What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Beamer pilot

Explorer
ARB Simpson 3 and Kargomaster expedition rack.
Love the set up, strong as hell...
The RTT takes very little time to open/close for a night trail ride...and I don't mind occasionally using it as an excuse to jump in another Jeep to check out the set up and capability.
I can also mount it on the trailer if not packing the kayaks.
Picture 485.jpg

Espo78

Adventurer
I installed a snorkel over the holiday weekend. No action shots yet, just a few I snapped after I finished the install.

4BFF5DD0-280D-4D7F-902E-1E6816120C27_zps8yq7j6ps.jpg

D497F69D-118F-4C9A-BDFB-8B269DFE9183_zpstqnordzq.jpg

91D44FBE-F476-4602-9C32-8AFC88251290_zpscg820qxq.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Parts gathering again. FINALLY ordered my airlift 1000 airbags I will be installing them next week, can't wait to see how the jeep takes the pop up with them on...

Modeler

W1DCS
Finished the dis-assembly of the ball joints, cleaned and painted the inner Cs and knuckles. Reassembly and replacement of the front DS tomorrow.

Lucky j

Explorer
Put power to my Tj unlimited rear winch, move the optima Yellow top from the Yj to the TJU.

Still more for tomorrow!

pulled out my procomp springs and shocks.... swapped to dual rate metacloak and ome shocks:

Night and day difference for my setup... procomp was a harsh ride that had me dreading every bump in the road... the new combo is nice and smooth, but holds the jeep firm at the same time.

What is your opinion now on OME vs AEV? You are probably one of the few that has run both.

Mike
Well as every rig is different as is the drivers preferences its hard to say which is better in every case, I am alot happier with the ARB coils because I prefer a stiffer ride and I am not a fan of Progressive rate coils on a heavier rig. THe softer area at top of AEV coils wound up just being a spacer on a short coil as they were always compressed. The ARB's are stiffer and it feels alot better around corners with weight on roof.

rubicon91

Explorer
Today I received my Trailgator and got it installed. I love it. I will get my transit bag for my ARB fridge tomorrow and Friday I am ordering the slide for it and hopefully this weekend putting together an easy platform to mount the slide in the rear of my Jeep with plywood bottom. Nothing fancy just paint it and have an access on side where slide is not for access to the storage underneath. Thats the plan anyways in my head. Application is a completely different thing :sombrero:

Attachments

• Trailgator Open.jpg
    Trailgator Open.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Trailgator closed.jpg
    Trailgator closed.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 44

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Well as every rig is different as is the drivers preferences its hard to say which is better in every case, I am alot happier with the ARB coils because I prefer a stiffer ride and I am not a fan of Progressive rate coils on a heavier rig. THe softer area at top of AEV coils wound up just being a spacer on a short coil as they were always compressed. The ARB's are stiffer and it feels alot better around corners with weight on roof.
Interesting.
I'm considering AEV...
How heavy do you run?

I'm usually very light. Almost nothing in the Jeep when I DD.
But when I camp, I have tongue weight and I'm in Sag City. About 250 pounds on the tongue, 250 for me, 120 for the wife, 45 for the dog, and another 250 in gear. It doesn't sound all that heavy but it sure does squat the thing down a bit.

Bill,
With my RTT, Gobi rack, fridge full, dry goods drawers full and 4 passengers and 2 dogs it also squatted a bit. I crawled under and the progressive area was basically a spacer. I spoke with AEV and they gave me and Mario the same advice "Use a 4.5" spring" I worked with Will at Sierra Expeditions and he got me some of the new ARB 100mm (4") heavy springs model numbers are 3046 for rear and 3047 for fronts. I prefer a stiffer ride on my jeep tho as well but I hate the squishiness of American jeep suspensions made so people can go rockcrawling or mall curbhopping.

rubicon91

Explorer
You are not the first I have heard that went this route from what I have seen. Another person who runs heavy switched to them for his I believe 07 JKU that is fully loaded for trips. Actually this is what he wrote over there the other day in regards to them. He was answering a question but you get the just.

I run the OME 300 lb springs on my '07's rear (2.5" TF lift otherwise). A friend with a '12 Rubi had the same configuration. We both had a problem with sag to the bumpstops. Bear in mind, we are heavy--6800 lbs or so. We took two different solutions. He got OME 600 lb springs. I got Timbrens. We both were on the Utah Obscura trip, and we're both pleased with our solutions. I offer this not as advice for what you should do, but as consideration if you think you'll be running very heavy.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks, both of you.

I'm only heavy while trailering to/from a site or on one of my 2-week boondoggles.
Hmmmmm.
AEV still sounds like it might be the right road for me. 90% of my miles are just me, a recovery bag, my CERT bag, and some spare boots. Super light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater