what do jeep guys like as a truck?

goofiefoot

Adventurer
2015-04-23%2012.33.52.jpg

We've loved our 2007 F150. It's my wife's daily driver and our work horse. 8 years and 120k miles, we haven't had any big issues except for broken spark plugs (known issue with the 5.4). I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

AFSOC

Explorer
This past winter I picked up a 2007 Sierra 2500HD with 55,000 miles for the times that the Jeep wasn't suited. It replaced a 2000 Silverado 1500 that I had for years. The Silverado was a really comfortable and reliable rig. It was a shame my son shortened it about 12" in a rear ender or I'd have had it another ten years. At 185,XXX miles it was showing no signs decline.

Metal Man

Fabricator
Only two real Jeep people on this thread, what does a Jeep man get for a truck you ask? A JEEP!!!! J-2000 or MJ all day. I would rather restore a J-2000 and add all the electro crappery to it and have something that would at MINIMUM hold it's value in the long run, than to buy an overpriced luxo turd that looses at least $3000 of value before you even drive it off the lot. I mean the Platinum F-150 is over $50K, what could you do to a J-2000 with a $50K budget? all MHO though LOL.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
I've been lusting after a regular cab (maybeee extended cab), short bed, manual 5.3l chevy... I just think it would be a blast to drive, and I wouldn't get as many requests to help people move stuff. It would definitely have enough storage for my needs with a shell on the bed.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Some one else mentioned it, but that AEV PowerWagon does have some appeal, though I personally would choose the 4 door Brute

ZMagic97

Explorer
I've been lusting after a regular cab (maybeee extended cab), short bed, manual 5.3l chevy... I just think it would be a blast to drive, and I wouldn't get as many requests to help people move stuff. It would definitely have enough storage for my needs with a shell on the bed.

My DD is a 4.3 short bed regular cab...very fun to drive. Easy to whip into parking spots, good on feul, and with a camper shell it has plenty of room for whatever. And nobody sees it as a truck to help them move! :wings:

MudderNutter

Adventurer
My DD is a 4.3 short bed regular cab...very fun to drive. Easy to whip into parking spots, good on feul, and with a camper shell it has plenty of room for whatever. And nobody sees it as a truck to help them move! :wings:

That is exactly what I have envisioned! Haha. I had a 92 f350 reg cab (non dually) long bed, and evverryyoonnee wanted help with something. I loved the truck, but it was just a bit large for driving around when you didn't need to do truck things. It looks like you have a pretty nice stable going!

mr2kxj

I'd LOVE to have an AEV Brute but it's a little rich for my blood. If I were in the market, I'd have to choose between the Power Wagon and the Tacoma. The PW is huge and a little pricey so I'd probably have to go Tacoma.

rnArmy

Adventurer
New truck tires and trailer mods 007.JPG

A second generation Dodge Ram crew cab 4x4. Preferably 96 or newer (that's when they started with the OBD II). You get a small-block V8, solid axles front and rear, and a simple 2" lift front and rear will easily clear 33" tires. Mine's not a crew-cab, but my buddy and I are loading it up with camping gear and taking it up to Alaska and Canada this September for a few weeks. As much as I love my Jeep TJ and little trailer (see avatar picture), this truck will ride a lot smoother (and quieter) during this trip. It's just less work driving the truck.

It's kind-of a Jeep truck (like a Jeep Commanchee on steroids). Or the truck Jeep should have built. Jeep used the 5.2/5.9 engines in their vehicles (as did Dodge), they used the Chrysler 9.25/Dana 44 axles (same as Dodge), the Dodge has the same front and rear suspension set-up as the Jeep Commanchee, and they're all Chrysler vehicles.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I went from a 2 door Jk to a PeeDub to a 4 door JK. The Power Wagon was just too much.
The lockers, swaybar disco, and power were nice. But it sucked gas and couldn't fit anywhere. Took two parking spots and football field to swing a u-turn.

DSCN4742_zps127d2894.jpg

roadtrip2013533_zps43d8c8fe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online