what do jeep guys like as a truck?

Terex

Adventurer
Next vehicle I get may be a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon diesel. After driving our JGC Overland diesel for a year, my wife and I are diesel converts. My '12 Rubicon 2-door is great, but a little too small to pull our VMI Offroad trailer. With two small diesels, we'd be set for about anything. When we bought our JGC we also looked at a Raptor, a Powerwagon and other full-sized trucks, but we realized that we just didn't need the size and they wouldn't fit into our garage.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I miss my Dakota dearly. I had a 98 v8 sport 4x4 ext cab. It was the perfect size....I had the torsions cranked, and a 2" block in the rear with 33s. was perfect for hunting etc.

My favorite thing about it is the size. Bigger than a ranger or colorado or s10 or whatever, smaller than a full size.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think I'm changing my vote to the new Rebel. I love that new truck. Dr. M. the best part was the 318. What a lovely motor for the Dakota

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
One of these:
evu5ytuv.jpg

Or this one.

2015-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-concept-2014-los-angeles-auto-show_100490832_m.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
The jeep is my DD, the Raptor is the trip vehicle. I like my jeep, I love my raptor.

I would love a Raptor, but its just too big. I thought about traded my Rubicon, but couldn't pull the trigger on something 5 years old still commanding more than I paid for my Rubicon. Top down is still the best thing while driving.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I would love a Raptor, but its just too big. I thought about traded my Rubicon, but couldn't pull the trigger on something 5 years old still commanding more than I paid for my Rubicon. Top down is still the best thing while driving.

Speaking of being too big, a friend just got an F250. I couldn't resist snapping this photo of it next to my Jeep truck...

AlexTruck1_zpsutgkzhmj.jpg

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
I've owned a few trucks before my current rig. They've all had their strengths and weaknesses. Loved my old Dodge Dakota quad cab, 4x4 shortbed with the 4.7 V8. Thing was a workhorse and carried 2000 lbs all day long (had helper springs). I was young and had the loudest exhaust known to man on it, LOL. Moved on to a new GMC 2500HD, Z71 4x4. Hated it for the size but handled the heavy work well. Comfy on pavement but off road it was a big challenge with the weight and transmission never being in the right gear. Now I drive a 99 Ford F150 and will never own another truck. Its the perfect size and comfortable too with the leather, etc. Small enough to manouver off road but enough room for 6 passengers. Considering getting a slide in camper instead of a tent/trailer build for my JKUR. Its that good. And with only 125k on the clock its got plenty of life left in the V8.

Last edited:

gfiero

Adventurer
I've driven company supplied 4x4 pickups and suv's either 1/2 or 3/4 ton. My favorite for a early 99 Dodge D-250, extended cab cumin's with a 5 spd, if I could find one and my wife wasn't watching I would try to buy it. But for the real world I use a 07 Taco 4x4 and lust after a Brute. It fits my needs and is sized for where I go.

Acetylene

Explorer
My DD is a 2014 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi QC. I'm lifting it and putting on 35's with the upcoming tax check. My current trail vehicle is my 84 CJ-7 and my current project is a 1978 J10 Quadtrac with a mildly rebuilt 401. The J10 is gonna be a beast!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I really like the 2017 Colorado ZR2--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Tazman

Adventurer
Best of both worlds

Ok here is a question for all jeep guys, you have your jeep but of you were to buy a truck what would it be and why?

would you pick smiting that can be significantly modified like a jeep or something way different?

what truck would you use for overlanding if you did not use your jeep?

I have a 1986 CJ7 that I purchased about ten years ago with 20k miles, it now has 30k. Purchased it was very stock but as things have broken or worn out I have upgraded things. 30" MS AT tires, shocks, 1" lift for tire clearance, new Rock Hard tire rack, E Lockers front and rear, and seats. It is a great hunting and wheeling rig but driving it a couple hundred/thousand miles to get somewhere, it would beat me up.

I purchased a 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4 loaded with all the goodies including heated seats and air con. I now tow the jeep using a Blue Ox towbar. I love the truck as a daily driver. It is stock except for shocks and BFG AT tires. I wheel the truck when needed but it is no substitute for the jeep. Just the size and weight itself is a limitation.

In the next 5 years I will probably get a newish Lexus or Land Cruiser. My body is a bit tender and I NEED the creature comforts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk