Weekender expeditioner from colorado LJ Rubicon

86cj

Explorer
I would not change a thing, I love the mobility and off road prowess I have with the LJ set up completely self sufficient.

I agree the LJ can be comfortable enough to handle thousands of miles in a few days on the freeway, I have went 850 and 1000 miles only stopping for gas and food.

Our LJ will carry enough gear for two people to stay in the woods for 3-5 days on average with no cumbersome trailer. The most I have spent is 17 days in a row living out of ours.

I run BDS 3" springs now with rear Air lift bags, I have a set of AEV 3" springs ready to install. I am going to put the bags in the springs again, unless some Air Bumps get welded on.

I have really been considering a new rear axle and wonder if I should look into a Leaf spring set up and ditch the links and coils in the rear. I am always loaded so empty ride is not a concern, I would go spring under just like a J8. The LJ frame length after the gas tank could keep the shackle from sticking out past the bumper. I like the coil spring ride but hate the rear steer wiggle, it feels un-refined to say the least.

A custom leaf set up could be just what Expo LJ's need out back.............

ccarm

Adventurer
I also have logged some terribly long trips in my LJ...1000, 1200 miles in a day or two. They're comfortable, for a jeep wrangler, and have more than enough room for two people's stuff. Love the maggiolina RTT, it fits perfectly. Also, the jerry can design looks like something transplanted from the willys jeeps in WWII. Well done.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thanks for the update wardrow. I've always liked the way you've set up your LJ. I'm probably gonna have to swap rear springs on our LJ soon and was thinking of using the AEV 3 inchers. Now I don't have nearly as heavy a rig as yours appears, so do you think the AEVs would hold fine on a lesser weight LJ?

klaykrusher

I've been using the AEV 3" for a while. I don't carry near the weight of wardrow, and mine are holding up fine. I would definitely recommend them over a non-progressive for the LJ.

wardrow

Adventurer
Hey guys, I loved my AEV springs for about the first 6 months! The problem I am having and many of you will also is that the "PROGRESSIVE" wound part of the spring completely collapses and the rear of the jeep feels like your driving on noodles. I would love to have a rear leaf spring set up, but I have already got reinforced control arm mounts with a full rokmen control arm system with johnny joints ready for Dana 60's. If I had any idea my jeep was going to end up so heavy, I would have gone the route of rear leaf springs. If any of you foresee a fridge, RTT, gerry cans, safari tank, or armor in your future, I would stay away from mass produced coils made buy anybody and jump strait to custom or a leaf swap!

just my experience. :smiley_drive:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Hey guys, I loved my AEV springs for about the first 6 months! The problem I am having and many of you will also is that the "PROGRESSIVE" wound part of the spring completely collapses and the rear of the jeep feels like your driving on noodles. I would love to have a rear leaf spring set up, but I have already got reinforced control arm mounts with a full rokmen control arm system with johnny joints ready for Dana 60's. If I had any idea my jeep was going to end up so heavy, I would have gone the route of rear leaf springs. If any of you foresee a fridge, RTT, gerry cans, safari tank, or armor in your future, I would stay away from mass produced coils made buy anybody and jump strait to custom or a leaf swap!

just my experience. :smiley_drive:

Wardrow - great write up and build up. I was considering the AEV progressives until I calculated my total trip weight. I am looking at something around 6000# when I am fully loaded. Did you ever weigh your rig?

I am seriously considering a set of air springs for my LJ Rubicon. I do not want the automatic leveling setup that ORO sells, just a 4-channel pressure based system. I think the Firestone bags are up to the task, but have to get the specs for them. My rig is also my DD, so I would like to be able to ramp the rate up/down as needed.

-JD-

Observer
1. I mounted the water can holders near the front for weight distribution, and frankly couldn't find another place to mount them.

