what do jeep guys like as a truck?

aluke0510

Adventurer
Honest opinion if going to a full-size truck I would want a new Ford F150 regular cab short bed with the Ford transit diesel and manual transmission. I highly doubt that would ever be available even special order though and ignoring the manual transmission. When the Transit diesel does show up in the F150 it will likely only be more premium options with 4 doors... A few years ago I was trying to special order a regular cab short bed with a V8 and the dealer said not a chance and if it is accepted would cost more than a premium 4x4 4 door off of a lot.

But I would upgrade suspension and tires. New front and rear bumper (rear bumper capable of carrying a second spare if required. Remove bed and custom utility style bed to hold 10 jerry cans (5 water and 5 fuel) with main spare tire inside bed to keep weight moved forward but get it off the bottom where it smacks and drags and is hard to fit a larger tire and a pain to remove. Side boxes around and above wheels to organise camping gear (minimalist in mind as in dry/canned food, backpacking oriented for everything else); doors to side boxes drop down and serve as tables. Place a hard shell roof top tent on top of the box but still low enough that some vision out of the rear is still available. And a small centre console Waeco fridge to have cold drinks and maybe keep a steak or two cold for a couple days.

Edit:
But that is if I had the money to buy and build that as a dedicated rig as the usefulness for hauling furniture and 2x4's is depleted without adding in a trailer for that stuff.

Last edited:

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I used to be a Chevy guy, but lost respect for them after the bailout (I know, a bit hypocritical.....) but even more so after the ignition switch issue. I'll never buy a new GM product again. If I were to buy a pick-up, my dream truck would be a Raptor for sure, I love those. Realistic choice would be a Tacoma.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I've winched out or towed about anything out there on a trail. Some people want a Ford, others want a GM product some want a Dodge or a Toyota. Whatever, drive what you want. Ever see a '64 VW tow off a Scout out of a 4X4 road?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I have no need for a huge truck, but I do have need for a truck. My DD (which gets driven about once a week) is this ever so slightly lifted and oversized tire-ed V8 Dakota 4x4. 140k miles and so far so good. It's more than enough for what I need and considering my total investment is like $1200 at this point, I wont complain.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have my eye on the new EcoDiesel Ram 1500, we may look at one in a few years after they prove themselves for awhile and I put a few more miles on our current Chevy diesel.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
My Grandpa has a 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro.

I have to say, thats a nice truck.

My dad got his last April. He is in love with it. Says it was his best purchase since the 2004 Tundra Limited 4WD we bought new, at which we still own and is running strong:)

twiisted71

Adventurer
98 Dodge 2500 Ram 2wd, Diesel, Quad Cab, Short bed, Manual trans.

Last mech 12 valve Cummins, 1st year for shortbed 3/4 & 1 tons, 1st year for quad cab.

a Jeep would cover the 4x4/convertible, bob around duty. The Ram can haul, tow, and eat up miles on a trip in comfort all while knocking down VERY respectable mpgs for as long as you want to keep it around! There is a reason you can't find one of these with decent miles for sale EVER. If one pops up its gone before you can dial the number to check it out.
By 98.5 the end of the granite reliable mech injection pump'd diesel pickup was no longer available in the U.S. Who wouldn't like to be able to go to a dealer and drive away in a brand new, full-size, 4-5 seat, diesel, pickup with a reliability record that epitomizes legendary for under $30K?

I just bought a 2011 Ford E350. It will be the newest vehicle I hope to ever buy. The amount of "convenience" items and nanny devices make me cringe when I think of all the potential of things to go kaput. Thankfully I didn't wait and have get one with a mandatory back-up camera that's coming down the pipe. Once they hit they will be part of the "safety" systems and MUST be functional to pass an inspection. Guess how much one of them will cost to replace as they are supposed to be fully integrated as an info/entertainment/vehicle computer system!

Last edited:

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
If I was gonna go out and get a new pickup truck, it would be a Ford or a Ram.

If I was to get a pickup, it would be an old ford, or a first gen Cummins.

If I wanted a trail truck, it would probably be a Jeep comanche or a J truck. Or maybe a Ford Ranger.

As Scooter

Observer
The jeep is my DD, the Raptor is the trip vehicle. I like my jeep, I love my raptor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 67

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have no need for a huge truck, but I do have need for a truck. My DD (which gets driven about once a week) is this ever so slightly lifted and oversized tire-ed V8 Dakota 4x4. 140k miles and so far so good. It's more than enough for what I need and considering my total investment is like $1200 at this point, I wont complain.

I miss my Dakota dearly. I had a 98 v8 sport 4x4 ext cab. It was the perfect size....I had the torsions cranked, and a 2" block in the rear with 33s. was perfect for hunting etc.

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
Overlanding requires that you rely, often with your life, on your vehicle....so if I was going to get a pickup, it would probably be a Toyota of some flavor, or the current ram lineup since the driving gear has been proven over the last decade to be fairly reliable. And AEV ram is quite a sexy thing.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What do Jeep guys like as a truck? This kind of course!

IMG_0226.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Been through a few Ford and Dodge diesels, a GMC gasser and most recently a 2014 Dodge 1 ton Longhorn edition diesel. The GMC was reliable and easy to work on. Definitely wouldn't buy another Ford. The Dodge is great! Put a ton of miles on for work and have absolutely no complaints. The Dodges also have compartments everywhere, great for expo gear.

One week after driving of the lot:
c5f836ca024fcfe929064b8cb68dc9be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach