose to drive the Syncro over the Astro."

That is why I drool over them too! You summed it up in five lines. PS great looking van!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Herbie with the lifted 4WD poptop Astro is definitely on the right track.

Just to clarify, my 4x4 Astro camper is at the very earliest stages. The "finished" van belongs to T.Low, and I am shamelessly copying his work. Oddly, I even have the same color van as a base!

But I agree wholeheartedly, the "Astro Westfalia" or "Astrolander", as Tom calls it, hits a sweet spot as far as vans go. The decision for me would have been harder if we could buy new or near-new syncros (for a reasonable price) today....

pnwkayaker

Not so with the Syncro. I find myself spending my precious days off researching conversion options and running spreadsheets to map out the process and costs. And having fun doing it. The fact that the Syncro has been given a name while the Astro is just "The Astro" speaks for itself.

The bottom line was that, in spite of all the things the newer van does so much better, I still greatly prefer to drive my Syncro. So much so, in fact, that I choose to set aside good economic judgment and keep the Syncro going long beyond when I would have junked a newer vehicle. And, when we purchase our next car, it'll be the Astro that goes away, not the Syncro.

There's something about these old VW buses...

Same here, except that I've already bought the new Zetec (0 mileage !) and the Bostig kit, hope to have it installed next month :wings:

I have a Syncro Westy 87 that I saved from premature death (the previous owner was pruning it to death, he pulled out anything that wasn't working instead of repairing/upgrading it). I'm on a quest to make it a very reliable expedition vehicle (want to travel with wife and 2 kids in the near future).

I've done lots of mods and upgrades so far, and lots more are coming. As some other Samba member has said, I don't want to tally all the money I've spent on it, however, I know is money well spent (I cannot see myself spending that much money on a Sportsmobile or other camper/expedition vehicle). Fortunately, my wife is very supportive, she loves to go out on the Syncro)

Last edited:

Paddlevan

Observer
Westy, Passenger (weekender ) Now SMB

I have had 1 type 2 and 3 vanagons and 7 Subarus (including a brat)
Here are the hard questions
1) if you do a Subaru conversion will you feel comfortably with your wife driving it 100 miles away from you???
2) If you do a Tiico conversion can you get parts south of San Diego??
3) if you add a simple diesel rabbit engine Fastforward CA at least you are safe in Latin america for service
4) do you ever plan on pulling a trailer uphill??
5) Do you have the discipline to get rid of stuff???
7) will 5-7k in system revamps upgrades dent your travel budget
8) Do you want diesel or gas??
9) will you only be traveling with 2 people most of the time??

Answer these questions then choose freely

Paddlevan

Last edited:

2manytoys

My son has a 1966 vw bus with a camper conversion and has put 9000 miles on it in the last 3 years. So far (knock on wood) he has never had to work on it on the side of the road or been stranded anywhere. The worst has been a alternator failure. But everything mechanical was gone though Just like you should on any expedition vehicle. With that being said unless you plan driving 55-60 on flat hwy's with no wind. build a full size domestic van. He has offered many times to let me take it but i cant handle driving that slow lol. If you do build a VW I'd stay with a pre. 1972 with the bug style engine parts are available about anywhere that way ( the air cooled bug was still made in Mexico until 2003 and the bay style bus in Brazil until 2002 if i remember right)
heres a site about some overland travels in a bus http://www.vwvagabonds.com/

sons camper:
4018188051_947ef9e75a.jpg

Antelope

Just for reference, I've had a subaru swaped Westy for 5 years and some 30K miles and the only problem I've had is an alternator and alternator/ PS belt. Subaru conversions are all about the install. i did mine myself went over every detail and it's good, I let my wife take trips all the time. Now the rest of the vanagon requires constant attention to keep in tip top shape and that's not going to change its 20+ years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3