2. I stand corrected, my acos are not cranked up at all, here are some pics
Wardrow, belated thanks for the pics! Suspension work starts in March.

wardrow

Adventurer
U guys do know we make a "B" rate rear spring specifically for heavy unlimited's and Brutes? They are made in both 3.0" and 4.5".

dh

I have the "B" rate springs! I did get my Jeep weighed, 5,800 LBS, Before Gerry cans, Wife, Dogs and food in the Engel 45, and a weight of 3,700 rear axle. The "B" rate springs can handle this weight only if its for short periods of time, but you will squat and your Jeep handle like crap. If I didn't have a base weight of 5,800 LBS I am quit sure my "B" rate springs would do just fine. My custom coils are on order and I will let everyone know how they work.

wardrow

Adventurer
Wardrow - great write up and build up. I was considering the AEV progressives until I calculated my total trip weight. I am looking at something around 6000# when I am fully loaded. Did you ever weigh your rig?

I am seriously considering a set of air springs for my LJ Rubicon. I do not want the automatic leveling setup that ORO sells, just a 4-channel pressure based system. I think the Firestone bags are up to the task, but have to get the specs for them. My rig is also my DD, so I would like to be able to ramp the rate up/down as needed.

I tried a set of 'inside spring air bags'. I took the Jeep to Death Valley and let me tell how nicely it improved the ride on the way down their from Montana! But, the wash board roads and mild trails of Death Vally caused my air lines to split wide open, leaving the bags worthless! The inside spring air bags call for you to drill a 3/4" hole in the base spring perch, I drilled my out to 1" and I even wrapped the air line in 1/4" electric looming and still tore up the lines.

The problem with this application is that the bags are made to stay on the bottom wounds of the spring and under a semi constant load. The failure of the springs comes in when you "FLEX" your suspension, causing the spring to "HOLD ON TO THE AIR BAG" and in essence it puts a strong pull on the air lines, causing them to weaken. I flexed my jeep out to max during my install so I could compensate for airbag travel and allowed for adequate excess air line, but the lines still broke. I think the airbags are a great idea but just not for off-road use. Personally, I would stay away from anything AIR related for the suspension in an expedition rig.

Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I tried a set of 'inside spring air bags'. I took the Jeep to Death Valley and let me tell how nicely it improved the ride on the way down their from Montana! But, the wash board roads and mild trails of Death Vally caused my air lines to split wide open, leaving the bags worthless! The inside spring air bags call for you to drill a 3/4" hole in the base spring perch, I drilled my out to 1" and I even wrapped the air line in 1/4" electric looming and still tore up the lines.

The problem with this application is that the bags are made to stay on the bottom wounds of the spring and under a semi constant load. The failure of the springs comes in when you "FLEX" your suspension, causing the spring to "HOLD ON TO THE AIR BAG" and in essence it puts a strong pull on the air lines, causing them to weaken. I flexed my jeep out to max during my install so I could compensate for airbag travel and allowed for adequate excess air line, but the lines still broke. I think the airbags are a great idea but just not for off-road use. Personally, I would stay away from anything AIR related for the suspension in an expedition rig.

I was referring to a complete air spring like ORO's AirRock setup. I agree that a "inside the coil spring" air bag is not the hot ticket for a long travel suspension. A street car is fine, but not a Jeep.

I have actually researched a Goodyear air spring for the back that has all the capacity I need. As to off-road/expedition type use, I do not think the industrial/commercial air springs are too vulnerable to punctures or cutting. However, I have heard of sharp pebbles getting trapped between the bladder and the lower lobe causing failures. The lines are under much less stress with the full air spring, and can be routed to avoid trail damage. However, I am following your custom spring thread with interest, because that would certainly be the best, least complex means of adding capacity.

86cj

Explorer
I will be really interested how your custom springs work, sometimes it's best to just get what you need. I know I am on a path to a better rear suspension in the coming years, thanks for sharing.

I have had better luck with my air bags, sounds like you gave it a good try. I did use fuel line to cover my air lines though. I might not have the droop you do so mine do OK. I don't think the Air Lift bags are the best solution they do work off road...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Costs are $325-$425 per set and they take about 4 weeks to manufacture. We'll keep you posted regarding performance, service, etc. I am just doing the rear springs, the front AEV springs keep the front rock solid.

You are getting 3 springs right? One for spare?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman